Pipe stem question..loosening?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I've found that with some of the pipes I've owned over time the fit of the stem into the shank get looser. I've experienced this with some Savinellis. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there anything I can do to correct it? :?:

Not sure about correcting it (others will have more info) but for preventing it:

1) use a bit of beeswax to lubricate the stem
2) only (and always) turn clockwise while removing or inserting
3) remove the stem infrequently - you don't need to remove the stem to clean after each smoke - only once a month or so
4) always wait for the pipe to cool completely (not just to the touch, but to the core - about 30 min) before removing the stem

If you don't smoke a pipe for a long time, sometimes it will loosen up a bit. If these are routinely smoked, beeswax on the tenon will help to tighten them up a bit.

Other than that, you can play with things like nail polish on the tenon, but I still think that's a fairly temporary solution - I can't see it holding up.

Jazz... I do alot of repairs on Savs. If it is 6 or 9mm filter system you need to either smoke it with an adapter tube or inset a balsa filter. If you choose to smoke it as is too, much moisture seems to build in the shank as the wood expands from the moisture. Over time they loosen up. Sav Seconds called Capitols are the biggest culprits.

Ditto on what Galdalf said.

If you cannot sort it out I suggest contacting LL at "precision pipe repair" I am more than willing to help but you would need to ship the pipes half way round the world!

Good luck!

i am glad you posted this. i have been taking mine apart after each smoke (and the pipe cooled) for cleaning the stem. mainly cause i have been putting a little bourbon through them each time to keep it clean and did not want to get any in the bowl. sounds like i have been going to far with my cleaning.

Hey there. Get a bottle of super glue with the brush on applicator. One small coat will do the trick, depending on how loose it is. It will chip off after some use- especially on vulcanite- but the process can be repeated. Also, even though its super glue, it won´t actually bond with the plastic so once it chips off your tenon will be as it was. Good if you´re a collector or wish to sell it later. Just did it on a Duhnill and a who-know´s-what-it-is billiard last week. Keeps ´em smokeable.

I've read if you get a drill with the shank (the solid part you chuck, not the spirals ) a few thousandths larger than the airway, you can heat the tenon and insert the shank of the drill into the airway to expand the outside dimension thus tightening the fit,,,a more permanent solution to the problem,,,,

Have not used this procedure, just passing info along,,,

I've done that and it works. BUT you gotta know that the tenon isn't delrin. Delrin won't take to that treatment at all. But delrin tenons don't usually get loose either...

Sasquatch":gg7ce4y9 said:
I've done that and it works. BUT you gotta know that the tenon isn't delrin. Delrin won't take to that treatment at all. But delrin tenons don't usually get loose either...
We replace a lot of broken tenons with delrin inserts, and jip, you are right!! Dalrin is just fantastic "self lubricating" stuff.
I Second that SASQUATCH!

Sasquatch":gb3gg19l said:
Had to bring this topic back up, as my Sav Bruna suffers the same problem with a very loose stem. This is one of my fav pipes, its been my workhorse for the past 5 years and I want to keep smoking it, so I'm getting ready to do the boiling water trick. How can you tell or not if its Delrin? If its Delrin will the boiling harm it?
Thanks

I have had succsess with an advice from Dubinthedam.

Pour freshly boiled water in a cup and hold the tenion (only) in it for 10-15 seconds.
Then hold the tenion in cold water for about 20 seconds. Whipe off, wait five minutes, insert in shank. Problem solved.

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I will give it a shot and report back...

A pipe not smoked for an extended period of time will also loosen up. I remove the stem after every smoke for cleaning, and have done that for forty years, and some of my pipes are that old. Frequent removal is not the problem, as far as I am concerned, as I never have any problem with a pipe I regularly smoke. The couple I have had loosen up, I have used clear nail polish with pretty much permanent results. Tried beeswax first, and found it to be temporary, it wears or melts away in time.

I tried the nail polish/super glue trick and it's working great. Almost had a moment of such monumental stupidity it still makes me shake my head. I was about a half a millisecond away from inserting the *still wet* end back into the pipe. Then my obviously well honed intellect kicked in and said to me "Charlie, you know what super glue is right?"

Yeah. :roll: