Pipe Storage Solution

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
After three years, I've accumulated just under 40 pipes in my regular rotation.  Since that time, I've gone thru several attempts to store them in an area that suited my use and my wife's aesthetics.  In this case, form definitely trumps function.  

I've kept most of my collection in our dining room, which was never popular solution, despite the convenience.  I started out with a vintage smoking stand we've owned for 20 years, but quickly outgrew the top of that small piece.  I've added various racks and even a 16 pipe Sherlock Holmes case.  I collect Syroco or other "Westie/Scottie" individual stands and those helped.  But the collection was getting spread out, including partially in our finished area of the basement (less convenient).  

Another problem was a cat taht we acquired last year, who has since learned to jump on things, like that stand above.  I had moved all the racks and stands to higher ground on top of our dining room china cabinet, but not a great solution.  

Today, I found what should get me thru the next several years.  I have been searching for a curved, vintage (1930's or so) curved glass cabinet and we found one today.  It's not perfect, but the four shelves hold all of my pipes and tobacco jars on the bottom shelf.  It's in our little used dining room, so the wife is happy.  Happy wife, happy life, eh?  I have two, "Fairfax" brand 6 pipe racks and added a 3rd this morning via Ebay.  They will fit all the way across on shelf and I'll be looking for more as they pop up.  

I have the Sherlock Holmes case in the classifieds section, give me a shout if it interests you.  I'll also have it in the car for the Richmond show.

What a GREAT IDEA! I love those curved glass cabinets, and it seems to work great for pipe storage!!!!
Zach

Thanks. I've looked at these curved glass (china?) cabinets, glass door bookcases and small servers. Also "barrister" style bookcases (crazy expensive..). Most were over $200 and still needed some level of refinishing. This one isn't perfect, the lock doesn't belong nor work well. But, I don't need a lock and I"ll just find and put on an old brass knob. The feet aren't original, but we seem to find loose claw-style feet in junk shops, so I'll be looking for a set of those to class it up a bit.

But it definitely will hold my collection. I think with the right racks, around 90 pipes is possible (18 on the back, 12 in front on each shelf) with jar storage below. Perhaps I'll invest in one of those fancy, Comoys decorated jars for the top.

If anyone is interested in my Sherlock Holmes case, give me a shout.

Yak":k1e39rmv said:
They all fit in there now . . .   :lol!: 

:face:
STAYING TUNED
Like all the good urban community sprinkled around the country, I've planned for growth......

pepesdad1":zd3hmini said:
Great cabinet...room on top of the unit for more pipes!
Unfortunately, that is in the cats "jump zone". My wife put my grandfathers pocket watch up there and I'm nerfous about it......

That is a great china closet. Now I sort of regret giving my sister-in-law our exactly the same one a couple years ago.

Aristokles":okkp8bpi said:
That is a great china closet. Now I sort of regret giving my sister-in-law our exactly the same one a couple years ago.
We have a 1930's dining room set and most of my regular smokers were on the top of that china cabinet. Unfortunately, my wife has filled the interior with..........her china....

Put the watch in with the pipes !!!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO place in a house a cat can't get. Even kittens. I think they must levitate.

Yak":glzwf37k said:
There is NO place in a house a cat can't get. Even kittens. I think they must levitate.

I have to second this! My little lovely felines get into things in ways that baffle me.

Yak":83vukthy said:
Put the watch in with the pipes !!!!!!!!!!!!

It is in there now, that cat is like Spiderman!

That's a great pipe cabinet! Very unique! and the perfect place to display your collection. Nice work!

Just to get folks thinking about potential cabinets, here are two I considered:

This one was $200 and it needed some work. It might have been a little too small but it was made of cherry, which matches more of our furniture.

I wiffed on this one, it was $165 an would have been perfect. Nice and dark, good for vulcanite stems. I made an offer of $125, which was declined. It needed some help inside, new shelves needed to be constructed (fairly simple). I decided to pay the full price a few days later and someone was at the shop buying it. You snooze, you lose!

Al two things. First put the watch in the cabinet, it'll be safer! Second put a strap on the back and attach it to the wall or even a long screw through the back into the wall. Cats while usually graceful can knock over a cabinet like that fairly easily. (Happened to my sister in law). The glass in those things is crazy expensive to replace! She had to replace one of the side pieces and paid over 200 to get it!

Jim