Pipe Tobacco for Cigarette Smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSETTLE

Reaction score
Brothers,

I am trying to give the cigarettes up and just smoke my pipes. I am a big burley fan. What blends do you advise for a guy to smoke to help with this?

For a variety, I assume we are talking higher N value blends, Kendal Kentucky, which can be had in a shag or thick cut. Or a variety of Gawith blends actually. Kendal no. 7 has an oily scent according to Cathy, not so much chocolate as described. Then there are their ropes. Or scented blends.

C&D has some pretty knock out stuff that will have to be ordered from them, or Mike at Mars Cigars will do it for you. #005 Kelly's Coin is a strong burley meant for blending. Quite smokable, if you like really strong blends. Or use it to enhance those milder blends.

Charles Fairmorn Dark Fired Shag is some pretty amazing stuff. For intensely strong, yet deep tobacco flavor.

I recommend also trying some nice English blends of which there are a huge number. You might find that smoking GL Pease Meridian or Dunhill Standard Mixture all day will do it for you. And certainly be more interesting than some of the stronger, more one dimensional blends.

I am looking for something with a strong "N" kick, but also has a good room note. I have tried a few English blends, but I do not care for Latikia.

Try Peterson's Irish Flake. Predominately Virginia and Burley, with a little Oriental (Turkish). Strong N kick. I don't detect any Latakia, and the Oriental is barely there.

ITSETTLE":i4ums7je said:
I have tried a few English blends, but I do not care for Latikia.
Good. There might be hope for you yet... :mrgreen:

Actually EC Outlaw hit the nail on the head. Irish Flake is a very good blend with plenty of 'N'.

Although not as high in the 'Vitamin N' content, Peterson's Irish Whiskey is a really good blend too - great natural flavor and leaves a nice room note as well.

I've been there myself, and I'll tell you the blend that helped me quit (and I was a heavy smoker): C&D's Old Joe Krantz. This is an incredible burley/VA/perique blend with a nice room note and a powerful, somewhat sweet flavor but with no added flavorings. It's a strong smoke but very gentle on the tongue, so it can be smoked all day. It's also a bulk blend, so it's reasonably priced. You can get a month's supply for what you'd pay for a carton of cigarettes.

Rob_In_MO
Thanks, I think I will try the Petersons you suggested.

jj1015,

I will order 1 pound of what you have suggested. Thanks guys

- Matt -

I agree with OJK. While not quite as potent as some of the GH blends mectioned you may want to give Prince Albert a try.

Dave,

Thanks for the post. I will give that a shot. BTW, what park of Philly are you in? I was in the Navy and stationed at Willow Grove, PA for four years. I miss the area.

MisterE":lewruut4 said:
5 Brothers. Serious N in there. ;)
This for all burley and yes, lots of strength. A good burley OTC (some VA) I can recommend, though not as strong by a longshot is Carter Hall. Burley and a bit of Cigar Leaf puts you on my favorite burley blend, Storm Front.

ITSETTLE":m7ul2xyo said:
Rob_In_MO
Thanks, I think I will try the Petersons you suggested.

jj1015,

I will order 1 pound of what you have suggested. Thanks guys

- Matt -
I think you're going to be pleased with that result. I was never a heavy cig smoker, but I did go through 2 or 3 packs a week - pales in comparison to what most "smokers" go through, and I'd sort of started phasing out cigs in favor of much-preferred pipe tobacco, but OJK helped get me over the hump.

Also, it's really and truly great that you're trying to give up cigs. But frankly, if you really want to improve your life, you'll need to take an important second step - stop being a Steelers fan. 8)

IDBOWMAN,

Thanks for the advice. Are you a Bungles or Brownies fan?

Browns.

And I say that with the appropriate amount of shame and self-loathing, I assure you!

1) It isn't about Vitamin N. People can smoke Five Brothers all day while chewing Lakeland ropes and still want a cigarette.

2)
The Browns did make some good draft picks.
What year was that ?

:face:
WISE ASS

ITSETTLE":bjffs778 said:
Dave,

Thanks for the post. I will give that a shot. BTW, what park of Philly are you in? I was in the Navy and stationed at Willow Grove, PA for four years. I miss the area.
I'm in the Mt. Airy section (down the hill from Chestnut Hill).

When were you at Willow Grove? I hear talk about the town reopening it as a private airport but the residents keep shooting it down. Its really a shame. Its a huge bit of really nice property to just sitting there idle.

Dave,

I was at Willow Grove from 2002 to 2006. Nice area, I miss the people there.

Matt

idbowman":7a5mjv47 said:
Browns.

And I say that with the appropriate amount of shame and self-loathing, I assure you!
YOU BASTARD! NEVER COW TOW TO A STEELERS FAN!!!!!

xoxo,

Cowboys fan