pipe tobacco humidor cleaning questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmen84

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean out a humidor for pipe tobacco? Can I use rubbing alcohol or just a wet cloth? Advice is welcomed.

Depends on what it's made of which you did not describe. if it's a glass or glazed ceramic humidor, I'd merely hand wash it in hot water with some dish soap, rinse well with hot water and set over in your dish strainer to air dry. If it's a wooden one with a metal "can" type of liner I'd do the same. If it's an unglazed ceramic probably just plain hot water with a rub out with some alcohol and let dry. Good luck either way :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, ceramic or glass jars with screw top lids are best for bulk pipe tobacco. Or keep in the original tins for short term storage (few weeks).

Don't use an old cigar humidor that has wood lining. You could wind up with tobacco that tastes like cedar. Unless of course you prefer that flavor.

its a copper tin humidor for pipe tobacco made by duk it I might just clean it out and use it for looks.

vmen84":vuye3e52 said:
its a copper tin humidor  for pipe tobacco made by duk it I might just clean it out and use it for looks.
Those old vintage humidors are great to have in your collection, but they rarely hold moisture well.

For short term storage I prefer small Tupperware style containers, which allow me to mist the inside of the lid if needed. For long term storage I prefer mason jars, or the original tin. Just depends on the style of the tin.