Pipe tool recomendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blr1911

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a more sophisticated tamper/reamer/poker tool than the Czech one?

Looking to spend less than $100, but that can be bumped if something nice is out there.

Thanks!

I make my own using clay and nails or screws. This let's me decide how wide I want the tamper as well as the color and design.

* Pipe nail

*Czech pipe tool

*Pocket knife (straight blade edge)

*Drill bits for opening caking-over throats. (Tap wrench handle : optional).

Good to go.

:face:

He's looking for "a more sophisticated" tool." I'm guessing that means he wants to class things up a bit. I can appreciate that. I wouldn't mind being a bit more James Bond than I am. He had the coolest gadgets.

Not a tool but I have the red one in the middle and It's gotten some nice comliments when I've used it.

tamper_full_set_peterson_sherlock_holmes.jpg

Dutch":68va38zi said:
If you really want the ultimate, you could go for one of these, but then you might worry yourself with losing it.....

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?detail=24399
I've wanted one of these for years. Beautiful knife.

The Sheffield pipe knife I linked to is really an amazing deal, especially for $20. It's built well, fits perfectly in the hand, isn't rusting (going on 2 years with mine), feels solid but not overly heavy, and doesn't feel cheap at all. The black side plates feel quality, not plastic-like. Bonus that it's cheap enough to just shrug it off and buy another if you lose it. This and the Savinelli Fitsall reamer are the two most perfect, affordable no nonsense pipe tools I've ever owned. You can get fancier and more expensive, but functionally, you won't get better. Should be a part of every pipers kit, IMHO.

This product is Puff Daddy approved :afro:

Was waiting to post this with my long overdue PAD/TAD post. (I work too much for far too little but that's life!?)
This was a recent present/bomb from my local B&M because I said I had my eye on it for a while. Somehow it was snuck in with my bag of usual TAD. :shock: Might be right up your ally.

Nice poker concealed in one side and large domed tamper on the other. The tamper has vent holes, which I thought was no big deal but boy was I wrong. Now if my pipe is dying out I just cover with the tamper and one quick puff is all it takes to get things going right. Basically like the flue in a chimney keeps the fire going just right. Center is plastic but still a nice pipe tool IMO. Normally sells for $20. (just for reference, this one is mine. :p )

If you are wanting to go a bit upscale, this is the one. I bought this a year ago, thinking it would be a showpiece. Actually, I use it everyday.

Why would you not want to use a Czech tool, which is probably the best pipe tool there is, and for a mere $2.00. Spend your money on more tobacco.

tiltjlp":kgc67pcf said:
Why would you not want to use a Czech tool, which is probably the best pipe tool there is, and for a mere $2.00. Spend your money on more tobacco.
My cellar has grown to about 80lbs now.

I want a pipe knife that will do well with a suit, at a function. The Czech tool is nice around my farm, but a little tacky in some instances.

To toss that question back at you, why use a $2.00 tool and a $600+ pipe?

Smoker99 - where'd you get that???

this one is a step or two up and carries very nicely. slim and the blade is long enough for my pokers and deep cobs. plus it won't break the bank.

th

blr1911":ha3jw2mx said:
tiltjlp":ha3jw2mx said:
My cellar has grown to about 80lbs now.

I want a pipe knife that will do well with a suit, at a function. The Czech tool is nice around my farm, but a little tacky in some instances.

To toss that question back at you, why use a $2.00 tool and a $600+ pipe?

Smoker99 - where'd you get that???
"money talks, the rest walk" you've made it clear "impressions mean more so buy a Laguole Pipe knife. I wouldn't wear my $40.00 blue jeans in my $100,000.00 Mercedes either! How TACKY :twisted: But then I don't own a custom suit or $600.00 pipe so I just use my old Czech tool and Peterson pipe nail I've used for years :twisted: I keep forgeting that if it costs MORE it's BETTER :twisted: :twisted:

blr1911":ek1sr7iw said:
And poking around and reaming your pipe at a fancy function isn't tacky?