Pipe Travesty!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So I was happy to get feedback from the brothers about my new acquisition. The new development is my dog's interest in my pipe as a chew toy. I have immediately learned my lesson as I am not a fan of flushing money down the toilet. However, I am devastated at the loss of some beautiful craftsmanship.

I caught my best friend chomping on the bit of my pipe, and sure enough, he has taken about a quarter of an inch right off the tip. The briar is unharmed, thank goodness.

Can i find a new bit?

Of course this couldn't be a simple round bit, but it has a flattened cross section and comes to points on the sides to match up with the really cool shank on the briar.

I am trying not to break the bank on this one since it wasn't the most expensive pipe in the world, but I'm sure you all know how I feel about this!

go to the walker briar works site. He fashions new stems for pipes...however the stem might cost as much as the pipe itself being as you didn't pay much for it. If its a production pipe that had a preform stem you may be able to contact the company and have them send you out a stem.

That's not a standard shape and you will need to get a hand-cut vulcanite bit made for it. ( I'm sure that is what was on it originally as well) . I don't know what you paid for the pipe but I would say that a repair like that possibly could cost as much as you paid for it. It is not a standard taper or saddlebit shape. If it smokes well for you and has some nice grain and does not have fills, it might be worth it. It's up to you ! I take it your talking about your G&D ? Thankfully cats don't like pipes so I don't have that problem :p

boxer, oh if it were that easy... this pipe is already on display two topics down listed under the heading "what kind of pipe is this?" if you catch my drift

monbla...yep thats the one....

some people just can't have nice things, and apparently i am one of them.

Boxerbuddy":drjmrcy3 said:
If its a production pipe that had a preform stem you may be able to contact the company and have them send you out a stem.
Well, that's the problem, now isn't it? (see jefes other thread in this forum) Sorry about your luck, man. Good luck with that replacement.

Well, that's the problem, now isn't it? (see jefes other thread in this forum) Sorry about your luck, man. Good luck with that replacement.
thanks for the well wishes. i really liked the look and feel of this pipe.

Hey Monbla,

I have a cat, and he has broken three pipes. The tenon on two calabash and the shank on a cavalere that I made.

If I am not paying sufficient attention to him, I am guessing this is the trigger, he will climb onto my computer table, which always has pipes on it, and begins pushing something, only sometimes a pipe, towards the edge. If I don't do someithing, the object will plummet to the floor, he will watch it with interest for a brief period, and then look at me.

I have had a cat in the past that liked to claim attention in the same context, he used to invariably go to sit on the mouse pad when I was working, but he didn't other wise displace objects on the table top.

anthony

If you like the pipe, fix it. I remember years ago I took a favorite into a fairly prestigious local shop and the repairman all but refused to repair it as it would "cost more than the pipe was worth". I was a poor grad student and also more than a little intimidated by the guy who at least acted like he knew a lot more than I did. I left and subsequently threw the pipe away. I've never gotten over losing that pipe; if it was today I'd tell the guy, "It's my money; just fix it!"

If it were mine I would have it re-stemmed .So what if it costs more than what you paid for it.Taken care of the pipe will give you a good many years of service. Well worth the cost IMO.

UPDATE!!!!

Dropped by IRC.... they sent it out and a new bit will be fitted.

Bad news: 9 week turnaround

Good news: 24 bucks for a custom lucite job. I figured it wasn't vulcanite because it BROKE when the dog chomped it, not just deformed and smushed.

Other good news: they have a Peterson St. Pats 2012 Bent Bulldog that could become a crown jewel... So tempting....

Well, I dont work again til thursday, but if i have a good day, i might pick it up friday morning.... I hope they keep it in stock long enough.

Where there's a will, there's a way !! :p Glad to hear it will join the land of the living! As to that Pete, LAY-AWAY !! Ask anyway :p