Pipe Truths <Please Join In>

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
*Almost any pipe you ever buy is bound to fall a triffle bit short of your expectations. Though it looked sooo great in the
pics,it'll either be too big or too small when you open the box it was shipped in...

*Almost every pipe rack you buy won't hold your larger or full bent pipes properly. Sometimes you've just gotta turn those stems 180%...

*The pipes you own aren't "the hot pipe of the moment". If you sell your pipes to buy "the hot pipe of the moment" you'll find that the one's you're selling are currently "the cold pipe of the moment"...

*That battered old Stanwell you've got probably smokes better than that $10,000 Bo Nordh that you saw for sale but you still yearn for it anyway...

*Their are NO bargins on left E-Bay anymore! There used to be but now it's it's own pipe show and it's doors never close. If a pipe looks like it's gonna go cheap, somebody will always bid it up on you and usually in the last seconds of the auction much to your disdain...

* The tobacco you now love will someday be disscontinued forever, made available in Europe only or the recipe for it will be changed in some drastic way. If you realize this now and REALLY stock up on that blend for the future you will find that in the future it won't be the tobacco that you love at this time.

** THE BRAND VS BRIAR DEBATE MADE FAMOUS IN THE NASPC NEWSLELETTER WILL NEVER BE RESOLVED WITH CONVINCING RESULTS FROM EITHER CAMP! THERE'S REALLY NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER TO IT EITHER**

Please share your own pipe truths....

Pipe truth: For the dozens of brands and thousands of tobacco blends, if a pipe is being lit somewhere in America, odds are it's a bowlful of a Lane-manufactured cavendish blend (either bulk or Captain Black.)

There are no smokers with big pipes, just smokers with small heads.
Conversely, there are no smokers with big heads, just sm... wait... there are smokers with a big head..

Within 12 months of eBaying off those incredibly lucrative old GLP tins you will kick yourself in the ass for doing so.

Buddy

The Pipe that looked so beautiful on eBay and you bid on till it hurt and won, when it arrives in your hands. You look it over and see it is completely clogged with a rotted out filter and the bottom of the bowl is burned out.

Even while knowing full well that there are no bargains to be had on e-bay anymore, you will still find yourself checking ebay daily, looking for a good bargain.

There will be no matches in the house when your lighter runs out of butane.
(Birthday candles lit on the kitchen stove are a very poor substitute)

Packs of lighter flints evaporate,,,how else can you explain their disappearance when you need one?

You will find the same pipe you bought today on sale at another site tomorrow.

"The best bowl of tobacco is the one left unsmoked"

And with umpteen tampers I still use my finger the most.

If you see your favorite pipes on sale buy a few, tomorrow they will be sold out and one is never enough.

As soon as you finally break down and decide to spend all your money on that awesome pipe that you agonized over for days and days, you see another one that you want even more.

Even the best pipe can't make bad tobacco taste any better, but great tobacco will taste good in almost any smokable pipe.

A knock-your-socks-off blast of massive nicotine is best first thing in the morning. Something like Gawith, Hoggarth Happy Brown Bogie. From there, move to more sane blends that are easier on the system. I love the stuff...

If you see the "perfect pipe" online and decide to buy it on Friday... someone else will buy it on Thursday :|

If the pipe smokes well from the start, it's a keeper, irrispective of brand and shape. I have had cheaper mid range pipes outsmoke the big guns on many ocasions.

Even though you know in your heart, you don't need anymore pipes, you will keep buying them and rationalize your decision.

bronxbill":syg9zq9x said:
Even though you know in your heart, you don't need anymore pipes, you will keep buying them and rationalize your decision.
So true, Bill, so true.

cutshot":i5ei35yy said:
You can't handle the pipe truths! :)
I can when they are filtered through a thick cloud of latakia, in fact the world seems a better place when when seen through the soft haze of pipe smoke.

Another personal truth, I cannot talk about or review a blend with out some musical reference, ironically the last musical instrument I touched was a recorder in 3rd grade.

I have no formula for choosing a pipe; I just recognize mine when I see it.

I refer to eBay as, “the place I get out-bid.”

I spend way more time anticipating a pipe than actually smoking.

It is considerably more difficult to smoke a pipe while walking a bulldog puppy than I would have ever imagined.

Life is what happens between pipes.