Pipe Weight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Why do sites like Iwan Ries and Cup O' Joes not list the weights of their pipes? I need to know the weight of a pipe before purchasing it, as I like to clench... and heavy pipes make for a sore jaw. Am I out of line here?... or does anyone else feel that weight is just as an important specification as diameter, height, length, etc...?
Milan

Weight is really important to me when I buy a pipe anywhere, but especially online. If everything else fits, but the weight does not, I won't buy the pipe. If they don't list weight, I only window shop there. Fortunately, I live near Iwan Ries so I can actually handle their inventory. :D

Generally speaking, I like pipes that weight less than 2 oz, preferably between .9 oz an 1.6 oz. Like I said, this is a generality, but the pipes that I smoke the most fall into this weight range.

For the reason you mentioned, Milan, I too always check the weight on a pipe before buying.

That's why Smokingpipes is one of the best places to shop. They tell you everything in their listings. Of course if I really like a pipe and the weight is not given, I call and ask them. The PipeRack was always good about weighing a pipe when I called.

I need to know the weight as well. If im buying a pipe in person I can just feel it--don't need to know the exact weight. If buying online I have to ask if it's not listed like Mike said... Ideally I like between 20-45 grams. 2 oz is about the heaviest I'm able to comfortably to hold in my teeth

I agree about the importance of listing weight. I prefer no more than 40 grams

Steve

edited to correct units

I want to think I remember a artical about old briar being lighter than some of the newer briars and being better smokers. I could be wrong. but I know Ive read something about the light weight and dencity of the briar. Hell now Im confused.

I hope you meant "grams" Steve! I'm good with pipes up to about 50 grams, as I'm not so much a clencher. The shape of the bit is just about as important as I like something to grab onto. The bit on my Sea Rock is just about perfect and makes the KKKK size work for me.

My preference is less than 50g. Makes smoking "hands free" a whole lot more enjoyable.

Interesting topic for me. I'm a clencher and I love large pipes. Weight has never been a concern for me. Perhaps my jaw has just grown very strong as I have acclimated to large pipes, with thick walled bowls that hold a hefty tobacco charge. The factor that probably accounts for comfort is the bend of the stem and the angle of the shank. The largest oom pauls are signifciantly more comfortable than large straight billiards. Ironically though, my largest and heaviest pipe is a straight billiard. I guess I'm just a pit bull when it comes to a great smoke.

For me all of the above is important, so when I'm doing chores or working outdoors I break out the cob,

to me it's light and easy smoking and if it falls I dont freak out.

I hear ya brother. The first specification I look at is the diameter of the bowl, then the weight, then the length. But like LIPIPE said, it matter a whole lot more if the pipe is straight.

That's a good question. Weight is very important to me when purchasing a pipe; especially online. I also look closely at the diameter and depth of the tobacco chamber. You really can get a good feel for the size of a pipe by it's weight usually.

I too like to know the weight for any online purchase...I keep a light weight "yard work" pipe in the garage so when im on the tractor mowing or weed eating I can still puff. I saw a picture of a pipe somewhere that had a chain attached to the stem and a cap on the bowl. so you could wear it. I think it was called the "sportsman". anyways I want one of those for my yard work, Heck I might just rig me up one.

Interesting topic indeed!

Here’s my story. I have several high grade pipes that are beautiful and I enjoy smoking them. However, I have tended to neglect them because of two factors: (1) the bits are either uncomfortable, or (2) they’re very large and weight more than the rest of my pipes in rotation or a combination of the two. For the hell of it, I recently bought some rubber tips just to try them out to see whether the bits on these pipes would be more comfortable.

I’ve been using these rubber tips now for about two weeks and to my surprise, not only do they make the bits more comfortable, but now the weight doesn’t seem to be such an issue. One pipe in particular is a Rinado straight bulldog, a really big honker, but a very sweet smoke. Because of the rubber tip, I can now hold it in by jaw with very little problem and it’s back in rotation! Amazing!

I did have to get used to the tips, though. Obviously, they make the bits a little thicker. But it took only a few days of using the tips to become accustom to them.

Something to try out if you’re having a similar problem.

The only reason weight isn't an issue with me is that I only buy corncobs. I'm not a clencher, so my oversized briar cherrywood poker isn't a problem.

I'm a clencher and weight is also very important to me. That's why so many of my pipes have come from Smoking Pipes.com. I have purchased pipes from other sights that didn't list weight and ended up selling them because my jaws couldn't handle the weight. That's what happened to my Lannes Johnson: beautiful pipe that smoked superbly but was WAY too heavy to clench for any length of time.

Smokey