Pipe went thru the wash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atskuv

Reaction score
A year or so age my straight pipe went thru the wash and when I smoked out of it it tasted like soap. I tried it out again 7 or 8 month ago and it smoked really bad is there some way to salvage it. ??clean it soak it there has to be something ! :oops: :oops:

do you have a link for some more information , like how much , what kind of salt what kind of alcohol and how long to let it set

Thanx
Jeff

First of all - don't get alcohol on the outside finish of the pipe!

Remove the stem and pour as much table salt down the shank as you can. Plug the hole with something like a small cork.
Turn the pipe and fill the bowl with salt as well. You want to completely fill the pipe with table salt.
With the pipe supported so that it won't tip, pour the strongest unflavoured alcohol that you can find into the pipe. Everclear is an example of what you may use.
Leave the pipe until you think the alcohol has evaporated, then wait another week to be sure. The salt should turn colour as the gunk from the pipe is pulled into the salt by the alcohol.
Dig the salt out of the pipe with your pipe tool. Use pipe cleaners on the shank and airhole.
That's it. Make sure it is completely dry and try smoking it.

Recall that alcohol is flammable so you have to be sure that all of the alcohol has evaporated before setting flame to tobacco!

That's my version....

dougc905":ynractpu said:
First of all - don't get alcohol on the outside finish of the pipe!

Remove the stem and pour as much table salt down the shank as you can. Plug the hole with something like a small cork.
Turn the pipe and fill the bowl with salt as well. You want to completely fill the pipe with table salt.
With the pipe supported so that it won't tip, pour the strongest unflavoured alcohol that you can find into the pipe. Everclear is an example of what you may use.
Leave the pipe until you think the alcohol has evaporated, then wait another week to be sure. The salt should turn colour as the gunk from the pipe is pulled into the salt by the alcohol.
Dig the salt out of the pipe with your pipe tool. Use pipe cleaners on the shank and airhole.
That's it. Make sure it is completely dry and try smoking it.

Recall that alcohol is flammable so you have to be sure that all of the alcohol has evaporated before setting flame to tobacco!

That's my version....

Did the same thing but after I cleaned out the salt it still tasted bad. Had to run everclear through it again and let it dry. After that no problem.

I'm going to pack the pipe today and use a high 160 proof devil springs vodka with pickling salt I hope that's good and I don't need to use regular table salt with the iodine in it

Thanks guys
Jeff

I have a pipe that smells like someone smoked crushed up cigarettes in it. Maybe I should try the salt/alc method.