Pipe Zippo...or...Matches?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
I own a Pipe zippo, and I own matches, I was just curious, which should be used in a pipe. I refuse to use a Bic lighter because I feel like it's just DUMPING butane into my tobacco. Any thoughts?

Others apparently disagree, but I recommend and use a regular Zippo to light my pipe when outdoors or on the road. Some complain about the fumes but, used correctly, there aren't any worth considering. You flip the lid and bring the lighter up in an arc before spinning the spark wheel. This dissipates the fumes. And let it burn a second before bringing the flame to the bowl. The flame is so large that lighting is a snap, even though you may have to tilt the bowl a bit. None of my bowl rims are charred, so that speaks for itself.

Indoors, I prefer a wooden match. They are really a pain in the butt, with burning heads flying off and stuff, but they give a more precise light and have a more satisfying esthetic feel. Good luck trying to find any good ones. Apparently some government agencies have been hard at work protecting us from matches that actually make fire.

Initial light with a match. Relights with a Zippo. I do have an Old Boy kicking around here some place, but it's kind of been neglected.

When I'm at home, I use wooden kitchen matches only. When out and about, I have an old Dunhill Rollalite fuel pipe lighter I've used since I got it in the early '70s. I haven't really noticed any "fumes" from the lighter that have effected the taste of my tobacco when lighting with it all these years. I prefer wooden matches when I can, but the lighter is far more convenient when out.

I use an Old Boy at home & a Zippo pipe lighter elsewhere.

Richard Burley":no9hn1fl said:
Good luck trying to find any good ones. Apparently some government agencies have been hard at work protecting us from matches that actually make fire.
Always looking out for our welfare!
I'm a match guy, and yes, the quality is iffy.
Sometimes I pick up some premium match's at a gift shop in Chinatown, of all places, and those are great. But $4 buck a box is not so...

$4.00 a box of 50 ??? :affraid: Let's see I pay $1.00 for two boxes of 350 ea. thats $00.0014 ea match and you pay $00.08 for ea. match. I wish i had as much $s as you to burn up !!!! Must be nice :p

With a match, you have the ability to "paint" the top of the bowl with a wide flame. This can be approximated easily enough with a lighter, but for learning purposes it sometimes helps to start with matches so you know how you "should" be lighting with a far more convenient lighter. Like a lot of these guys, I use matches indoors and a lighter when out, with a preference for the Zippo piper.

As I typically don't smoke indoors (unlness at a tobacconist), I find the Zippo to work pretty well. I'm not a fan of the fluid, even if it is "low odor" these days, but wind is a tough one to deal with. There's butane drop-in inserts for Zippos that have their fans and their critics, too.

Butane lighters are fine, too, so long as you are enjoying your smoke. If you're sucking butane and not getting the pipe lit, it can really be frustrating--though they usually light pretty reliably. I like butane lighters that are angled that can shoot down into the bowl, this helps immensely, and can even work pretty good while in the wind.

On the Bic subject, they're cheap, reliable, and you won't kick yourself for losing one (check the prices of Old Boy and Dunhill lighters--losing one of those would hurt, both because they're great lighters and rather expensive). Plenty of guys use Bics, I keep one as a standby. I find the Bic Mini to be easy to handle and manage with a pipe.

Matches are great, they work well when indoors, and have a wide flame to really get the pipe going easily, I just find them awkward to use when working in the field and being outside, so I don't use them.

Lighters are kind of a pain in general because they can eat you alive spending $10 - $20 at a time finding the right one, and I've often bitched and moaned at how a $1.00 disposable Bic is a great lighter, but a lot of the more expensive lighters don't offer the same reliability.

Find what works for you and gives you the best smoke. 8)

So matches indoors, lighters outdoors. Makes sence. I've had no problem with my Pipe Zippo, aslong as I got fluid in it. I've been carrying a Zippo since I started smoking. (14). Gramps gave me one that I lost once, and never lost again. Than I got a few collectors, than I recieved one for my birthday that I thought I lost, but my friend stole and used a dremel tool to carve my initials in, and now I got my matte black Pipe Zippo, that I only use when I gotta pipe. I've never really had trouble losing things.

monbla256":cja4zxyw said:
$4.00 a box of 50 ??? :affraid: Let's see I pay $1.00 for two boxes of 350 ea. thats $00.0014 ea match and you pay $00.08 for ea. match. I wish i had as much $s as you to burn up !!!! Must be nice :p
I only use them to light premium blends in my premium pipes while wearing premium shoes and underwear (worn on the outside of my premium pants, so everyone can appreciate them). For everything else, I use common people's matches that I purchase locally at the "Target". 8)

GuitarMyFriend":m2kz9zp7 said:
AND THAT!!!! My good sir... is class...
Expense does NOT denote CLASS contrary to what Madison Ave. would have you belive, it's merely expense, no more no less.

Sir, I was content with a plastic peice of garbage that I called a pipe for about a year. I do not determine class based on expense. I determine class based on class. That man's answer was dripping with class. Your answer also, was saturated with class. I thank you. I'm proud to be apart of a forum so informative, and full of... class...
Zach

I like to use good matches, but

Matches2.jpg

"Strike Nowhere Matches" :scratch:

I long for the unsafe days to return when I could light a match on my zipper or a rock. :afro:

I use mini bics when I am hanging out with people of questionable character. :suspect:

In other settings I use a Nimrod flint pipe lighter, Colibri Connaught II butane, Kaywoodie flint pipe lighter, but rarely use matches.

Fire is fire. You could use a magnifying glass and the sun if you had to. lol

I cannot stand the taste of petrol from my Zippo pipe lighter.matches offer better control but I usually use an IMCO butane pipe lighter.This usually sells for about 10 to 12 dollars in the UK.The only drawback is at that price the build quality is not that good ,but they usually last about 2 to 3 years and unlike more expensive lighters if you lose it you do not cry. :pirate: :pirate: