Pipes-A-Day???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

Reaction score
Disclaimer:
I'm guessing this is the correct area to put this in. If not, I apologize and will gladly follow it to its new home. Also, if there is already a thread on this subject, I apologize, but I did not see it in my quick search on the topic.

All that aside, how many pipes a day do you smoke? I've been smoking a pipe for a few years now, but have recently (coincidentally, "recently" refers to when I first started finding out about all these fine artisan tobaccos) begun smoking a lot more than I used to. For a long time, I would smoke my pipe once or twice a week, and would occasionally go for a couple weeks without smoking it at all.

Now that I'm smoking more, I'm naturally more concerned about the health risks. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I looked up some stuff on le internét and, of course, the number of health risks are directly proportional to how much you smoke (duh).

I try to limit myself to 2 pipes a day, but I read on one site that limiting yourself to 4 pipes a day was good.

So spill it, brothers, and be honest.

How many a day?

1 a day during the week, 2 to 3 on my days off.

Ususally it's bowlful a day. Some days I don't smoke at all. Occasionally I light a second bowl late at night when I feel like it but I rarely do. When I get a new pipe I tend to smoke it more often, say every other day in addition to normal rotation, to get it ship shape. Then I mellow down again.

As for health risks they are there but thinking about them too much will start ruining the experience. As with everything else in the world the key is not to overdo it with smoking. Be reasonable. One thing you might want to do is to rinse your mouth after a smoke with warm water. You often get tiny pieces of char and tar in your mouth that you might well do without. I also think that anti-smoking capaigns can work in a suggestive manner (i.e. by making you concentrate on health risks you start imbuing them on yourself psychologically). You guys on the other side of the pond are lucky. Out here they glue pics of dissected lungs and tumored throats on the tobacco tins with promises of future impotence and whatnot. Might as well start painting roadkill bodies on the bumpers of new vehicles.

heh, or tattoo babies on penes.

I smoke 1 bowl, about 3x a week in winter, daily in summer, often quitting for a year at a time. I seem immune to nicotine addiction.

7-10 bowls a day. Yeah, I'm a baccy slut. :lol:

2-3 bowls a day and 4-6 on weekends. There are health risks in all of life. Moderation is the key. Pipe smoking also has it's benefits. It brings us peace and calmness as we enjoy the whole process of smoking. Pipe smoking is for the patient man, something not to be rushed. So, relax and enjoy your pipe. You are in very good company.

Ken

For me I try to limit my pipe smoke at once a day. Sometimes, I make the point I am not addicted to nicotine and I skip a day or two. And actually if I skip a day or two, I tend to enjoy more the smokes thereafter and enjoy more this hobby knowing that I am in control.

3-7 a day. Depends on the day. I'm not to worried about the health thing. The way I see it, ill get lead poisoning before I get cancer. I got so much shrapnel in my body I can't even go through a metal detector without it going off.

talrmn35":kwodnq37 said:
LL":kwodnq37 said:
7-10 bowls a day. Yeah, I'm a baccy slut. :lol:
WOW! Where do you find the time?!
The same place you do. Everyone gets 24 hrs a day, right? I'm also an old school clencher, meaning I can smoke while working/using my hands.

Changes all the time but at least one. Or on a lazy weekend day I can smoke six.

Eight to ten bowls, but some of those are from three-inch-tall cob pipes. As for health, I'm sure it's better than the fifty Camels a day I used to suck down.

Seems to me that many times, and ever more increasingly, health experts will exaggerate the risks of smoking. For example, mention the risk of lung cancer even though we don't damn well inhale. Well, given who these people are, the times we live in, and the fact that they care to write about smoking, bias is obviously to be expected. This isn't to say that tobacco has vitamin C in it and stuff.

Some studies, including a 1979 revision of the 1964 Surgeon General's report on the health effects of tobacco have concluded that pipe smokers who have four bowls or fewer tend to live longer than non-smokers. Why is that? I think everyone here knows the answer.