Pipes for the Best Cool, Dry Smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipesNTweeds

Reaction score
Hello:

I was just wondering what pipes (and from which makers) people find to be especially good at delivering a cool, dry, easy smoke? I know that there can be significant variations, even within the same line/model from the same maker, but are there any that seem to have a particularly good track record for offering these qualities?

To make things easier (or perhaps harder), let's narrow the field to pipes under $300 (an arbitrary value, but seems to encompass quite a few of the mid-range makes/models).

Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be great.

Thanks,

Michael

MM Cobs in my experience are pretty high on the list.

I haven't smoked any high end briar, so....

Pretty broad and vague question. First thing you have to do is determine what kind of smoker you are. Do you clench; hold; smoke quickly; slowly; aromatics; english; vapers; how do you pack; where do you smoke; what do you usually do when you smoke?

All of these questions are going to affect what kind of pipe we can recommend. In fact, there are so many variables involved almost any recommendation we supply will be total crap.

A better question is something like this: "In your opinion what pipe smokes the best for the money?"

That question will yield a bunch of different answers, but it will get you going.

My usual response to newer smokers who are looking to break into mid-to higher grade pipes is to get at least one Stanwell, one Savinelli, and one Peterson. Grab some cobs and the occasional basket briar too. Smoke the hell out of all of them. When you're done you'll have a better idea of what you want to look for in a pipe.

Cobs are always a good first choice - inexpensive but usually good smokers. After that I'm prone to Savinelli's. some of the Danish makers, and don't forget the older drug store pipes like Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, etc.

Cool, dry, easy smokes come from experience, both from the tobacco and the smoking process itself. It's not a hard thing to do, but it's no lie saying there's a learning curve. A pipe is one component of many to achieve your goal, and is no guarantee of success.

Think of it this way: you get a Honda Accord, one of the most reliable vehicles around, because that's what you read. You still gotta change the oil, rotate the tires, and try not to drive into things. Another guy can get 150K miles out of a 1981 ford Granada because he treated it right and learned all its intricacies, and could outpace a neglected newer Accord any old day.

Think of cobs as a Geo Metro. Not much to look at, work great, and won't break the bank. That's the route I'd go.

8)

I have two Erik Nordings that both smoke very well, one is a Nordcoat, the other briar. I also have a AAleorg made in Denmark which is huge, and it smokes like a dream. I like the look and style of the Denmarks. I also have a Savinelli churchwarden that smokes really well.
If I was you, I would look for a few pipe styles that suit you, shape, size, color. Once you know what styles you like I would buy a few different ones and smoke the hell out of them all. I would also read some of the other posts on BOB for new pipe smokers. I read hours of posts and learned a ton. I wish I would have read them all before I bought my first briar pipe which was a Peterson tankard. I could have saved myself days of tongue bite, burning my fingers on the bowl, and just an overall a poor experience with it. It wasn't the pipes fault, I just had no clue what I was doing at the time.

i really like the way my Sav smokes. plus instead of one really nice $300 pipe you should get several really nice sub $100 pipes. oh and a few cobs, of course 8)

Kyle Weiss said:
“Cool, dry, easy smokes come from experience, both from the tobacco and the smoking process itself.”

While I would certainly agree with this, the type of pipe does make a difference.
My choice for a cool, dry smoke is either a cob or a Falcon. :D

Ya know, thinking about it, a Falcon gives me a great smoke! I just don't smoke the metal pipes too much cause they seem to fiddly to me compared to a briar!

bosun1":m4ffm1ue said:
Ya know, thinking about it, a Falcon gives me a great smoke! I just don't smoke the metal pipes too much cause they seem to fiddly to me compared to a briar!
What exactly do you mean by 'fiddly?' :confused:

I have never had a bad smoke from a Savinelli 677. I own four of them.

Andy

Ocelot55":d78hpnig said:
...get at least one Stanwell, one Savinelli, and one Peterson. Grab some cobs and the occasional basket briar too. Smoke the hell out of all of them. When you're done you'll have a better idea of what you want to look for in a pipe.
I could't have said it better than that. For your $300 budget, you could probably get an enty-level grade example of all three, and have some change left for a cob or two. any of these would be perfectly appropriate for a new smoker.

Ocelot55":plf17qt7 said:
My usual response to newer smokers who are looking to break into mid-to higher grade pipes is to get at least one Stanwell, one Savinelli, and one Peterson. Grab some cobs and the occasional basket briar too. Smoke the hell out of all of them. When you're done you'll have a better idea of what you want to look for in a pipe.
I'll definitely third this advice. If you are looking to drop 300 you can get a good artisan pipe, but unless you know what you want in a pipe you are better off going Ocelot's route. With this advice you can get yourself straight or bent stems and figure out which style suits your preference best. You can get different bowl sizes, because that makes a difference in your smoking. Heck for 300 you can easily have 3 nice briars and a few cobs and have a complete 7 day rotation going for yourself.

yadan":4rqtmi0g said:
bosun1":4rqtmi0g said:
Smoke a bowl of tabac. Empty the dottle. Unscrew the bowl. Set the bowl on a paper towel. Get a tissue and wipe out the resevoir. Pipe cleaner the stem/shank. Put down stem/shank, pick up bowl. Wipe down underside of bowl. Reassemble pipe. But the pipe does smoke well for me!

bosun1":qowjsqjl said:
yadan":qowjsqjl said:
bosun1":qowjsqjl said:
Smoke a bowl of tabac. Empty the dottle. Unscrew the bowl. Set the bowl on a paper towel. Get a tissue and wipe out the resevoir. Pipe cleaner the stem/shank. Put down stem/shank, pick up bowl. Wipe down underside of bowl. Reassemble pipe. But the pipe does smoke well for me!
OK, so smoking a Falcon does necessitate a few extra seconds of maintenance time and effort. What's the big deal? :confused: The 'instant gratification' mode is designated for cigarette smokers, not us. Furthermore, I actually enjoy all the maintenance procedures involved in caring for my Falcons - they make smoking them all the more enjoyable. :sunny:

Really any pipe. All depends on tobacco and as other men have said your smoking style and experience. I'm a clencher/hanger. No probs with any pipe and mostly english or balkan blends.

yadan":e4z2kkc7 said:
bosun1":e4z2kkc7 said:
yadan":e4z2kkc7 said:
bosun1":e4z2kkc7 said:
OK, so smoking a Falcon does necessitate a few extra seconds of maintenance time and effort. What's the big deal? :confused: The 'instant gratification' mode is designated for cigarette smokers, not us. Furthermore, I actually enjoy all the maintenance procedures involved in caring for my Falcons - they make smoking them all the more enjoyable. :sunny:
Can't disagree with you! If I didn't want to fiddle with them occasionally I would have passed my half dozen or so metal (and nylon) pipes on years ago..

I would put forward Falcons as they are, IMHO, least affected by operator error. Just get yourself a pipe cleaner and they're pretty much idiot proof.

Enjoy!

Ocelot nailed it.

I am still fairly new to this. I have 2 Savinellis that I like quite a bit. About 3 months ago I bought an estate Stanwell.
I am now on the lookout for deals on Stanwells. Just smokes better for me, nothing wrong with the Savs.

Course winning a Tinskey BoB pipe of the year kind of spoiled me! 8)

Pipes aren't nearly as complicated as the users, I've discovered. Unless there's structural failure or totally negligent engineering, almost every pipe can provide someone with a good smoke.

There's learning to smoke pipes, and then there's learning to smoke a single pipe...that's why there's been countless attempts at the "foolproof" universal, perfect pipe for everyone... they don't exist. There's countless perfect pipes out there for each of us though, as we're in varying stages of searching--the experienced dudes smoke the pipes they like, the new dudes often gather like mad. What can I say? It's a fun hobby at any stage, and grows with us.

8)