Pipes for the Best Cool, Dry Smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello:

First off, thank you to everyone that has replied, and for all the wise advice. In my original post, the value of $300 that I mentioned was really arbitrary. From perusing the various online retailers, it seemed to me that there was a price-quality divide between the pipes of larger manufacturers and those crafted by a single artisan. The amount of $300 seemed to split the divide between mass produced pipes of mid-to-upper quality, and the hand-crafted work of single makers. Dunhills sort of mess up this distinction (since they seem to be a larger maker but seemingly have no options below $300).

I agree with those who have suggested that $300 can be best invested in multiple mid-range pipes that are good to excellent smokers. I always try to seek out the best value and if excellent pipes can be had in the $100 range or so, I'd gladly invest in one or two for some variety, and to allow them proper rest between uses.

Since I am new to this pastime, I don't want to go crazy and invest a lot of money. Just enough to start out right. I figure with the right/good quality tools, armed with knowledge and wisdom gained from forums and YouTube, and a bit of patience I can manage to avoid a few pitfalls and beginner mistakes. I'm sure I will make them but at least I might be able to correct them more easily and quickly.

Oh, and of course I need to give a cob or two a try.

If anyone else wishes to comment and offer their suggestions, please do so.

Thanks and all the best,

Michael

I agree with Ocelot that any of the Big Three (Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell) offer well made and well performing pipes for just about any smoking style.

Once you get the hang of the basics of packing and smoking technique you'll discover the differences between different pipes and brands more readily. No two pipes are alike- even identical ones. It's a learning process of how each pipe wants to be smoked to get the best it has to offer.

I'll add that the proverbial "cool and dry smoking pipe" is the holy grail of most pipe enthusiasts, so welcome to the club. :cheers:

Pipe smoking/collecting is one of the few hobbies that truly trounces the notion of "must pay more to get more." There's guys here *cough* who are broke as a joke and have managed to, through shocking generosity of fellow enthusiasts, wise research and a little effort, find complete and immersing joy in pipes. Some don't even consider it a hobby, but a lifestyle. That kind of flexibility in anything is remarkable, and pretty unique.

Anyone who is keeping score or in a race with pipes and tobacco has missed the boat. A very slow, patient and flexible boat. :lol: Sometimes they even jump back on.

8)

It's the flexibility and ease of the nature of pipe smoking that is perhaps the most appealing to me. It's a good journey to be on - a nice, slow, and hopefully long exploration of the pleasure of the briar and a fine tobacco.

Well if you want to start out slowly then the MM cobs are the way to go also I have seen several people mention falcons which are also a great option, another good choice is the dr grabow viking it is pretty much a falcon so much so that falcon sued them and won :)

All of these pipes can be had for 20 dollars or less so jumping in would cost less than 100 cash and you can work your way up from there. I can honestly say that if those were the only 3 pipes I had I wouldn't want for a dam good smoke.

MisterE":cjanyuy4 said:
I agree with Ocelot that any of the Big Three (Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell) offer well made and well performing pipes for just about any smoking style.
For me the Big Three means Savinelli, Stanwell and Sasieni. I do love my 2 Petersons very much but........I do not love the "paint" inside the bowls of Petersons. Wont't buy more of them.

I'm just wondering why Brebbia pipes are absent from this forum? LOL!!! I have 4 Brebbia, 7 Savinelli and 4 Stanwell pipes and all of them are EXCELLENT smokers. Why is it then that Brebbia seems to be not so popular amongst the brothers? :?:

If you can find a top-of-the-line Brebbia going cheap (and they do when they're used -- their list price for new ones is absurd), and the dimensions of it suit you, jump on it. A Linea AAA (memory -- possibly defective) I had would give a Castello a run for its money in smoking quality/taste.

The problem with the inexpensive ones seems to be the material quality of their vulcanite stems.

:face:

Yak":z7ewdm9x said:
If you can find a top-of-the-line Brebbia going cheap (and they do when they're used -- their list price for new ones is absurd), and the dimensions of it suit you, jump on it. A Linea AAA (memory -- possibly defective) I had would give a Castello a run for its money in smoking quality/taste.

The problem with the inexpensive ones seems to be the material quality of their vulcanite stems.

:face:
I bought myself a Castello Great Lines Collection freehand for my birthday last April and paid over $200 for it.
It was the exact shape of my old Bill Sargent Freehand that has been a favorite for many years.
When I got the Castello, it was beautiful, but by the 5th puff it got super hot and was gurgling.
I think the only way to know if a pipe will give a good smoke is to try it.
Interestingly, I've never had a bad smoking Savinelli, or a bad Sasieni particularly the old four dots and the newer 4 dots.
Because it's always a crap-shoot, I love buying used pipes at a price I can get all my money back if I don't love a pipe.
I have a Brebbia Ninja that is excellent.
I have a Vanguard squat bulldog that cost me $3.32 delivered off of eBay that is a favorite smoker.
I've bought many hundreds of pipes, most were pretty good.
Some you just KNOW will be a great smoke by looking at it.
Ferndown's, Becker & Musico, Cassano, old Custom-Bilt's, and my all time favorite right now?
Drumroll please ...

Omar King!

Eric knows how to make a fantastic smoking pipe.
I've bought quite a few from him brand new, and they are very reasonable, running from $40 to $70 each.
They're the best smokers I've ever had.
They seem to darken faster than any pipe I've had before, and they also seem to attract like a cake on the rim quickly, so I keep buffing away the unwanted build-up.
I've suggested Omar Kings to many friends and they all agree they are fantastic smokers.
BanjoBob

I find unlit pipes to be cool but very dry. Read between the lines if you can 8)

SpeedyPete":2aarqy6x said:
I find unlit pipes to be cool but very dry. Read between the lines if you can 8)
Your humor is cool and dry. :lol: :D

For under 300.00 you can buy an estate Rad Davis pipe and it will be an incredibly dry smoking pipe. I have 13 and have never once had to use a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture. In terms of cool smoking they are also great in that department as well. Cool smoking also has a lot to do with the person smoking.

Other dry smoking pipes are Brian Ruthenberg, Scott Thile, Jody Davis, Bruce Weaver, all of these I have never needed a pipe cleaner. I live in Florida so it gets real humid down here and even when I am walking the dogs in the summer, I never get a gurgle.

In terms of under 150.00 Castello is my first choice also on the estate market, those are also incredibly cool and dry smoking. For my money I would much rather spend 150.00-250.00 on any one of the pipes mentioned above over a brand new pipe in the same price range. I have a pet peeve about a pipe that gurgles so when I buy a pipe,dry smoking is at the top of the list.

I had a couple of metal pipes some years ago. They smoked hot and wet and were a general pain. I think they got thrown out somewhere along the line, and I have never missed them or wanted to replace them.

On the other hand, I never met a corncob I didn't like.

I agree with the other guys you can't go wrong with the main 3 they listed. I would swap out the Savinelli for a Boswell though. I am not big on filter pipes.

cigrmaster":92dl85kw said:
For under 300.00 you can buy an estate Rad Davis pipe and it will be an incredibly dry smoking pipe.
Ya don't see a lot of Rads on the estate market.
Nobody wants to part with them. ;)

Kyle Weiss":pacgbdss said:
Pipes aren't nearly as complicated as the users, I've discovered. Unless there's structural failure or totally negligent engineering, almost every pipe can provide someone with a good smoke.

There's learning to smoke pipes, and then there's learning to smoke a single pipe...that's why there's been countless attempts at the "foolproof" universal, perfect pipe for everyone... they don't exist. There's countless perfect pipes out there for each of us though, as we're in varying stages of searching--the experienced dudes smoke the pipes they like, the new dudes often gather like mad. What can I say? It's a fun hobby at any stage, and grows with us.

8)
This..this is one of the best things..ive ever read.. Period..
I started out with 30 dollar Paronelli (that doesn't gurgle) basket pipe, and now own a bit of all types (except high grades, for which I dont really have the funds for, between saving for a house, my band , my job and my kids, my wife, but that's another story.)
It took me several years to really figure out what I like.. I own several freehands, lots of Lovats/Canadians/ a few Pots, ect.. and found I like a straight billiards, Pots, Lovats and Pokers, the most. The fun thing is finding what you like and having the "moment" while hunting for the perfect Pipe/Tobacco combination. I wouldn't trade anything for the pipes in my collection, because I have a story and or memories attached to each one and how I acquired it. If I knew then what I know now.. I would go for pipes with smaller bowls, because I tend to smoke alot of Navy Flake, and English Blends. I rarely ever smoke any of the freehands or the autograph (that gurgles) because I dont have time to sit down for a 3 hour Bowl of Star of the East. That is just me ranting/talking about personal experience.

I like what alot of these other guys have said.
I would say.. Get a nice Savinelli (an Oscar series perhaps?), or Peterson (Arans/Donegals are great pipes for the money), I dont own any Stanwells so I cant comment, but they seem like solid pipes, and I saw a Vario Lovat that looks very appealing to the eye.
If you are feeling brave, you could very well buy a nice Savinelli, a few Cobs, and/or a very nice Estate (smokingpipes.com).
Meer's offer a nice cool smoke and they color after a while too, which is an added bonus.
Search around, and find what you like, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.