pipes & golfing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
I love golfing (anyone one else?). I use to smoke cigars, but switched to pipes. But I have not had very good luck with pipes yet. I've tried two different pipes, a small cheap straight and my bent peterson 302 system. The one is to small and the other bounces around when I'm walking. Plus they don't last long. I could usually get through 6 or 7 holes per cigar, but the pipe lasts maybe 4 to 5 holes. So my brother pipers I'm looking for a pipe that is light weight, can hold decent amount to tobacco & and I think fairly straight (ease of use). And I think I could use a tobacco that will burn for a long time and burn cool. Any suggestions?

MacArthur cob and some Storm Front. Be sure to get some mirrored aviator sunglasses for effect. 8)

Kyle Weiss":s4axowpr said:
MacArthur cob and some Storm Front. Be sure to get some mirrored aviator sunglasses for effect. 8)
To complete "the look" he'll need some of those high waisted Khaki's as well :p The cob's a good choice as he'll be replacing pipes at EACH hole as he sends one along with his ball as he t's off ! :p

These are my go to pipes for golf

The first two are both savinelli lollo's bowl ID .75" depth is 1.25"
the third pipe is a savinelli lolitta bowl ID .75" adn depth of 1.5"
I guess I should of said the LOLLOS are 4" long and the LOLITTA is 4.5" long If you smoke flake and you fold and stuff the LOLLOS will last about 8 holes and the Lolitta will last 9. They are great little pipes no gurgle and stay cool. I have seen them on E bay but some sellers think they have gold and ask $75. to $125.00 but if you are patient you can pic the LOLLO up for $25.00 to $30.00 and the LOLITTA up for about the same. HOPE THIS HELPS. MIKE Almost forgot if you look for any of these make sure they have the stinger that is what the second picture is for, most of them will and they are a great design even though most of my brothers would probably remove them. MIKE

KYLE THESE ARE NOT COBS :roll: :p :evil:

Mattia has a Lollo on his site (here) for 28 bucks, and then another 15% off being a BoB member I believe. If you're interested, I'd check there.

Thank's SPUD 15 for the info, and thanks itskot for the link. These help out a lot. These look like perfect golf pipes.

I personally smoke a pipe when i play golf. I like the Savinelli Sitter pipes and the Boswell Classic Sitter pipes for golf. Both can be found at good prices and sit well in the golf cart compartments. As for tobacco to smoke on the course, I smoke a cube cut burley blend because it smokes slow.

Hey desertpiper I spent a little time in Huachuca driving Mohawks. Is the THING still down there. MIKE

Yep, "THE THING" is still there. My wife and step daughter have seen it, but I never have. And I've lived here for over 10 years now. I also believe it's probably the exact same one you saw.

Lou,
That pipe belongs on a golf tee and hit 200 yards!!! :shock:
As for pipe smoking on the course, it's not for me. I love smoking my stinky cigars out there more than anything else. :D

Lou,

I use to smoke cigars all the time playing golf. But it was a pain. Especially in the desert, the wrapper would dry out and start to fall apart. And when you walk a lot you keep the cigar in your mouth, so after a while the end of the cigar gets all wet and nasty. So you have a wet nasty end with the rest of your cigar drying out. And even with all the gadgets out there it's still a pain to find a place to put it. So, I'm going to give the pipe a good try. And see what happens. Still enjoy cigars though.

LOL! Andy! I'd be lucky if I could hit it 200 yards!!! But I am with you as far as preferring cigars over pipes on the golf course.

I do agree that, as desertpiper says, they tend to get a little on the wet side, but I just find that there's too much to deal with when smoking the pipe on the course. For me it is easier to handle the cigar than the pipe, lighter, tamper, golf clubs, etc...

FORE!!!

This may sound crazy, but you might try an Oom Paul. I know, I know; they seem like something a retired British general would smoke it his drawing room, but bear with me. Their center of gravity hangs right at your chin, with no noticeable leverage on the teeth. They're sturdy and compact, fitting easily in a pocket or drink holder without spilling. They've got deeeep bowls! Plenty of smoking time in there. Best of all, they look cool. :D
If there's one drawback, they can be a bitch to clean.

OK - as a neophyte I have to ask: are most courses OK with smoking? If I just show up the next time I play (which isn't often but I plan to increase) am I liable to tick somebody off?

ArleighBerg":ntfytrfk said:
OK - as a neophyte I have to ask: are most courses OK with smoking? If I just show up the next time I play (which isn't often but I plan to increase) am I liable to tick somebody off?
I thought it was kind of a rule that you had to smoke while golfing? Seriously, you'll be fine. Call the specific course if you have questions, but I can't think of a time when I've been out golfing and not seen plenty of smokers (myself included).

Where I work, we have a few golf outing/fundraiser things each year. When I'm working (selling mulligans on the tee box for a tricky par-3, selling the chance to drive from the ladies tee on a long par-5, that sort of thing), I usually sit in my golf cart and puff away between groups. When I actually get the chance to go out and play, I just can't seem to find a "pipe groove," and opt for a cigar or two.

Kyle Weiss":ia00jdsy said:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

It's one of the few places in the U.S. that's considered perfectly acceptable to smoke. Especially a cigar or pipe.