Pipes in Iceland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennivin

Reaction score
I'm headed back to Iceland next February, and this time I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a locally made pipe. But I'm having a hard time finding anything online. Anyone got any tips?

From the Ministry of Health, Iceland,,,Tobacco Act

Art. 7
All forms of advertising of tobacco and smoking accessories is prohibited in Iceland. This does not apply, however, to publications published abroad by foreign parties in foreign languages, provided that their primary purpose is not the advertising of such products. Notwithstanding, the State Wine, Spirit and Tobacco Authority is authorised to issue a price list for tobacco and to publish a register of harmful substances in tobacco products.

It is also prohibited to show consumption or any form of handling of tobacco or smoking accessories in advertisements or information on goods or services of other kinds and in illustrations on goods.

You may have a hard time digging up any useful information on pipe carvers/distributors in Iceland since advertising "smoking accessories" is apparently forbidden,,,,

mark":x8xh11b8 said:

Art. 7
All forms of advertising of tobacco and smoking accessories is prohibited in Iceland. This does not apply, however, to publications published abroad by foreign parties in foreign languages, provided that their primary purpose is not the advertising of such products. Notwithstanding, the State Wine, Spirit and Tobacco Authority is authorised to issue a price list for tobacco and to publish a register of harmful substances in tobacco products.

It is also prohibited to show consumption or any form of handling of tobacco or smoking accessories in advertisements or information on goods or services of other kinds and in illustrations on goods.

You may have a hard time digging up any useful information on pipe carvers/distributors in Iceland since advertising "smoking accessories" is apparently forbidden,,,,
Interesting Mark, I didn't know that, thanks for sharing!

Well that explains the difficulty a bit. And why I'm needing to look for eyewitnesses :) But I know the place is full of smokers, so there's gotta be someone. Not sure they'll have a presence in Reykjavik, but we'll see. Any leads are helpful. Thanks!

Tobacco advertising is forbidden in the EU too, but pipes are generally exempt because they aren't tobacco. E.g. you can advertise ashtrays, so you should also be able to advertise pipes. However, there is a fine line between advertising and providing information. Tobacco shops are allowed to provide information to customers or have a list of their inventory on their website.

fmw":skhv07yc said:
Tobacco advertising is forbidden in the EU too, but pipes are generally exempt because they aren't tobacco. E.g. you can advertise ashtrays, so you should also be able to advertise pipes. However, there is a fine line between advertising and providing information. Tobacco shops are allowed to provide information to customers or have a list of their inventory on their website.
I guess the same goes for Nederland then bro??

Piet Binsbergen":qcmla2fo said:
Yes, there is zero advertising here. Brands can provide information through leaflets, et cetera, but they can't advertise and aren't allowed to distribute those leaflets outside of tobacco shops. It is really sad. The government dictated smoking bans that cover pretty much anything apart from private homes and the street. This makes going to a bar much less pleasant, so it hurts that industry quite a bit. I'm sure that smoking outside will be their next point of attack, because imagine that a school bus would pass when some guy is smoking a cigarette!

Sorry for the off topic rant.

fmw":0ta50dvx said:
Piet Binsbergen":0ta50dvx said:
Yes, there is zero advertising here. Brands can provide information through leaflets, et cetera, but they can't advertise and aren't allowed to distribute those leaflets outside of tobacco shops. It is really sad. The government dictated smoking bans that cover pretty much anything apart from private homes and the street. This makes going to a bar much less pleasant, so it hurts that industry quite a bit. I'm sure that smoking outside will be their next point of attack, because imagine that a school bus would pass when some guy is smoking a cigarette!

Sorry for the off topic rant.
......... but you can smoke weed in coffee shops over there!!
Weird!

mark":18zfmd1k said:

Art. 7

I pray to God that's not where this country is headed, but it seems that it's already started.

Nitschke066":yrome7z7 said:
mark":yrome7z7 said:

Art. 7

I pray to God that's not where this country is headed, but it seems that it's already started.
Welcome to Africa, a third world country with 1st world laws where most kids are getting strung out on crystal meth. Buy crack pipes by the dozen at flea markets but please folks, tobacco is bad!!!!!!!

Yes, indeed, Piet! It is quite silly. Especially considering you can't smoke in bars where people are voluntarily poisoning themselves with alcohol, which is a hard drug and much worse for your health than secondary smoke. Of course, that hard drug can be quite pleasant on occasion and I enjoy it myself, but compared to tobacco it is relatively bad.

fmw":is1zwdcx said:
Yes, indeed, Piet! It is quite silly. Especially considering you can't smoke in bars where people are voluntarily poisoning themselves with alcohol, which is a hard drug and much worse for your health than secondary smoke. Of course, that hard drug can be quite pleasant on occasion and I enjoy it myself, but compared to tobacco it is relatively bad.
Dang Brother Dutch, what is this world coming to,?????????

So ... political discussion aside ... I guess this means no one knows any Icelandic pipe makers.

Thanks to those on topic.

brennivin":6uegjxrr said:
So ... political discussion aside ... I guess this means no one knows any Icelandic pipe makers.

Thanks to those on topic.
CHeck Pipedia.org under makers then search Iceland, it may be of some help to you!

Good tip! Thanks!

Although the only one that came up was an American expat in Britain using an Icelandic name.

Drat.