Pipes & Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmoore13

Reaction score
Gardesana H.I.S. Half-Bent Billiard
Gardesana H.I.S. Straight Dublin
pipes_11.jpg

Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is start to get some of those aromatics finished so I can start to replace my collection with some non-aromatics, such as Mac Baren Navy Flake. On a side note, how does everyone smoke their flake tobaccos? Have you found the fold and fill method is the best, or do you rub it out and fill it using the three step method, or possibly the air pocket method?

Dmoore13":p3jnk87j said:
Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is start to get some of those aromatics finished so I can start to replace my collection with some non-aromatics, such as Mac Baren Navy Flake. On a side note, how does everyone smoke their flake tobaccos? Have you found the fold and fill method is the best, or do you rub it out and fill it using the three step method, or possibly the air pocket method?
Since you Mentioned MacBaren..... go to their website, there are links to Youtube vids where they demonstrate roll and fold method.
It really depends on the flake you smoke and what pipe you smoke it in. For FVF for example smokes better and the flavor fuller when it is rolled. There is no right or wrong way, rubbing it out is fine too. You need to have fun and experiment a bit.
MacBaren VA no.1 is good flake.
Petersons UNIVERSITY flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
SG full virginia Flake
McClelland 2010
SG Navy flake ....... and the list goes on.
A fair warning though, MacBaren baccy has quite a bite to it when it is young..... smoke it slowly and enjoy. Golden Extra is a burley flake by MacB which is just as good, the same quality of bite applies here as well!

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask!

Enjoy the pipe Bother......
Piet :cheers: :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":qqe22fjw said:
Dmoore13":qqe22fjw said:
Since you Mentioned MacBaren..... go to their website, there are links to Youtube vids where they demonstrate roll and fold method.
It really depends on the flake you smoke and what pipe you smoke it in. For FVF for example smokes better and the flavor fuller when it is rolled. There is no right or wrong way, rubbing it out is fine too. You need to have fun and experiment a bit.
MacBaren VA no.1 is good flake.
Petersons UNIVERSITY flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
SG full virginia Flake
McClelland 2010
SG Navy flake ....... and the list goes on.
A fair warning though, MacBaren baccy has quite a bite to it when it is young..... smoke it slowly and enjoy. Golden Extra is a burley flake by MacB which is just as good, the same quality of bite applies here as well!

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask!

Enjoy the pipe Bother......
So far I've been doing the fold and fill method and I have to say, as of now flake cut is by far my favorite. It burns fantastically and also burns cooler which helps when I smoke it in my billiard that has thinner bowl walls. I wish that The Pipe Rack (my local tobacconist) was able to take their hand blends and press them into flakes instead of the ribbon cut that they use. Also, I'm in the process of trying the roll and fill method as well as rubbing it out. I haven't tried these yet just because I'm enjoying the fold method too much as of now. Thanks for the advice.

Piet Binsbergen":im3g0in7 said:

some of it bites like a Pit Viper. :face: :affraid:

So far I've been doing the fold and fill method and I have to say, as of now flake cut is by far my favorite. It burns fantastically and also burns cooler which helps when I smoke it in my billiard that has thinner bowl walls. I wish that The Pipe Rack (my local tobacconist) was able to take their hand blends and press them into flakes instead of the ribbon cut that they use. Also, I'm in the process of trying the roll and fill method as well as rubbing it out. I haven't tried these yet just because I'm enjoying the fold method too much as of now. Thanks for the advice.

I only recently started roll and stuff. It really kicks ass, you just need to find thin cut flakes that are not to dry to make it work.
Our local blender deserves a smack for selling ribbon Va and not pressing it, so here too We have that same problem!

Enjoy

hobie1dog":gwnxolbm said:
Piet Binsbergen":gwnxolbm said:

some of it bites like a Pit Viper. :face: :affraid:
Hobie, you said it brother....... here it bites like black Mamba!! :lol: