plastic tubs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canofspam123

Reaction score
I just bought some prince albert in those plastic tubs. I'm saving them for maybe over ten years. Should I trust the tubs or put them in mason mars like I do with my bulk stuff. I guess I'm afraid the plastic will leach into the taste. Thanks, Fred

I use 'em all the time for bulk tobacco I actually smoke, as opposed to aging.  I don't age tobacco except in sealed tins.  The seal is not perfect, but it's pretty good for everyday use.  They are so WIDE and handy!  About the leaching I have no idea, and if such exists, maybe it improves the blend.

:lol:

Later edit:  Silly me!  I thought you meant you had been accumulating them for ten years.

I don't think you need to worry about the plastic leaching. Many tobaccos out there come in sealed plastic and are stored for ages. Now, as to storing tobacco for 10 years in those tubs I wouldn't say it's a good idea. While those tubs are reasonably well sealed, they are not air tight. For that kind of storage I would suggest properly sealed mason jars.

If you are storing those tins for 10 years hoping age will improve it, it will not. I like PA, I'm not bashing it, but it won't improve with age. Just my 2 cents.

If it were mine, I'd use the quart Mason Jars.  They've never let me down over the years, as compared to plastic.  While i've never had any real problems with the plastic tubs, occasionally the seal isn't the best and the tobacco will dry out over time.

I agree -- I've found it's fine to store my sealed, unopened plastic tubs of Carter Hall for several years and I haven't experienced a problem --but TEN YEARS? I think that's pushing it.

If you're planning to cellar your PA tubs for 10 years, best to play it safe IMO and put it in Mason/Ball jars and store those filled jars in a cool, dark place.