Please recommend a Burley blend to me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
Would a few of the brothers please recommend a burley blend for me. This is what I have been smoking recently:

GLP Embarcadero
Butera Pelican
McClelland Frog Morton
Esoterica Margate

I also have some open
Peterson Old Dublin
Escudo
C&D Bow Legged Bear
McClelland St. James Woods

It just seems like I haven't come across any burleys yet and I want to see what I'm missing.

I am not particularly fond of flakes, but will rub out if needed.

You've been smoking some fine tobaccos. I recommend Solani Aged Burley Flake as my favourite burley - & yes, it's a flake but worth the trouble rubbing it out. C&D make a number of good burley blends - Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop & Morley's Best being a few I'd go with - all are ribbon or rough cut. That's a start - the other guys will chime in with their favourites, I'm sure.

I love Barbary Coast but a lot of folks find it hard to smoke.

Aged Burley Flake is damn good stuff.

Stogie, I'm with Falconer and Muddler here!

Solani ABF
C&D old Joe Krantz although it has Perique in it.
Do yourself a favor and Pick up some Prince Albert, no mess no fuss burley blend!!!

Yep I'm with Mudd on the C&D Morley's best, was gifted some C&D Burley Flake #4 which I'm also really enjoying!

Thanks guys,

I'll be sure to pick a few samplings up on my next order. :D

Nobody's mentioned Mac Baren London Burley Blend yet! A really great no-nonsense burley. Earthy and dry with a good nicotine kick (though nothing huge). A nose in between hay and dark chocolate - I don't think it's cased, though, just good ol' tobacco. It's been my go-to burley for a while. The girlfriend doesn't even mind the room note on this one, which bumps it up a notch.
Another fan of C&D Morley's Best here!

frumplestiltskin":ok2y4tr9 said:
Nobody's mentioned Mac Baren London Burley Blend yet! A really great no-nonsense burley. Earthy and dry with a good nicotine kick (though nothing huge). A nose in between hay and dark chocolate - I don't think it's cased, though, just good ol' tobacco. It's been my go-to burley for a while. The girlfriend doesn't even mind the room note on this one, which bumps it up a notch.
Another fan of C&D Morley's Best here!
You dudes are one up on me!!!!! especially the RSA bro's.
Never smoked Morley's Best!!!! :shock:

Mac Baren London Burley Blend is a great tobacco, definitely worth a try. Also Uhle's Perfection Plug Burly, amazing stuff, be careful though you might like it so much you'll end up buying a pound of it like I just did.

I've smoked ALL of Uhle's Burleys all great and consistant, All of Peretti's burleys are wonderful and they produce the very finest burley I have ever smoked! Somerset slice[costly] Ken :tongue:

pipetongue1":iectbj8n said:
I've smoked ALL of Uhle's Burleys all great and consistant, All of Peretti's burleys are wonderful and they produce the very finest burley I have ever smoked! Somerset slice[costly] Ken :tongue:
Would like to hear more as I have only tried C&D Burleys and for me they could be better even though they have fair to good reviews. I tried Big n Burley and Old Joe Krantz and both were a bit much. Did have one review on BnB I think that said something like if you want to grow a mustache over night smoke a bowl of it before bed time, LOL!

Anyway are these you like anything like the C&D ones?

Thanks,
Skip

Piet Binsbergen":f1hpju27 said:
I got a sample in the package you and Mudd sent me, and really, really nice stuff! I have ordered some from 4Noggins couple of weeks ago, so will send you some once it gets here

pipetongue1":iwjz93vv said:
Only smoked Blend #300, I must say it was really good!

bluedigital":e7yhhvau said:
Piet Binsbergen":e7yhhvau said:
I got a sample in the package you and Mudd sent me, and really, really nice stuff! I have ordered some from 4Noggins couple of weeks ago, so will send you some once it gets here
BD did not notice, that must have been mudd's share of the stash!
Enjoy bro!!

I highly recommend McClelland x-40 burley flake. It's smooth, nutty, and despite having to rub it out is also a great blending tobacco. Also Wessex burley slices is a pleasure to smoke for a true burley lover. Last but not least. IMHO L J Peretti's BPC (burley plug cut) is my number one favorite. I guess that's enough recommendations to satsfy your buds for quite a while. Happy hunting
doc

I'm very new to this site, but a long-time pipe guy and would like to interject a comment or two. Right off the top, know that I'm a certifiable BURLEY FREAK...and like most guys I sure don't know everything, but I'm very opinionated! lol

So first: There are so many KINDS of burley blends available out there it helps to also try to define some additional perameters in what you're looking for. These are all my own terms, so try to put up with me...

There are soft blends...likley white burley plus something else...kind of natural aromatics...to me the classic examples would be Bluegrass and Nut Brown Burley (the latter is really lovely stuff...from McCranie's).

There are darker blends, maybe with a little added flavor (which most Burley's do have no matter what the label says - cause on their own most or a little flavorless) that form a "family" of what I think of as "Edgeworth-like blends...like Peretti's #300, Gray Havens, MacBaren's London Burley, that kind of thing.

There are burley flakes that are primarily burley like the Solani, Wessex and Peretti's BCP all are well regarded and rightly so.

There are burley flakes in which burley plays a role to a greater or lesser degree (and of course there are non-flake blends in the same vein). The choices here are myriad. Notable among them would have to be Exhausted Rooster...a flake of brilliant conception combining burley and perique. This is where I'd have to place the other C&D blends like Old Joe Kraintz, Haunted Bookshop, etc., etc., etc. There are also the Peterson trio of Irish, University and Perfect Plug - all are very fine and have their place. There are burley blends by Steve Brooks of Rich's in Portland, OR - this guy is incredible. What an astist!

Since I've already taken up far more space than I'm really worth I'll ask you to indulge me for just two further thoughts:

Depending on your experience with cigars and how strong in flavor and or potency you tolerate your pipr blends I have to mention some of the English plugs, ropes and twists. That's where I'm focusing my own indulgences at the moment - and am finding some amazing blends for the first time. Some years ago I tried Gawaith's Black Irish XX and was quite put off...then stayed away from the whole genre for a long time. Big mistake! There are amazing smokes amid the long list of possibles...not having to be flowerly, soapy or tasting like a campfire (though to be fair, most of those flavors will dissipate over time, I just want something I can smoke NOW as opposed to a year down the road).

I recently scored a kilo of Gawith's Dark Plug. It starts out smelling resinous and fire-smokey, but that goes away in just a few days of airing out and becomes a very fine, but very strong, smoke. So try it in a small bowl - I like it in my churchwarden and Falcon...but it works pretty well in any medium to smallish bowl. In addition to the plug, i have to comment on the Twists. The brown is great - I buy it pre-sliced. The Bogey is also very good. But my current discovery is the "flavored sweets" which aren't really very sweet, the addition of the flavoring just kind of take the edge off the pure brown taste (I think they're mostly based on the brown twist). I've tried the Sweet Rum Twist...stellar. I'm going to order the Whiskey, Maple and maybe even the Coconut! Don't laugh. The flavor is notable in the pouch and for the first few puffs...then it's GONE. And you're left with the brown base that is just fantastic...each, I'm assuming, special in it's own right.

So - I've saved the best for last. Try to find it. It's my favorite tobacco of all...dark, sweet, full, it's everthing! In a word...STONEHAVEN!

Thanks Blackhorse,

I have some Exhausted Rooster and Bald Headed Teacher on order.

I will put some stonehaven on my next order list.