please recommend Aro's for those who don't like Aro's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not an aro guy at all normally.

But Sammy G's Firedance is a very occasional complete change of pace bowl for me. A very restrained aro, just slightly fruity and doesn't burn hot as a result of the casing.

And I still have a place for Uhle's 255 occasionally (which I started my pipe journey with), which has a light licorice top dressing. It's so subtle that one couldn't really identify it as licorice (at least for me), and the cube cut burley really stands out. Anyway, it was the blend my late Pap smoked exclusively and if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me.

Cheers,

RR

IRC has a couple of good house blends. Their Three Star Blue is one I use to break up the routine, and the Three Star Banner-:ite gets great reviews on tr.

The Mayor's Chocolate Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake are two aro's I smoke...And I don't care for aro's!!!! :) FTRPLT

As I'm typing here, I'm smoking some Erinmore Flake in an Old England apple. Loverly stuff, early in the morning.

Erik Stokkebye -4th Generation 1957

Very smooth and aromatic smoke. It's a little moist out of the tin.

Puff Daddy":yvmd38n0 said:
It's funny, but when I first got into pipe smoking all I wanted was to figure outnhow to smoke a nice smelling aro that didn't fry my mouth and tasted like it smelled. I gave up, got into high grade tobaccos and kind of forgot about the aro thing until a few months ago, when I finally gave them a good second chance. The above three I listed have been the best experiences for me so far, and I'm pretty pleased that finally, ten years later, I can actually enjoy a couple of great smelling tobaccos that don't fry my mouth and taste pretty much like they smell.
This is exactly where I am at! I have not smoked an aro in about three years but find my self curious. Love all of the suggestions.

I see someone mentioned Sutliff's Molto dolce. It is pretty goopy, it needs a healthy dry out time, then it can be enjoyable. I had to leave it in the tin for weeks before the moisture content got to where I wanted to jar it.

Something I can more readily recommend, not that I have anything against Molto Dolce, as I do like it on occasion. Sutliff Private Stock's French quarter, its kindof a shag cut, and suprisingly dry out of the tin. It has a nice mellow rum flavor, and doesn't bite as long as you know how to smoke a pipe. Great light smoke in my book.

Milkmanv1":g0vxukhu said:
I see someone mentioned Sutliff's Molto dolce. It is pretty goopy, it needs a healthy dry out time, then it can be enjoyable. I had to leave it in the tin for weeks before the moisture content got to where I wanted to jar it.

Something I can more readily recommend, not that I have anything against Molto Dolce, as I do like it on occasion. Sutliff Private Stock's French quarter, its kindof a shag cut, and suprisingly dry out of the tin. It has a nice mellow rum flavor, and doesn't bite as long as you know how to smoke a pipe. Great light smoke in my book.
This is one I tried along time ago and I remember it being real goopy/ oily and had a weird aftertaste.

McClelland Holiday Spirit.

The McC aros aren't goopy/slimy. Unfortunately, they aren't very stout in the nic department, either.

I mix Holiday Spirit or Lazy Day, 50/50, with rubbed-out Night Train.

"Those who may be offended" get a really nice room note, and I get a tasty and satisfying smoke.

You oughta visit the Pipeworks and Wilke site and peruse the tobaks blended by Carol Burns. The thing I like about the Wilke aros is that the underlying taste is of quality tobacco, so they don't have the cloying monotone of some other aros. She offers a nice smoker-friendly sampler, so it's easy to get acquainted. And she continues to offer a blend that was said to be the favored blend of a previous Wilke customer, Basil Rathbone.

Also, +1 on Lane's RLP-6. I've heard more than one piper ask why pay a premium price for an aro when RLP-6 is so hard to beat? But some of the Wilke blends have the reply to that question, I'd say.