Plegm with my English?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
So lately I've been trying this blend I bought from Rain City Cigar in Seattle (btw, a real nice cigar place). Its their "Proper English Blend"...no clue if they blend it themselves, I assume it is some sort of renamed blend (like Lane 1Q). Anyway, whenever I smoke it I swear I taste this plegmey flavor. It tastes like when you are sick and cough up that small oatmeal looking stuff. Sometimes the taste is more noticeable than other times, but it is always in the background. So you have the smokey Lat. taste coming through and then BAM!, you are subtly hit with a plegm taste.
Any ideas what this is?

Mikem":dcls94rx said:
My guess is that it is Peter Stokkebye's Proper English which is a pretty popular English bulk blend. One of my favorites.
Aye Mike, I like that one too. It used to be my all day blend a few years ago...

Peter Stokkebye's Proper English? Is it similar to the Peter Stokkeybe's Full English? Because I have had that and like it a lot (and never taste any phlegm, btw). They claim they blend this stuff in house if I remember right. But, you know how that goes ;) . Now, Kristen's Pipes in Seattle carries Peter Stokkeybe's blends as Peter Stokkeybe....I am pretty sure that Rain City Cigar and Kristen's are owned by the same family (Uncle and Nephew respectably), so I would assume that the Proper English would be named as such at Rain City as well. And I am still trying to figure out the phlegm taste. Hmmmm.....

I've never seen a "Full" English in his blends. Went on-line to find it and was unsuccessful. I have heard people/pipe shops call Proper English a full English blend. IMHO it is a medium bodied English blend "similar" in strength and taste to Dunhill's 965. Notice I said similar, and not the same :) as 965. He does have a Balkan Supreme that is stronger in Latakia and a little "richer" tasting IMHO. I have never tried his English Opulence or English Luxury so really couldn't comment on them. I have gotten a "Phlegm" taste from some of the more stronger English blends but not Proper English. The one that immediately comes to mind for me is the old Bufflehead Snow Goose or London Blend 2000. All of the Stokkebye bulk blends whether English, Virginia or flake that I have tried of his I have enjoyed.

I have been in pipe shops that the guy or girl behind the counter swears up and down that a particular blend is hand mixed by them and when you walk in their humidors you find a five pound bag of bulk from Lane, Peter Stokkebye, McClelland's, etc. Not to say that some of the older pipe shops don't mix up some of their own blends using Lane, Peter Stokkebye, etc. bulks to create their own blends. One place I frequent here in the Phoenix area keeps a cheat sheet behind the counter so when someone came in asking if they had something "similar" to their favorite blend (i.e. Proper English) they would look at their "list" and say "Oh Yea, we just happened to have a blend that we mix called XYZ English". Their "mixing/blending" consists of taking it out of a Lane bulk bag and putting it in their glass jars with their blend name on it. When I first started pipe smoking many years ago I started out smoking a aromatic blend at a local pipe shop that he called "Gold Duck". He had a couple of stores here in Arizona. Smoked it for years. Found out later (after he closed) from someone who use to work there and was working at another shop that it was Lane 1Q.

It's a phoney world. Marketing pipe tobacco is no exception. I have found that I really like about five tobacco blends. I have my AM, midday and PM favorites and I basically stick to them. Now and then I try a new one and tend to rate each of them in comparison to my go to's. Penzance, Balkan Sasieni, C&D Engine99, 1776 Bostonian and Sterling Richmond seem to be my mustard cutters. My go to's always seem to win the competition. The others are for the most part "one tin" stands.

LIPIPE":usw64e0v said:
"one tin" stands.
:lol!:
I too have about five blends that I am loyal to. Any time I stray- it never lasts longer than a tin, except in the rarest of occasions.