Plug knife - job specific or any old knife?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
If a fella were to gain an interest in plug tobacco (jackknife plug, PPP, etc) where might he find a plug knife? I've googled several times but all I get is reviews on jackknife plug. A lot of people seem to use what resembles an old school straight razor that barbers use to shave their customers. I also know some just use a good sturdy pocket knife.

So what do youse guys use?

I have used just about anything. On ebay you can find plug cutters or tobacco cutters can't remember how they are listed.

My old Case trapper does as good a job as any I can imagine. It is always in my pocket.

SouthernPiper":z7l9vk5a said:

I use this antique plug and rope baccy cutter that I found at a flea market.

S7004181.jpg

S7004178.jpg

S7004179.jpg

S7004180.jpg

Though I've not used one for plugs, I've heard good reports on Alaskan Ulu's. As I understand it the ulu is edged on one side which makes it ideal for clean cuts on plug tobaccos....having said that, I expect any knife will do.

dbreazeale":c0noogkt said:
SouthernPiper":c0noogkt said:

I use this antique plug and rope baccy cutter that I found at a flea market.

S7004181.jpg

S7004178.jpg

S7004179.jpg

S7004180.jpg
this is one bad machine :) like it a lot... looks very useful :) perfect for the job :p

Any knife that's sharp! I prefer a big kitchen knife that cuts a slice at one movement.

I plan to use my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 on the Jack Knife Plug. A tactical smoke for sure.

I just use a cheapie pocketknife that used to be my grandpa's. Works fine. I like it because he was a pipe smoker and it was his.

I remember when JKP and Triple Play came out, finding the right buck knife for cutting it was all the rage. There were a lot of pictures recreating the JKP tin art done, too.

MisterE":ppkb1dia said:
I remember when JKP and Triple Play came out, finding the right buck knife for cutting it was all the rage. There were a lot of pictures recreating the JKP tin art done, too.
A Buck knife? If I were to guess, I would say that the knife in the tin label is a Rough Rider, probably the Sunfish in tobacco bone.

For C&D pressed cakes (I wouldn't call them plugs) I'm with Hermit in that scissors work very well. For true plugs, very dense and hard, a large kitchen knife with very little belly works well. But those plug cutters from ebay are really the way to get the best uniform flakes for the fold-and-stuff method.

I bought a cotton sampler from Schatt & Morgan for my plugs. Granted, more for looks than anything, but it is ATS-34 steel and does cut flat to the board. It's more fun for me, having hobby toys, but hardly a necessity.

IMG_1990.jpg

Just be sure to keep it sharp and just about anything will do the job. I prefer a large kitchen type blade for the control it offers, but there's nothing wrong with a simple pocket knife either.

If it's sharp enough to shave a few hairs off your wrist it's sharp enough! :lol: