Plug prep methods

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK all ye FOG plug guys. Here's an opportunity for you to give me (and sundry others) your sage experience on plug prep methods. To date, this preparation is the most elusive of all presentations I've ever run across.

I've tried a couple methods I read on-line, and none of them produced the required results. I've tried slicing, dicing, rubbing, drying out, whirly grinding, light packing methods, etc. No joy.

While I've had reasonable success with a couple plugs (Revor and Warrior) the GLP JKP and especially Triple Play is an ongoing challenge. I'd like to get my head around the mastery of them, so I'd appreciate any insights you might have.

OK so not all plugs are prepared equal, and some require a different approach or so I gather. Right now I'm looking for some advice on the GLP JKP and TP.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Great idea.
I have 2 tins of JKP just waiting for me to know what to do with them

Wow, it seems like you´ve tried pretty much everything. Dont know if I can add much.

JKP isn´t as tightly pressed, dense, or hard as some of the Irish and English plugs. I think the difference is that the English plugs are steamed at some stage whereas the JKP is not.

With the really tightly packed ones I´ll work in from the corners when cutting it, making thin flakes instead of one big crosscut. Then I let it dry a little, pack it , and bingo. It will expand as it heats up so I don´t pack it too tight. Works beautifully with something like Peterson´s 3P´s and the like.

Maybe try breaking it up into little chunks. That works great with SG Cannon Plug.

Some of the others are talking about the same thing here......

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12815-slicing-jacknife-plug

MisterE":dadk547m said:
Wow, it seems like you´ve tried pretty much everything. Dont know if I can add much.

JKP isn´t as tightly pressed, dense, or hard as some of the Irish and English plugs. I think the difference is that the English plugs are steamed at some stage whereas the JKP is not.

With the really tightly packed ones I´ll work in from the corners when cutting it, making thin flakes instead of one big crosscut. Then I let it dry a little, pack it , and bingo. It will expand as it heats up so I don´t pack it too tight. Works beautifully with something like Peterson´s 3P´s and the like.

Maybe try breaking it up into little chunks. That works great with SG Cannon Plug.
Thanks MisterE, I'll try that next.

Anyone else?

I should add that even after drying the flakes I've made and packing lightly, shortly after lighting it seems to plug the draw. Tried running a pipe cleaner down the shank in an effort to poke away any bits that may have clogged it, but the plug wasn't there. Perhaps I need to dry it out even further???

:?:

Cheers,

RR

Update:

Been having more success after trying the methods suggested by several others here on BoB. Best experience was using a serrated bread knife to slice through the plug against the grain in about 1/8" sections, and then rubbing them out and drying for a couple hrs.

Took great care during packing so as not to make it too firm, and also paid attention to how fast I was puffing and tamping. Had a fine bowl of TP last night, and will do the same for JKP tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I might just get this technique down yet!

Cheers,

RR

:cheers:

Does life really have to be that difficult