Poirot Anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perdurabo

Reaction score
I love the David Suchet Series and started reading Lady Agatha's Poirot Mysteries.

Started with "Death on the Nile" and am currently reading "Sad Cypress". I usually start at the beginning of a series, but said screw it. I'm reading them out of order and picking them up at the the library( another odd ball thing for me). Great books, when you don't care about thinking to much and want to go along for a great ride.

I love to read mysteries from the '30s and '40s and loathe most of the modern stuff. Christie was probably the best, though my personal preference is John Dickson Carr. If you're a serious fan of mysteries in general, I suggest getting a copy of A Catalogue of Crime, by Barzun and Taylor, to use as a guide.

I beg to differ with you, though, on not thinking too hard while reading them. The best "play fair," so reading the progression of the story becomes a game of wits between you and the author. Then again, I think I know what you mean. The hours spent reading them is an "escape" that is quite relaxing, or something, and I have consumed a ton of pipe tobacco while so engaged.

I'll check out Carr. I really don't read mysteries, but I discovered John D MacDonald's Travis McGee which was an awesome find. Then moved over to Christie.

Yea, Shouldn't say Christie doesn't require you to think, she does. Like you said Richard, more of an Escape. ABC Murders was the only one I've read that has completely stumped me.

I think it's the time period for which the books are set that really draws me in. Thanks for your suggestions, sounds like fun.