Polishing stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brighamguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
What do you guys use for polishing a stem? I have a rusticated Brigham that I just finished restoring and I want to polish it up. I have halcyon 2 wax for the bowl but I'm not sure what to use on the stem.
Thanks
Paul

If it is just in need of a shine, I coat the stem in mineral oil (obsidian oil is an option that may or may not be overpriced mineral oil) let it soak in for 10 minutes or so and buff it out with a cloth.  If it has some minor oxidation, then a Mr Clean magic eraser usually does the trick, followed by the oil treatment.  If it is in really bad shape, I wet sand starting at 600 grit and work my way up through micromesh sanding pads like these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJC156U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003ELH7AI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BZ1QC7BM1RXGQC5Y9MR
then use the oil.  
Mike.

Paul - If I have a really oxidized stem, I'll soak it in warm water and Oxyclean overnight. It brings the oxidation to the surface, making it easy to remove with Magic Eraser and/or 0000 steel wool. Watch your edges and logos when sanding, cuz you don't want to round them over or obliterate stampings.

After scrubbing off the oxidation, I usually wet-sand estate stems with 600 - 2000 grit sandpaper, then buff on the wheel with White Diamond compound before applying several coats of Carnauba wax (using a different buffing wheel).

ontariopiper":e3rddcbh said:
Paul - If I have a really oxidized stem, I'll soak it in warm water and Oxyclean overnight. It brings the oxidation to the surface, making it easy to remove with Magic Eraser and/or 0000 steel wool. Watch your edges and logos when sanding, cuz you don't want to round them over or obliterate stampings.

After scrubbing off the oxidation, I usually wet-sand estate stems with 600 - 2000 grit sandpaper, then buff on the wheel with White Diamond compound before applying several coats of Carnauba wax (using a different buffing wheel).
Where can I get Carnauba wax? I don't have a buffing wheel so any suggestions? Just wax it up, let harden and then buff it out with a nice new microfiber cloth?

Also regarding the oxyclean soak, does this help to get the crud out of the inside of the stem. I seem to be using many pipe cleaners and alcohol and it continues to look dirty.

brighamguy":d8mimkv4 said:
ontariopiper":d8mimkv4 said:

Where can I get Carnauba wax? I don't have a buffing wheel so any suggestions? Just wax it up, let harden and then buff it out with a nice new microfiber cloth?

Also regarding the oxyclean soak, does this help to get the crud out of the inside of the stem. I seem to be using many pipe cleaners and alcohol and it continues to look dirty.
You can source carnauba thtough Lee Valley. I order it online for pickup at the Wsterloo store. It needs a buffing wheel to apply properly though. An inexpensive mandrel will let you mount a wheel on a drill. That's how I started.

The Oxyclean soak may help soften tars and gunk in the stem which would make them easier to remove. Estate pipes can be really dirty though. Eventually that pipe vleaner will come out clean ;-)

ontariopiper":acd1vpij said:
brighamguy":acd1vpij said:
ontariopiper":acd1vpij said:

You can source carnauba thtough Lee Valley. I order it online for pickup at the Wsterloo store.  It needs a buffing wheel to apply properly though.  An inexpensive mandrel will let you mount a wheel on a drill. That's how I started.

The Oxyclean soak may help soften tars and gunk in the stem which would make them easier to remove. Estate pipes can be really dirty though. Eventually that pipe vleaner will come out clean  ;-)
Ok thanks for the info. What about obsidian oil to shine it up? Have you used that method?
Paul

brighamguy":wbhq84px said:
ontariopiper":wbhq84px said:
I use plain jane mineral oil. Cheap, readily available and it works.
Where can I buy that? My local drug store?
Yup. I buy mineral oil & isopropyl alcohol st the drug store.