Poll - Lighter or Matches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whitepony1986":jbt3ehse said:
i use a zippo pipe lighter i never taste the zippo fuel as some people say
I think they changed something about the fuel; it was a very strong taste back in the 70s and 80s, and I rarely get a hint of it now.

I use cheap disposable lighters. I found a deal on a 7-pack of Scriptos for $1.97 at the grocery store today. Usually I buy packs of Bic lighters though. I keep a small one in my pocket and a large one in the car, by the computer, by my chair, etc. I keep those boxes of matches that come with an order from P&C by the computer just in case and when the accumulate, I will use them until the number gets more manageable.

I LOVE my IM Corona smooth briar Old Boy.

I like lists, so here are my standout reasons (not exhaustive) after using mine for about 4 months:
  • I like it for getting more even burn control of the first light and relights. Less center-only "burn-downs".
  • I don't want to be burning up the rim every time I want to start a bowl. Ultimately it amounts to less rim cleaning.
  • A match burns too quickly to get started even with the driest 'bac sometimes. Stubborn flakes can still be lit with this lighter even if it takes a while to get started.
  • The flame dial can get down into the depths (>3" :!:) of even the largest pipes I have, where a match couldn't get or the angle would be too severe. A bic can't do this either.
  • I like that I can use it without burning my finger :p

If the bowl is shallow enough, I use a few matches. Obviously this means I don't use my lighter exclusively as I occasionally mix it up with matches, but I don't own any other lighters because I'm pleased with the Old Boy. Can't comment on any other others.

Also, an aside, I can't vote on the poll for some reason. Was it closed?