Popeye!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smg913":h23u7w8t said:
saw this and found it ridiculous. didn't really read the whole thing mainly because I was pretty disgusted about the lack of pipe and tats.

although the news source is Yahoo- this seems to be a creditable story.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-popeye-get-ready-for-his-first-big-screen-turn-in-97897854257.html
Popeye without a pipe? Ridiculous, that's like taking the mask off the Lone Ranger, Unamerican to say the least.Screw these nimrods with there cockamamie ideas. I'm sure this will flop just like when they tried to remake the "Lone Ranger" and told Clayton Morre he couldn't wear the mask anymore.

I'm a BIG Popeye fan, even have an original by one of the comic book artists. So this is very aggravating to me. Ok, not on the scale of importance as ebola or isis, but still... I am so sick of this politically correct world. I hope the movie will be a financial flop!

Oh it will be, it will be.

Just because something worked/works in a certain time period/format doesn't mean it'll work as a movie in 2014. I wish I could find a career like the guy who greenlit this project, where the only requirement seems to be the ability to be high on cocaine and loosing a ton of money. It's probably the same guy that financed the Garbage Pail Kids movie, or the Battle Ship one...

That really stinks! I love Popeye and have for as long as I can remember. I get that the current pc climate makes it silly to try and market a smoking kids cartoon, but don't go and ruin an icon. Hollyweird jerks!
What's next? Sherlock with a nicotine patch....oh.
Mike.

MichaelM":0kx477sz said:
That really stinks!  I love Popeye and have for as long as I can remember.  I get that the current pc climate makes it silly to try and market a smoking kids cartoon, but don't go and ruin an icon.  Hollyweird jerks!
What's next? Sherlock with a nicotine patch....oh.
Mike.
YEP! The new, younger Sherlock in the new series DOES NOT SMOKE ANYTHING !! Aaaaah, the 21st century !! :twisted: :twisted:

Jeez Loweeze.........

:roll:

I grew up watching the old Max Fleischer's B&W Popeye 'toons (they're colorized now, more's the pity). Nothing pc about them at all either.

Have a lot of them on DVD (copied from tape). Always good to see them when I'm of the mood!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR