Praying Manti

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the count they're offering ,,,40 to 400 eggs.

Kyle Weiss":wee0kywa said:
...another...

Orchid Mantis. I especially like the leg being eaten like spaghetti. O sole mio!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eIBeV6XCaKQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Now that was cool! Is the soundtrack your doing, Kyle? ;)

UberHuberMan":jo1ejmzr said:
Is the soundtrack your doing, Kyle? ;)
I would have respected the manti more and made a complete song if I had been involved... :)

mark":xmk6m9fo said:
I like the count they're offering ,,,40 to 400 eggs.
Same idea as seed packets not guaranteeing how many tomatoes you'll get out of 'em, I suspect... :lol:

Update: from the ones I hatched several egg sacks was layed around our house. This year i seen at least two different ones each time I went outside. Today I get home and witness two "having at it" so more for next year MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

These guys are all over my yard. The biggest I have come across (pictured) was in 2011. I came across three this year, which means there are a lot more out there. They love the roses.

That one is a female, soon she will find a mate and then lay an eggsack. I was amazed that the two I caught doing the nasty went at it for hours. Not only that the male did not get eaten!

Cuervo25_1":rruj1w0w said:
That one is a female, soon she will find a mate and then lay an eggsack. I was amazed that the two I caught doing the nasty went at it for hours. Not only that the male did not get eaten!
Cuervo, how do you tell male from female?

DrumsAndBeer":3zn06t75 said:
Cuervo25_1":3zn06t75 said:
Cuervo, how do you tell male from female?
The size of the abdomen,females have about double the size or more abdomens than males of roughly the same length. Next time I find a couple I will post pics of the differance.

Praying Mantis Kung Fu.  Kiiiaaiii!

WxdMsGd.jpg
" />

Doing the nasty

female side view, note how much the abdomen sticks out below the wings

female bottom view, It is hard to see but there are 6 wide segments, males have 8 narrow segments

two of the egg sacks, seen 4 others as well.

when first layed the sacks also known as oothecas look like spit, but soon hardens to about the consistancy of foam like great stuff sealant. They vary in size and amount of eggs inside.

Golden orb weavers are everywhere down here and those wolf spiders are bloody rampant.

loco pony":rbnb56k2 said:
Golden orb weavers are everywhere down here and those wolf spiders are bloody rampant.
Orb weavers are cool. We have Black Widows and Daring Jumping Spiders with the cool metallic green mandibles.

Cuervo, that's great that they're breeding in your yard. You my friend need a good macro lense. :D 

Hermit said:
My favorite spider in my gardens.  Orchid Spider.
orchid12.jpg
[/quote

Oh my goodness what a beautiful spider. The color of the legs is so pretty, looks like they are made of glass.