Pre Comoy's Merger GBD New Standard Pot

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I "won" this bid on eBay, seller Great-Estate-Pipes, for $21.00. I'm not a pc expert and therefor I cannot supply a link for the brothers to see what the pipe looks like. Maybe someone will be so kind to do it on my behalve? :oops:

I've looked at a few New Era GBD's recently, how did your new one smoke?

riff raff":obgegt61 said:
I've looked at a few New Era GBD's recently, how did your new one smoke?
I'm a bit disappointed with this pipe. It smokes very well to about halfway through the bowl. From there on, the smoke turns bitter, no matter what tobacco I've got in it. I've tried every trick in the book but, to no avail.

I'm now ghosting it with Condor and hope to scare the living daylights out of it!!

I've got 4 more GBD's and they are excellent pipes. Really can't figure out what wrong with #5

i picked up a restored new era at a pipe shop a while back, i had to do a lot of reaming, but it smokes great.

Perhaps Condor will work, but if you are trying to conquer the pipe's funky taste with Condor's casing and tobacco flavors, I'm guessing it won't, as the funk will still be there, underneath. I could definitely be wrong. But if you haven't given the pipe a good reaming, I'd start there as cake retains flavors from the tobaccos smoked in that pipe. That's why folks dedicate pipes.

Once you get most of the cake out of it, I'd use the cotton ball technique to further cleanse it. Put a snug layer of cotton halfway up the bowl; saturate with grain alcohol, not booze, but the strongest alcohol you can find. Repeat. Use the bottom of an egg carton to keep the pipe upright. Let sit 24 hours. I've had good results with this method, and it is superior to the salt method as you don't run the risk of cracking the bowl, not that I've ever heard of this happening.

If that doesn't work GLP used to have an article on his site describing the carbon/heat technique.

Good luck!

alfredo_buscatti":xxcnunin said:
Perhaps Condor will work, but if you are trying to conquer the pipe's funky taste with Condor's casing and tobacco flavors, I'm guessing it won't, as the funk will still be there, underneath. I could definitely be wrong. But if you haven't given the pipe a good reaming, I'd start there as cake retains flavors from the tobaccos smoked in that pipe. That's why folks dedicate pipes.

Once you get most of the cake out of it, I'd use the cotton ball technique to further cleanse it. Put a snug layer of cotton halfway up the bowl; saturate with grain alcohol, not booze, but the strongest alcohol you can find. Repeat. Use the bottom of an egg carton to keep the pipe upright. Let sit 24 hours. I've had good results with this method, and it is superior to the salt method as you don't run the risk of cracking the bowl, not that I've ever heard of happening.

If that doesn't work GLP used to have an article on his site describing the carbon/heat technique.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for this advice. It's really a good looking pipe and I love GBD's, so I would go to any lenght to improve it's smoking quality.

I will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Pieter

I guess that is partly the GBD mystique, hopefully you can bring this one around.

A great find for the price, EverClear to the rescue (could be sour in shank and stem too) Good Luck.

Nice pipe and good info here guys. I just picked up a pipe and had the same thing happen. Guess Ill be picking up some everclear tonight.

I neglected to mention and am thankful others did that despite the importance of getting crap out of the bowl it is also important to thoroughly clean the shank and stem. I've found that sometimes on or the other can be the major problem.

Another thing. Buy 2 or 3 packs of bristle pipe cleaners. Dipped in everclear, I've found them indispensable when cleaning the shank and the bowl. You may go though many of them before they emerge ungunked.

alfredo_buscatti":a7djjp7z said:
I neglected to mention and am thankful others did that despite the importance of getting crap out of the bowl it is also important to thoroughly clean the shank and stem. I've found that sometimes on or the other can be the major problem.

Another thing. Buy 2 or 3 packs of bristle pipe cleaners. Dipped in everclear, I've found them indispensable when cleaning the shank and the bowl. You may go though many of them before they emerge ungunked.
Great point. I soaked my estate Jake Hackert in salt/everclear, but didn't do a thorough enough job inside the shank. The pipe had an odd taste and with further cleaning, I removed more old tobacco build-up. Once removed, it smoked like new.

riff raff":m7c78t34 said:
alfredo_buscatti":m7c78t34 said:

Great point. I soaked my estate Jake Hackert in salt/everclear, but didn't do a thorough enough job inside the shank. The pipe had an odd taste and with further cleaning, I removed more old tobacco build-up. Once removed, it smoked like new.
I tried the cotton wool and spirits but, again, to na avail.

I then went ahead and tried something I found on another forum; bicarbonate of soda and vinegar!

I pour some bicarb in the shank and filled the bowl about halfway with same. I then poured apple cider vinegar, little by little, into the bowl. After every "boil up", I added some more vinegar and stirred the mixture. I emptied the pipe and repeated the procedure and left the stuff inside for about 15 minutes.

I then rinsed the pipe thouroughly under a coldwater tap (faucet). When I was sure all the stuff was gone, I dried the pipe, using paper kitchen towel. I then heated the pipe on the OUTSIDE by using a hairdryer to get rid of all the moisture.

I also clean the stem, using bristle pipecleaner and spirits and then dry pipecleaner. Also cleaned the shank with pipe cleaner.

I let the pipe sit for about an hour and then charged it with Pete's Irish Oak. And....Bingo!! I had a totally different pipe. Clean smoking, NO bitter taste, just pure tobacco goodness. I've now finished 3 bowls already and it's just getting better.
I'm a happy man!!

Just be careful if you should try this. According to the guy who reported this cleaning method, the mixture can damage a pipe's finish. My pipe came out with no damage but I kept on wiping away the excess fluid which "boiled" over the sides of the bowl. I wiped the bowl with denicare briar polish afterwards and the pipe is like new.

I repeat, I'm a happy man because this pipe now smokes like a true GBD should.

SpeedyPete":4corjnam said:
Just be careful if you should try this. According to the guy who reported this cleaning method, the mixture can damage a pipe's finish. My pipe came out with no damage but I kept on wiping away the excess fluid which "boiled" over the sides of the bowl. I wiped the bowl with denicare briar polish afterwards and the pipe is like new.

I repeat, I'm a happy man because this pipe now smokes like a true GBD should.
Great news on the clean up. I'll keep that combo in mind for stubborn pipe cleaning.

When filling a pipe with everclear/salt, I put a piece of masking tape around the inside of the bowl, which is trickier than it sounds. This creates a chimney of sorts that keeps fluid from dripping/spilling on the bowl top/finish.

Here's the Pipedia page on GBD, and the GL Pease collection. He has a couple of square shank GBD's like yours, looks like a keeper!

Suggestion : forget that stuff. Stop it while you still have a pipe.

The problem is not in the cake inside the bowl. It's in the airway between the bowl and the shank.

Send the stummel (minus stem) to Dave Walker (Walker Briarworks) for a de-tox. He's got a long waiting list before he'll get to yours, but it's a quick and inexpensive fix once he does, and it's done right.

(I'd also recommend my friend LL but he's even more backed up than Dave is).

:face: