Pre-Republic Peterson 411 Bullcap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Every once in a while, a pipe shows up out of the blue and not on my watch list.  Yesterday, while looking at watched ebay ads, I found this Kapruff.  I knew it was pre-Republic by the Made in Ireland stamp but I didn't recognize the shape.  Fortunately, Peterson author and guru, Mark Irwin, is very responsive to emails.  

He told me that the 411 Shape with inner tube was introduced in the 1947 catalog and that stamping ended in 1949, so that gives me a pretty narrow date range.   He sent me two pictures of the shape, 411 which is referred to as the Bullcap.  

The pipe was sold by a UK dealer and enroute to me here in the US.  Stay tuned for a restoration update via the Reborn Pipes blog.  The looks to be in excellent condition.

Ocelot55":mn3jd16k said:
Very classy! Thanks for the Pete history lesson, too!
Well, thanks to Mark Irwin, aka "Mr. Peterson" (he is co-authoring the upcoming Peterson book). I made slight edit to my post, I hadn't quite listed the history of the shape correctly.

Looks like it'll be real beauty there Al. Can't wait to see how she turns out.

Jim

Another great find Al. I'm looking forward to seeing the restored version. :)

AJ

I just finished restoring this one, which didn't take much. Full details here:
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/08/20/pre-republic-peterson-411-bullcap-clean-up/

A special thanks to Mark Irwin for the shape information and PipesMagazine forum member DaveG for the logo tips. I can't find another like it anywhere on the web. This little beauty weighs only 24 grams, it will be dedicated to VA flakes.

peterson_411_kr_finish.jpg

peterson_411_kr_finish2.jpg

peterson_411_kr_finish31.jpg

peterson_411-kr_finish4.jpg

peterson_411_kr_finish5.jpg

peterson_411_kr_finish6.jpg

peterson_411_kr_finish9-71.jpg

Classy pipe! Thanks for the history bit as well, very interesting.