Preben Holm Traditional MATT--Hand Made in Denmark

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstogie

Reaction score
I am trying to determine the meaning/significance of the "mark" on the bottom of the shank of the pipe I just bought. It also has the "PH" mark on the top of the stem. < "Preben Holm Traditional MATT Hand Made in Denmark"> When did he start signing his name to pipes? What does MATT mean?

Here's a picture of the pipe. The finish is not matte but somewhat glossy. So I don't know...

oldstogie":1v92b4n9 said:

Here's a picture of the pipe. The finish is not matte but somewhat glossy. So I don't know...
Interesting.
Maybe someone polished it up, or waxed it...? :scratch:
Or maybe it was mis-stamped.
Good looking pipe, though.

The Crown, Fancy, Private, Regal and Handcut series of pipes all bear the stamping "Preben Holm" on the bottom of the shank.

I have never seen a Traditional Matt series pipe but would assume it would be likewise stamped

His Ben Wade line had a Matt and a Golden Matt series with a surface that looked more like a moderate sheen than a matt finish

Mike B.

Thanks, guys. I got a similar answer from Poul Winslow at Bisgaard Pipes, Copenhagen.

"Now I have the answer from Poul.--Traditional is fairly traditional, Matt is light oil, It has been made middle seventies."