Premium coffee prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falconer

Reaction score
I'm a premium coffee junky. For years my favorite has been Kenya Peaberry. I usually buy 2 pounds at a time from our local spice merchant. Last month it was up to $11 a pound after being at $9 for years. I went to make my next purchase yesterday and it was $14.50 Lb! :pale:
What's going on in Africa that's driven the price so high? Folgers is like drinking saturated cardboard to me. My sister lives in Washington and sends me "Seattle's Best" but I still need my fix of Cherry beans from Kenya.
What's up with this? Is it our high taxing government getting involved in this just like they have with tobacco industry?

I love my coffee too. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard a consortium is buying up a lot of the coffee from small scale plantations. Like I said not sure if that's true, so take it with a grain of salt. For what it's worth I buy my coffee in green bean form and roast it at home. I was addicted to Intelligentsia Black Cat, but the price was pretty crazy. Some of the beans I get are just as good as Black Cat, but about half the price. Plus you can roast to your own palette. After going the green bean route for the last two years I'd never go back.

^I've been thinking of getting into that. Just haven't put together the muster to make a "DIY" type setup, or the money to get a roaster. So I've been surviving on the passable local roaster around here, trying to forget how good Uncle Beanz's roasting is (unclebeanz.com).

As you know bro,
I live on the stuff, and like my baccy the imported stuff too!
Dutch and Kenya!
you dudes don't wana know what this habit costs to sustain, I think a heroin junkie comes off cheaper!!!

Lots of things changing for tobacco or coffee from that area. When I was into buying coffee or roasting my own and grinding.. I got them at Sweet Maria's

Best prices and so many things to see and check out. Good Luck

"Chock Full O' Nuts Original" is the coffee. Been roasted in NY since 1932 and at approximately $2.89 for 13 oz. you can't beat it. It is the best domestic off the shelf coffee you can buy. In NY it is referred to as "The Heavenly Coffee". :D I'm drinking a cup right now.

Justpipes":76xck4aq said:
"Chock Full O' Nuts Original" is the coffee. Been roasted in NY since 1932 and at approximately $2.89 for 13 oz. you can't beat it. It is the best domestic off the shelf coffee you can buy. In NY it is referred to as "The Heavenly Coffee". :D I'm drinking a cup right now.
"Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy."

Chock Full was one of the first chain coffee shops... my mother fondly reminisces over getting a cup and a cream-cheese sandwich on date-nut bread after school.

I find the Kirkland whole bean coffee does well for an everyday coffee. So far the prices have been stable. Occasionally I will pick up or order something more exotic for a special treat or the holidays. Wife doesn't like good coffee, she grew up on Nescafe and is all she will drink. I have wanted to try home-roasting but have yet to make the plunge.

I love chock full o nuts, I'll agree it is the best "OTC" coffee out there. Also absolutely loaded with caffeine! Better than Starbucks, too, in my opinion.

But a skillfully done, freshly roasted coffee is something else! You really get a whole different experience out of it - more flavors and richness, and subtleties to the beans.

Justpipes":pon6wkp8 said:
Now that sounds great JP!!!!
The best we get here is the Dutch stuff, Douwe Egberts!!!!
The best of the rest in my book!!

Been roasting my own beans for the last 5 years. Usually order from Sweet Maria's but sometimes others, especially from Hawaii. Probably average about $6 a pound including postage. I highly recommend roasting your own!! FTRPLT

I drink a lot of Tanzania Peaberry that we carry at work. We get it as whole beans and we grind it ourselves. I guess I'm lucky to get it at cost for $6 per pound and drink as much as I want while I'm working. I was always a Folger's guy until I started this job

Did someone actually mention that gawd awful over roasted taste like shit scraped off the bottom of a shoe and burnt crap called Starbucks when speaking of premium coffee????

velveteagle":v3bekgyi said:
Lots of things changing for tobacco or coffee from that area. When I was into buying coffee or roasting my own and grinding.. I got them at Sweet Maria's

Best prices and so many things to see and check out. Good Luck
I second Sweet Marias. Good prices and service, and coffee is easy to roast.

Falconer":h2xmtocd said:
I'm a premium coffee junky. For years my favorite has been Kenya Peaberry. I usually buy 2 pounds at a time from our local spice merchant. Last month it was up to $11 a pound after being at $9 for years. I went to make my next purchase yesterday and it was $14.50 Lb! :pale:
What's going on in Africa that's driven the price so high? Folgers is like drinking saturated cardboard to me. My sister lives in Washington and sends me "Seattle's Best" but I still need my fix of Cherry beans from Kenya.
What's up with this? Is it our high taxing government getting involved in this just like they have with tobacco industry?
Have your sister send you some Batdorf and Bronson coffee.

http://www.dancinggoats.com/

Best coffee in the PNW if you ask me.

puros_bran":a0a5wb6d said:
Did someone actually mention that gawd awful over roasted taste like shit scraped off the bottom of a shoe and burnt crap called Starbucks when speaking of premium coffee????
:lol!: :lol!:
This is real funny PB, we have just gotten the real deal here in RSA, Before that Starbucks was called Manhattan Coffee co. here. I agree, was disappointed when I had my first cup!
Perfect description Bro!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Hunter5117":9zg2kosl said:
I find the Kirkland whole bean coffee does well for an everyday coffee. So far the prices have been stable. Occasionally I will pick up or order something more exotic for a special treat or the holidays. Wife doesn't like good coffee, she grew up on Nescafe and is all she will drink. I have wanted to try home-roasting but have yet to make the plunge.
Kirkland 100% Columbian Dark Roast

I like the Trader Joe's "Good Morning" blend--the price is right and it tastes like coffee should.