Preparing Luxury Bullseye for the best smoke folded smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
This may be a really simple question but here we go.

Shane sent me a sample of this fine tobacco and so far I have rubbed it out in preparation for smoking. It smoked well and tasted pretty good but it did get a bit too hot. I do prefer a folded flake for a long cool flavorful smoke. Like other flakes I have read that this one is best enjoyed folded into a smallish pipe. Since the cavendish is in the core of the rolled disc, I was looking for tips on how best prepare the flake folded for best flavor integration. I thought about cutting the disc in strips or folding it in on itself with the cavendish at the heel or at the top.

How do you guys prepare this one?

Thanks...D&B

I smoke this one quite a bit. I was surprised to recently discover that it is smokingpipes.com's number one bulk sales tobacco. That restored my faith in the general pipe smoking community's tastes. Either LBF or Escudo has been my morning smoke for years now.

I've smoked it in just about every way possible. The most practical way for me is to just ball a coin up and drop it in the bowl. Once its in there it'll expand to fill the bowl on it's own. I try to break up the little cavendish center so it burns easily too. A size 3 bowl will take maybe two or two-and-a-half coins to fill. I'm not overly particular about drying it out either. Moist or dry it smokes pretty well. Very user friendly.

Enjoy! I sure do.

I usually just rub it out (that's what she said?!)

But, I do have a preference for the little black cav center:

Let's say you're using a pipe with a small-medium chamber. Select two coins (or three) and just punch out the centers. Then, take the rest of one of the coins and "ball up" in the palms like E said. Place at bottom of bowl. Set either one, or both of the center pieces intact across the top of the tobacco. Then, take the remaining coin(s) and ball up and place on top of that layer. Repeat as needed. Usually two coins does it for me. I also try to pack fairly loose. I like this method because about half way through the bowl, you get the smooth cav peeking through and it changes the flavor for the duration of the smoke

Give it a shot!

One of these days I'll take a few pictures of the steps just to simplfy my answer :)

Mister E., Shane thanks. I look forward to tomorrow's smoke(s). I'll put these suggestions to test.

And Shane, thanks again for the sample.

This is a great tobacco. Your post reminds me that I have not had any for a while...

When I smoke it, I gently roll it apart and carefully pinch it into the bowl.

kieveryuu":ek6512qf said:
This is a great tobacco. Your post reminds me that I have not had any for a while...

When I smoke it, I gently roll it apart and carefully pinch it into the bowl.
Thanks for the reply, kieveryuu

I usually use this method but have tried some others. One is that I remove the discs and cube the rest of the flake, putting the discs in the middle of the bowl. I've never been sure when I've hit the Cav but that's probably my fault and not the 'baccy's. It's no hardship to keep on trying :) .

There is a video on youtube showing how to do this and it was because of this video that I became intrigued and ordered the first 2 ounces. I liked it well enough regardless of not perceiving the cav discs that I ordered more to be sure I didn't run short.
s.ireland":9xgvpej2 said:
But, I do have a preference for the little black cav center:

Let's say you're using a pipe with a small-medium chamber. Select two coins (or three) and just punch out the centers. Then, take the rest of one of the coins and "ball up" in the palms like E said. Place at bottom of bowl. Set either one, or both of the center pieces intact across the top of the tobacco. Then, take the remaining coin(s) and ball up and place on top of that layer. Repeat as needed. Usually two coins does it for me. I also try to pack fairly loose. I like this method because about half way through the bowl, you get the smooth cav peeking through and it changes the flavor for the duration of the smoke

One of these days I'll take a few pictures of the steps just to simplfy my answer :)

Hey thanks for the posts guys. I have been experimenting with this one a bit more and it's a tasty enough tobacco just rubbed out. I guess the first time I tried it I felt perhaps that I was missing the secret handshake or something.

Shane and Mister E's suggestions worked well, but i have to admit I don't notice the Cav too much more if it's left intact rather than integrated. Perhaps in time I'll become more in tune with its nuances.

My first try of this I just grabbed a couple discs, folded and stuffed. I should try the rub method here soon.

One thing I have been meaning to try, and which returns to mind for your comments about not tasting the cave, is to add a little bit of my favorite black cavendish to bolster that side of the flavor. Have any of you tried such a thing? If so, what was the result?

kieveryuu":rp56g739 said:
One thing I have been meaning to try, and which returns to mind for your comments about not tasting the cave, is to add a little bit of my favorite black cavendish to bolster that side of the flavor. Have any of you tried such a thing? If so, what was the result?
Haven't tried that. Typically with the venerable blends I just leave well enough alone and try to enjoy them for what they were meant to be.

Also I can't really say that I am a huge cavendish fan. I say this not because I don't like it, I really just don't know what it tastes like or what it's supposed to taste like. I guess I am saying that I haven't really just smoked cavendish by itself, and there are so many different variations on cav that I haven't met the right one that's established any type of high water mark.

I guess I have always thought that cavendish was like the little white specks in a slice of salami. There to add some texture, body, round the mouth feel out a bit but not necessarily the driving point flavor wise.

Obviously I need a cavendish education I am sure. :p

I haven't really put my finger on it yet either but lately it seems that every tobac I really like has some in it... I know what MacBaren's cav taste like because it's a signature taste. It's a major component in all of the "Mixture" blends and a minor one in Plumcake and Solent. I really like an English Oriental from Altadis that has some in it that really comes through in a clay pipe and it is round and sweet.

Guess I need to try this one too.

Scott

Stokkebye's Black Cavendish is really good. And is what I have considered adding a little of to the Luxury Bullseye. Though it is great as is, am thinking it is worth giving a try with such a slight modification.

.... may give it a try tonight actually. If I do, will let you know how it goes.

kieveryuu":yls42n7s said:
Stokkebye's Black Cavendish is really good. And is what I have considered adding a little of to the Luxury Bullseye. Though it is great as is, am thinking it is worth giving a try with such a slight modification.

.... may give it a try tonight actually. If I do, will let you know how it goes.
I'll put that one the list. Thanks..