Price Gouging Esoterica Tobaccos...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can name one retailer that isn't gouging or shafting his customers. That's Mike at Mars Cigars. I just bought an 8 oz bag of Stonehaven, Penzance, and Margate for $22.95 per bag. I ordered just as soon as I got his news letter that stated it was in stock. Some retailers still care about their customers and treat them honestly and fairly. He's got the best prices for McClelland Tobacco on the Web and he's lowering prices on several more brands. His flat shipping rate of $6.95 seems very fair too. You can believe that Mike is getting almost all of my tobacco business.  :)

AJ
Copied and pasted invoice from Mike.

Hello AJ Nash,

This email has been sent to inform you that your payment, #31897, has been updated. Keep this email for your personal records.
Order Details
Order Number: 31897
Order Date: 11/28/2014 12:12 AM
Shipping Method: Flat Rate Shipping
Payment Method: Credit card payment
Product/Service Information
Product Name Part No. Quantity Item Price Total Price
Esoterica- Margate
Quantity: 8 ounce factory unit
1 $22.95 $22.95
Esoterica- Penzance
1 $22.95 $22.95
Esoterica- Stonehaven
1 $22.95 $22.95
Subtotal: $68.85
Shipping & Handling: $6.95
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $75.80

Kyle Weiss":cwzzss7r said:
Mike Rutt at Mars Cigars is a swell guy, and I'll never get tired of telling people that.  
Noggins' staff is cool.
JRCigars is cool, but they have sometimes random/limited stock of pipe tabacs.

My local Tinder Box just sent out a letter about price increases of their tobacco.   Their prices hadn't raised in five years, though the cost has been creeping since then.   I think prices went up 5% at most, but they're 30% pricier than online.   Online places I can't go sit and smoke for hours, watch baseball, help myself to stuff in the back fridge, and do so with friends.

It all works out.  Do business with who treats you right.    The other stuff behind-the-scenes (mergers, new distributors, hurricanes supposedly wiping out the best crops) you can't do much about, sometimes.  

8)

puros_bran":3axezqep said:
Peter, I will tell you who I have shopped with.....
Excluding local B&M's scattered across the country.
Knoxcigar (back when there was a Knox cigar)
Smokingpipes.com
Marscigars.com
Cupojoes.com

Those 4 have got 99.9% of my business specifically for the reason you mentioned... Back then the first hosted the forum I was on and the other three seemed like good people... Since my interlude in smoking Rich @4noggins has been pretty upstanding with the folk here.. Him and Mike @mars would get my money now a days.
PB...you're pretty much like me...smokingpipes.com and Marscigars.com most often get my business...in fact, I just sent Mike an order for Esoterica Brighton, Ramsgate and Woodbridge all at $22.99 per 8 oz. bag.

4Nogs has always been great with me, but they totally blew it this week. They called the day the order was supposed to arrive at my place to "verify the address". Instead of having my sister bring it down here when she visits, I'm going to have to spring for international shipping that either will or will not get here thanks to customs. :evil:

puros_bran":p84x31v1 said:
I may or may not have ordered from them some years ago, but I don't think so... I've been boycotting them since 1999.
I'd like to see a list of places you aren't boycotting these days, Peebs...I'm guessing it's a bit shorter than the list of the ones you are?

*backs away slowly*

idbowman":ycvvbavf said:
puros_bran":ycvvbavf said:
I may or may not have ordered from them some years ago, but I don't think so... I've been boycotting them since 1999.
I'd like to see a list of places you aren't boycotting these days, Peebs...I'm guessing it's a bit shorter than the list of the ones you are?

*backs away slowly*

......and had I scrolled down a click or two more I'd have seen that's done and done.

*slinks away in shame*

I've been watching and reading this thread as it has progressed and I don't see the reason for it! We live in a society of retail competition. If one can want's to buy something, they look to find it at a price THEY CAN AFFORD and if it's available, they purchase it where they can get it at the price they can pay !! We have a long history of items being sold at exorbitant prices but that's just Capitolism!! We've become a nation of whiners when we can't get things OUR way, and if one doesn't think so. just listen to talk radio which THRIVES on WHINING !! I would like to have a Mercedes but can only afford a used Kia. Such is life :twisted: :twisted: Onward Thru the Fog :twisted: :twisted:

I'm a whore.. most orders I make I will fill the baskets with the same products at 4noggins, smoking pipes, cupofjoes, mars, p&c. if they all are within $10 or so of each other I go with 4noggins. but, getting much over that I go with the best buy. the savings amounts to another tin.

Bullwinkle":g36vhzgj said:
I'm a whore.. most orders I make I will fill the baskets with the same products at 4noggins, smoking pipes, cupofjoes, mars, p&c.  if they all are within $10 or so of each other I go with 4noggins.  but, getting much over that I go with the best buy.  the savings amounts to another tin.
I do similarly, and not just with tobacco, but with anything I'm in the market for.

Richard Burley":g36vhzgj said:
Why should anyone sell X commodity for less than they can get for it?  I don't get it.  The Esoterica blends are underpriced.
Amen.

idbowman":g36vhzgj said:
Puff Daddy":g36vhzgj said:
To be fair, we don't know what the distributor is charging them for it.
Yep yep yep.  Esoterica is a brand known for it's high demand and similarly high prices. ...

Anyone expecting any tobacco product (let alone a brand with Esoterica's reputation, demand, and cult following) to be some sort of a loss-leader is fooling themselves.
Amen (Emphasis mine)

MisterE":g36vhzgj said:
I think the market will even itself out. If not now, eventually. For the moment, Esoterica and Balkan Sobranie are hot items people feel pressured to get. It will hit a ceiling and come back down. Maybe not in time for Christmas, though. ;)

Some of you will remember the FVF balloon about five years ago. There was the same Ebay gouging going on. However, FVF is again available and reasonably priced. Nobody "did" anything.

I think that's the nature of free market. Prices will always reflect what the market will bear. Don't think it's worth it? Don't buy it. Pretty soon many will come to the same conclusion and the spike will come back down. The dissent is already happening. This thread proves that.
Great points, although I think I read that S Gawith increased FVF production (they 'did something'). I don't understand why Germain's doesn't do the same or charge more to the distributor. That's the real surprise, given the demand of these products.

You also have to think about monopolies. if P&C were the only place anyone could buy tobacco, they still could only charge as much as people are willing to pay. I bet a lot of us would quit pipe smoking if 1Q cost $1k/oz. But if they dropped prices, more people could afford to smoke, and the slimmer margins would be made up for by increased sales volume. Even with monopolies there is a point of equilibrium, and we're not even talking about a monopoly here.

DoverPipes":g36vhzgj said:
First off let me say this, "IT'S ALL PB's FAULT"!!!!!! :p

Second, I have little to no problem with a seller on E-Bay getting $200 from any idiot who is willing to pay it in an OPEN AUCTION! I do have a problem with retailers jacking up prices to line their pockets! P&C is currently robbing people on the Esoterica & Balkan Sobranie. I have always dealt with P&C because of Russ. However, I think what they are doing currently is outrageous! So, I bought my Balkan Sobranie from smokingpipes.com and paid less than 1/3 of what P&C was charging. I'll buy from who ever deals fair and square.
I don't understand the differences between retailers lining their pockets and individuals lining their pockets via high prices, and I have a problem with neither. I think it's laughable to say they're robbing people. No one from P&C is forcing anyone to buy those products. Robbery involves taking something without someone's consent. Everyone who pays P&C or eBay prices is giving their consent, i.e. willfully handing over their money. If anyone is coming close to committing robbery, it's the government's sin taxes on tobacco, which we can't get around. Every shop is forced to charge those prices. If I'm not mistaken, this is why tobacco costs so much in Europe, and not here. But they're coming for us, too. Since 2009, RYO cig tobacco has been taxed at $24/lb, while pipe tobacco is $3 or something. There is stuff in the works to even out that disparity.

Why aren't people demanding that Rad Davis charge 'fair' prices' for his pipes. I mean, $800 for something just 'cause it has some over-hyped, flawless, smooth, straight grain?! That's price gouging! I can get a corn cob that smokes just fine for $3! Or what about Dunhil pipes vs. Peterson's? Why is one so much more expensive? Is it perhaps that people are paying for the name, the tradition, at least to some extent? The truth is, value is in the eye of the consumer, and to charge less than consumers are willing to pay is ridiculous, and leads to shortages.

puros_bran":g36vhzgj said:
Big 'merger' a couple years ago.. HQ switched out to CI's HQ in Bethlahem PA.    There was a thread on it where guys said "hey it's a good thing"... Lol.   Yup sure was.  Lmao
They did drop the prices on PS Luxury Flakes at that point. I remember right after the website switch I got to the old website from a bookmark, and the prices on those blends were higher before, but are now in line with other PS blends. Some good things, some bad it seems. (Newminster prices were lower before).

monbla256":g36vhzgj said:
I've been watching and reading this thread as it has progressed and I don't see the reason for it! We live in a society of retail competition. If one can want's to buy something, they look to find it at a price THEY CAN AFFORD and if it's available, they purchase it where they can get it at the price they can pay !! We have a long history of items being sold at exorbitant prices but that's just Capitolism!! We've become a nation of whiners when we can't get things OUR way, and if one doesn't think so. just listen to talk radio which THRIVES on WHINING !! I would like to have a Mercedes but can only afford a used Kia. Such is life :twisted: :twisted:  Onward Thru the Fog :twisted: :twisted:
Amen. I don't see why it's immoral to charge these prices for one blend of tobacco that's in high demand. Why don't people apply this to cars or houses or anything else, and demand the prices they want and accuse the seller of being a thief?

Here is the simple point: Everyone is out of stock of Penzance, Stonehaven, and probably every other Esoterica blend. That's because the demand is high (either because tobaccos are better or because of hype; it doesn't really matter). If P&C were really charging too much, they'd have shelves full of the stuff that they couldn't move, and the market would demand they lower their prices. But people want it, even at $130/ 8 oz bag (eBay). eBay and P&C actually serve a purpose. Those who can't be online constantly get a chance to try Esoteric tobaccos if they're willing to pay the premium for not sitting all day withing for the email to get their one shot at the limited stock. If not for those venues, the rich guys with little free time would be out of luck. But nobody cares about them. People just care about how the prices affect them, and not the fact that higher prices would give more people pause to consider whether to buy them, leaving them on the shelves longer, and giving the guys with less time and more money a chance to get in on the action.

It's actually really remarkable how standardized pipe tobacco prices are. Compare them to cigars. The average price of a tin of tobacco is pretty consistent ($6 to $15 or so), whereas you can buy cigars for $1/stick or $30+/stick. Do people on cigar fora complain about the prices of Davidoffs? I just want to know why Esoterica/Germain are charging so little.

And this is why I chose to find good enough replacements for these Blends...

To ask the question the other way, is it unfair/immoral for a consumer to buy things on sale becuase those prices aren't fair? When BnB did a Groupon for 50% off $100, should I have just gone and paid retail asking price because anything that varies from the $10/tin average price is wrong to do? Did I rob them when I used said Groupon?

bentbulldog":7pzuuzy0 said:
And this is why I chose to find good enough replacements for these Blends...
As do I, but I'm not not going to call them thieves for charging what everyone who bought from them thought was a fair price.

Thomas Tkach":3smc4ucd said:
It's actually really remarkable how standardized pipe tobacco prices are. Compare them to cigars. The average price of a tin of tobacco is pretty consistent ($6 to $15 or so), whereas you can buy cigars for $1/stick or $30+/stick. Do people on cigar fora complain about the prices of Davidoffs? I just want to know why Esoterica/Germain are charging so little.
I think that pipe tobacco and cigars are different types of commodity.
Think of it as beer and wine. Wine can range from $5 a bottle, to $5000 on the high end. The price range of the beer however can go as much as between Wall Mart beer and Trapist beers. And that's not much. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

balkan_boy":lkznymvv said:
Thomas Tkach":lkznymvv said:
I think that pipe tobacco and cigars are different types of commodity.
Think of it as beer and wine. Wine can range from $5 a bottle, to $5000 on the high end. The price range of the beer however can go as much as between Wall Mart beer and Trapist beers. And that's not much. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong.
You're definitely right about that comparison. I'm a beer and pipe guy, not cigars and wine for that reason. Westy 12 when released in US sold for nearly $100 /sixer, so it's the Penzance of the craft beer world.

My point was more that we should count our blessings instead of whining about one tobacco blend. We should be glad that there are so many good beer and tobacco options at standard prices, and that for whatever reason the beer and pipe markets are so different. (Although I think my point about the massive variation in prices of pipes shows that the other half of our hobby is more like the wine/cigar world.)

a VW or a Porsche will get you to the same place in about the same amount time (unless you don't care about speeding tickets) so why do I see about the same number of Porsche's around the Metro area as VW's?

I can buy a perfectly fine Peterson or Savinelli for a $100 but the JT Cookes, Rad Davis's are always sold out at $800+? if people weren't buying the JT Cooke's before the email even lands then the prices would come down. I don't remember anyone bitching about the Cooke's, Rad's or even guys you never heard of pricing pipes at $500+.

profit is NOT a dirty word. did I see anyone bitching about a pound of Nightcap at $32?

Bullwinkle":ay204vl1 said:
a VW or a Porsche will get you to the same place in about the same amount time (unless you don't care about speeding tickets) so why do I see about the same number of Porsche's around the Metro area as VW's?  

I can buy a perfectly fine Peterson or Savinelli for a $100 but the JT Cookes, Rad Davis's are always sold out at $800+? if people weren't buying the JT Cooke's before the email even lands then the prices would come down. I don't remember anyone bitching about the Cooke's, Rad's or even guys you never heard of pricing pipes at $500+.

profit is NOT a dirty word.  did I see anyone bitching about a pound of Nightcap at $32?  
Owning an expensive pipe you've mentioned displays status, taste for fine arts, nobility, aristocracy? Passion for collecting? Whatever. It is a symbol of something, something you can show off, and pump your ego with. Although in my personal opinion, it's just about how insecure you are with yourself. Anyway, an expensive pipe is obtained not for the sole purpose to deliver a nice smoking experience, but something more than that. Tobacco on the other hand...... pure hedonism, awesome smoke, and that's about it. Nothing more as an added value.

I've read a funny review of Penzance in tobaccoreviews that made me laugh loud, but there's so much truth in it regarding our topic.

I'm pasting it here for convenience. It's by some guy named "FunkyD in the Morning"

Here it is:

Well, I've read a whole lot about this blend on tobacco internet forums across the cyberspace. The consensus seemed to be that Penzance was an amazing blend that no one would ever copy and that its so great and "oh i have 5 lbs. cellared and you don't LOL". Although I generally do not give in to this sort of bragging/teasing (I always give in), I became obsessed with getting my gritty little fingernails on a tin/pounch/mound/bowl/lick the residue out of an old estate of penzance.

Every store I visited, and every "online store" I clicked on seemed to be fresh out of stuff. It was no where to be found, but EVERYONE was saying how great it was. "Oh you know this tobacco is good....BUT NOT AS GOOD AS PENZANCE!! SILLY MORTALS AND YOUR NON-PENZANCE TOBACCOS AH HA HA!"

Feeling like Charlie from that willy wonka story, I grew depressed as I yearned for the tobacco, all the while I performed a musical number as i stared into the moon. I wanted to be just as cool as the 60-year old guy sitting in his underwear hiding in his closet from his beast-of-a-wife and posting on the internet bragging about his non-existent scrooge McDuck supply of Penzance.

So I waited for my chance, and nearly forgot about penzance. Until that faithful day.

I was browsing Craigslist for the usual stuff. Free dirt, old furniture being sold at full price, and anonymous sex, when I came across a most interesting Ad. It read "PENZANCE? I GOT YOUR FIX." I became excited and quickly replied to the ad demanding that I be sold/given penzance immediately and that I would do anything for the chance.

He said that what he had was very rare and that it would cost me a ton of money. I said I didn't care, and I knew about the rarity of penzance. We set up a drop point in the city. He would drive by in a orange and yellow VW "NEW" beetle, and he would throw the penzance out the car, I was to wear a red balloon for identification. At the same time, I was to use my smartphone to hand over the cash via paypal to his online account, as he checked for updates. He said that if his account wasn't updated by the time he reached 8th street, he'd hunt my down and drag me out to a forest. So I agreed.

The next day I took an early lunch from work and waited in the "spot" with a red balloon in hand. 5 minutes had passed and I began to sweat in the hot sun. I knew this was a bad idea, no tobacco is worth this effort. But then he came, and I saw his fruity bug vroom on down the street. He threw out what looked like a pretty large package for tobacco and I became as giddy as a little schoolgirl. He held his hand out of his bug and gave me this little wave that really threw me off. Whatever...I knew what I had to do, I didn't want to get dragged off into the woods, I hate camping. So I forked over the $200 on my phone and ran over to the package to open it up. IT was quite large and rather heavy! Take that old creepy coward liar!

This is where the fun stopped however. I opened the package and my heart sank into my lower back. Inside was a copy of the script, music sheets, and autographed picture for the cast of "Pirates of Penzance". It began to rain, and I fell to my knees and cried. That creepy old man on the internet had won, look at what he did to me. Why would I go through all of this for some stupid tobacco? Is my life really that empty that I must give into the hype of some stuff that apparently smells like old bum?

My life changed that day, and I no longer felt the need to have the best, seal away the most, smoke the best or be the "best". I became me.

A couple of months after that, my cousin came over to my house with a tin of penzance. I showed restraint, and did not get overly excited. We smoked it all night long.

It was ok.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/498/esoterica-tobacciana-penzance

balkan_boy":qo7rhu0l said:
Bullwinkle":qo7rhu0l said:

profit is NOT a dirty word.  did I see anyone bitching about a pound of Nightcap at $32?  
Owning an expensive pipe you've mentioned displays status, taste for fine arts, nobility, aristocracy? Passion for collecting?  Whatever. It is a symbol of something, something you can show off, and pump your ego with. Although in my personal opinion, it's just about how insecure you are with yourself. Anyway, an expensive pipe is obtained not for the sole purpose to deliver a nice smoking experience, but something more than that. Tobacco on the other hand...... pure hedonism, awesome smoke, and that's about it. Nothing more as an added value.

I've read a funny review of Penzance in tobaccoreviews that made me laugh loud, but there's so much truth in it regarding our topic.

I'm pasting it here for convenience. It's by some guy named "FunkyD in the Morning"

Here it is:
I'd actually push back a little on the parts in bold. Maybe you meant this under 'taste for fine arts', but One reason I want nice looking pipes is because they look nice. They have aesthetic value. It's not necessarily for showing off to other people, but because I appreciate the beauty and derive enjoyment from it myself. I'm sure the other factors also come into play as well, and some might be more a factor for others than for me. But that's neither here nor there. My main point is below.

About tobacco, though, I think the intangible bit is part of it here, also. Some people collect rare tobaccos. It may not be that the tobacco is any better, but it's the thrill of the hunt for something few others can acquire. I think part of the hype is that Penzance is a superior tobacco, but the hype itself probably influences people perception of it, so that they think it's better because it's supposed to be. In addition, just the hype of something rare or hard to obtain adds value in some people's mind. I love CS Lewis, so it'd be great to smoke the old Three Nuns. The tobacco itself might not be that good after this much age, but it'd be kind of cool to say I smoked the same stuff he was smoking while he wrote the books I love. I might pay $15 for just one bowl of that tobacco to smoke while I write a term paper. It'd be purely sentimental value, but it's still value. I think the legend of Penzance is growing, and this sentimental value is adding to it's demand and perceived value by many consumers. I don't think pipes and tobacco are quite as different as you've said.

Also, that review is funny.

I find these online collegiate-formatted 101 classes on the ins and outs of unnecessary pleasure items kind of amusing.   If the hyperbole filter is truly off, please, talk more about the morality of people who are forced at gunpoint to smoke $3 corncob pipes with Smoker's Pride and what indignities that causes.  

8)

Thomas Tkach, I agree with you sir, With a pinch of salt however. As the appeal of a pipe contributes to the enjoyment, it's not of crucial importance. I can easily get over the "ugliness" of a pipe, but can't make a compromise with bad tobacco.

I'd pay $15 for a bowl of the old three nuns as well, because of CS Lewis, (I'm a fan also) and would easily pay let's say $100 for 8 oz of Penzance, but would never buy a "white spot pipe" for $1500 or any of the Japanese or Danish masterpieces for that price. After all, it's just a pipe.

balkan_boy":8dug1f2g said:
Bullwinkle":8dug1f2g said:

Owning an expensive pipe you've mentioned displays status, taste for fine arts, nobility, aristocracy? Passion for collecting?  Whatever. It is a symbol of something, something you can show off, and pump your ego with. Although in my personal opinion, it's just about how insecure you are with yourself. Anyway, an expensive pipe is obtained not for the sole purpose to deliver a nice smoking experience, but something more than that. Tobacco on the other hand...... pure hedonism, awesome smoke, and that's about it. Nothing more as an added value.

Here it is:

Well, I've read a whole lot about this blend on tobacco internet forums across the cyberspace. The consensus seemed to be that Penzance was an amazing blend that no one would ever copy and that its so great and "oh i have 5 lbs. cellared and you don't LOL". Although I generally do not give in to this sort of bragging/teasing (I always give in), I became obsessed with getting my gritty little fingernails on a tin/pounch/mound/bowl/lick the residue out of an old estate of penzance.

Every store I visited, and every "online store" I clicked on seemed to be fresh out of stuff. It was no where to be found, but EVERYONE was saying how great it was. "Oh you know this tobacco is good....BUT NOT AS GOOD AS PENZANCE!! SILLY MORTALS AND YOUR NON-PENZANCE TOBACCOS AH HA HA!"

Feeling like Charlie from that willy wonka story, I grew depressed as I yearned for the tobacco, all the while I performed a musical number as i stared into the moon. I wanted to be just as cool as the 60-year old guy sitting in his underwear hiding in his closet from his beast-of-a-wife and posting on the internet bragging about his non-existent scrooge McDuck supply of Penzance.

So I waited for my chance, and nearly forgot about penzance. Until that faithful day.

I was browsing Craigslist for the usual stuff. Free dirt, old furniture being sold at full price, and anonymous sex, when I came across a most interesting Ad. It read "PENZANCE? I GOT YOUR FIX." I became excited and quickly replied to the ad demanding that I be sold/given penzance immediately and that I would do anything for the chance.

He said that what he had was very rare and that it would cost me a ton of money. I said I didn't care, and I knew about the rarity of penzance. We set up a drop point in the city. He would drive by in a orange and yellow VW "NEW" beetle, and he would throw the penzance out the car, I was to wear a red balloon for identification. At the same time, I was to use my smartphone to hand over the cash via paypal to his online account, as he checked for updates. He said that if his account wasn't updated by the time he reached 8th street, he'd hunt my down and drag me out to a forest. So I agreed.

The next day I took an early lunch from work and waited in the "spot" with a red balloon in hand. 5 minutes had passed and I began to sweat in the hot sun. I knew this was a bad idea, no tobacco is worth this effort. But then he came, and I saw his fruity bug vroom on down the street. He threw out what looked like a pretty large package for tobacco and I became as giddy as a little schoolgirl. He held his hand out of his bug and gave me this little wave that really threw me off. Whatever...I knew what I had to do, I didn't want to get dragged off into the woods, I hate camping. So I forked over the $200 on my phone and ran over to the package to open it up. IT was quite large and rather heavy! Take that old creepy coward liar!

This is where the fun stopped however. I opened the package and my heart sank into my lower back. Inside was a copy of the script, music sheets, and autographed picture for the cast of "Pirates of Penzance". It began to rain, and I fell to my knees and cried. That creepy old man on the internet had won, look at what he did to me. Why would I go through all of this for some stupid tobacco? Is my life really that empty that I must give into the hype of some stuff that apparently smells like old bum?

My life changed that day, and I no longer felt the need to have the best, seal away the most, smoke the best or be the "best". I became me.

A couple of months after that, my cousin came over to my house with a tin of penzance. I showed restraint, and did not get overly excited. We smoked it all night long.

It was ok.

Since I smoke alone 98% percent of the time and maybe an hour or so every other week at the pipe shop exactly who am I showing off to/for? kind of like I like nice underwear instead to the cheap crap so I spend extra for something nicer.. I'm sure that if I ever end up in the ER the nurses will be impressed.