Prices On Orlik Made Dunnie Blends Rising!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Amazingly enough now that Orlik has stopped importing Nightcap, #965 and Early Morning Pipe prices on the newer Orlik made blends have gone through the roof!

Look on e-bay and you'll be amazed! All the stuff that's been bashed and ridiculed for not being up to the standards of Murray's production is being ravenously bought up!

There's some real irony here folks! :lol:

Well, lets see if I get interrupted again. Been busy all morning. I tried twice to reply to this thread.

Yes, prices are going out of sight on these items. It's like a general panic. I have felt it. When I didn't think I had enough of an item.

Let me say, I have yet to try the Orlik Dunhill versions. But I have some stashed. I am also evaluating a replacement blend for Murray Dunhill Standard Mixture for my cellar. At least to my taster it's pretty close. In the same vein so to speak.

It starts at first light like any plain English. But the first thing I notice is a toasty flavor. Not as pronounced as the Dunhill version, but it's there and that's a plus. The descriptions mention no orientals. But they are there as condiments and they build throughout the bowl. Or, a carefully chosen group of Virginia's that emulate the effect of orientals. Add to that the decent strength of the blend and and it's pretty close.

To which one, you ask? All of them. At first light and a sip or two into the bowl, I think it's a lot like Standard Mixture Mild. But the orientals, or the effect builds and I am saying "Hey!", this is a lot like Standard Mixture Medium. The later part of the bowl is nearing Standard Mixture Full. At least the one old tin I had to compare it against. Not quite reaching the nicotine strength, but coming very close to the spicy effect. Which in my limited experience with Full may have been due to the age of the Latakia in the blend having mellowed over the years.

What is this magical blend that I find similar to the Murray Dunhill Standard Mixtures? Fribourg & Treyer Waterloo #2 Mixture. I can hear the "Yeah, buts" already. The old guy over at TR says................ Well, my tongue is different than the old guy's. I also have been smoking 5 year old tins, and age may have helped the Waterloo #2 Mixture a lot.

This kinda morphed into a review. Not sure how that happened. Musta been low bloodsugar. Yeah. I always run off at the mouth when my sugar gets low. :D

Orlik has profaned the infamous Erinmore Mixture,it's been brought to a much
lower level than can be imagined.I know many detested it but it was my first imported blend and I thought the world of it for years.Shame on the shameless!

Winslow :sunny:

Was doing a little rearranging of the ol' tobacco tins today. I kept looking at my stash of DH tins (Murray and Orlik); wondering just how much I could get for them on Ebay!! :twisted: FTRPLT

ftrplt":cu2bhn52 said:
Was doing a little rearranging of the ol' tobacco tins today. I kept looking at my stash of DH tins (Murray and Orlik); wondering just how much I could get for them on Ebay!! :twisted: FTRPLT
Sell! Sell! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ftrplt":uwm39m8d said:
I've seen Murrays made #965, Aperitif, Eliz and EMP go for $40-$50 per tin. London Mix, Standard Mix and Royal Yacht at $25- to $30-

Prices will go up! I'd wait a year or two before selling...

Whew, guys!! Those prices are making me hurt! I do have a few EMPS, Nightcaps, SMMedium, one SMMild, and one last pretty old Durbar I had forgotten about (funny the things one finds when rearranging!!). Think I'll just hold on and see what transpires :twisted: FTRPLT

Danish_Pipe_Guy":jw9lo62k said:
ftrplt":jw9lo62k said:
I've seen Murrays made #965, Aperitif, Eliz and EMP go for $40-$50 per tin. London Mix, Standard Mix and Royal Yacht at $25- to $30-

Prices will go up! I'd wait a year or two before selling...
For the last year, I have kept track of prices on eBay and elsewhere for many vintage / desirable tins as part of a much larger project of recording market values for my own collection. Here are the current averages for all of last year and most of Jan. of this year for the Dunhills, straight from my ever growing spreadsheet:

Dunhill Aperitif 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant) $25.45
Dunhill Aperitif 50g. tin Dunhill Shop $25.92
Dunhill Aperitif 50g. tin Murray's (label) $32.46
Dunhill Aperitif 50g. tin Orlik (label) $19.79
Dunhill Durbar Mixture 50g. tin Murray's $39.95
Dunhill Durbar Mixture 50g. tin Orlik - Lane EU $32.70
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe 100g. tin Murray's $80.13
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe 50g. tin Murray's $35.11
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $22.56
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture 50g. tin Murray's (tails) $46.00
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture 50g. tin Murray's $38.15
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $33.69
Dunhill Light Flake 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $42.00
Dunhill Light Flake 50g. tin Murray's - Ln. old lbl + wht. CA right $21.93
Dunhill London Mixture 100g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $82.25
Dunhill London Mixture 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $56.99
Dunhill London Mixture 50g. tin Murray's $28.24
Dunhill London Mixture 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $25.35
Dunhill Mild Blend 50g. tin Murray's $26.09
Dunhill Mr. Alfred's Own Mixture 50g. tin Dunhill $108.50
Dunhill My Mixture 10 (1992) 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $68.50
Dunhill My Mixture 20 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $97.45
Dunhill My Mixture 73 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $77.08
Dunhill My Mixture 965 100g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $305.00
Dunhill My Mixture 965 50g. tin Dunhill (tails) $69.50
Dunhill My Mixture 965 50g. tin Murray's $43.81
Dunhill My Mixture 965 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $24.55
Dunhill My Mixture 1066 100g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $285.40
Dunhill My Mixture Aperitif 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $41.00
Dunhill My Mixture Baby's Bottom 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $39.60
Dunhill My Mixture Cuba 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $46.75
Dunhill My Mixture Duke St., St. James 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $36.00
Dunhill My Mixture Durbar 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $46.75
Dunhill My Mixture Mr. Alfred's Own Mixture 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $57.90
Dunhill My Mixture Shell 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $31.95
Dunhill My Mixture White Spot 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $62.38
Dunhill My Mixture Ye Olde Signe 50g. tin Dunhill Shop (hand blended) $79.50
Dunhill Navy Rolls 50g. tin Murray's $53.14
Dunhill Nightcap 50g. tin Murray's $41.86
Dunhill Nightcap 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $24.21
Dunhill Ready Rubbed 50g. tin Murray's $26.43
Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $25.45
Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild 50g. tin Murray's $24.79
Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild 50g. tin Orlik - Lane $35.00
Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $49.17
Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium 100g. tin Murray's $74.77
Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium 50g. tin Murray's $26.51
Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium 50g. tin Orlik - Lane (painted) $19.25
Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium 50g. tin Orlik - Lane (label) $23.25
Dunhill Standard Mixture Full 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $166.44
Dunhill Standard Mixture Full 100g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $268.94
Dunhill Ultra Mild 50g. tin Murray's $37.76
Dunhill Virginia Ready Rubbed 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant + tails) $50.41
Dunhill Virginia Ready Rubbed 50g. tin Dunhill Shop $27.00
Dunhill Ye Olde Signe 50g. tin Dunhill (warrant) $96.50

According to Kapnismologist's list, I cannot afford to smoke my stash of Dunhill blends, which is composed mostly of Murray's Durbar, with a couple of dozen tins of London Mixture for good measure, all bought years ago upon the first rumors of Murray's demise. There simply is no way that I would ever pay over $20 for a 50g tin (if we ever reach those prices I'll simply stop smoking). I shall sell them all to buy Westminster and Odyssey!