Primitive but smokes well

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
A few months ago I realized that I didn't have a pipe at my shop.  Having wood and a lathe I decided to whip up something that could be smoked.  After a couple of tries  and some testing I find that my odd looking attempt smokes quite cool and is enjoyable, if not a showpiece.

Oldbear

dscn7712.jpg

Looks smokable to me!

As a concerned brother, I just have to put this out there though. If you didn't use briar for the bowl, and don't know the toxicity levels of the wood you did use, you might want to look into it before puffing too much on it. Some wood types can be quite harmful if used in these kinds of ways. Some people are aware of this, but some aren't. I never even thought about it until I started making pipes.

I dug up a link on toxic woods in case you need it. You can see it Here!

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Maple is usually considered pretty safe.

Looking over the list you referenced suggests that I stay home in bed and avoid touching any wood products for life.

What about toothpicks? Salad bowls and tongs? Cutting boards?

I promise I won't make a pipe from oleander!

Oldbear

oldbear58":ghzwi23j said:
Maple is usually considered pretty safe.

Looking over the list you referenced suggests that I stay home in bed and avoid touching any wood products for life.

What about toothpicks?  Salad bowls and tongs?  Cutting boards?

I promise I won't make a pipe from oleander!

Oldbear
Smoking out of and handling are two different things.
The heat in which a pipe produces while drawing on it is approximately 750 degrees and this can certainly release oils into the tobacco that can be very toxic to us. Handling and eating off of is different and I think this is what has to be kept in mind.
I'm sure Brian only had this in mind when posting the list.

"Primitive" or "colonial."  I can't make up my mind.   :scratch:

As for toxicity, it seems to me that people who cook on wood fires, or sit around a campfire, or even just have a fireplace in use would ingest these toxins by the bagful. I'm speaking of the common U.S.A. woods, of course, not some weird exotic of which I know nothing.

Thank you for the po. I have heard that madrone or mansanita were used for pipes during WW2. The list had no mention of these woods. Oh well.

I didn't mean to derail this thread. In kindness I was just trying to throw out a caution.

I think it looks cool! Has the mountain man vibe.  :cheers: 

Brian, would you mind throwing up a link for that article on the toxicity of various woods? I'm curious.

My favorite briar alternative is not listed on that page. Mulberry-makes a fine pipe.

ejames":bu9odbwz said:
My favorite briar alternative is not listed on that page. Mulberry-makes a fine pipe.
Hi Ed!

Properly cured mulberry wood makes a fine smoking pipe. I have a large custom made EJames mulberry poker --light weight, cool smoking, and needed little time to break in -- it won't be my last  ;) 

In this vein I might mention that elderberry wood is quite toxic:
Toxicity

The leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots contain a Cyanide producing Glycoside. Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body. In addition, the unripened berry, flowers and "Umbels" contain a toxic Alkaloid.
Due to the possibility of cyanide poisoning, children should be discouraged from making whistles, slingshots or other toys from elderberry wood. In addition, "herbal teas" made with elderberry leaves (which contain cyanide inducing glycosides) should be treated with high caution. However, ripe berries (pulp and skin) are safe to eat.
http://theplantencyclopedia.org/wiki/Sambucus

Oldbear

Back on track - that is a cracking pipe, that I would be delighted to have in my hand - it has the presence and utilitarianism that would make it a firm favourite and a regular smoker (probably too regular).

In short I really, really like it.

Even better? You made it herself, so it was free - way to go, Oldbear  :sunny: :sunny: 

1FD7DDBD-A2BB-4333-8893-5353F7A440F1-15381-00001DBDD6B6105F_zps264a2c5b.jpg
[/img] Here is the first Mulberry pipe EJames made for me, crackerjack pipe.

C89A4807-048E-4674-A9EE-81F85A5C5E88-15381-00001DBEE911DD77_zps45cd2a71.jpg
[/img] they are left Natural, grain is stunning, break in 2 or 3 smokes, very good smokers, extremely light.

+1

Mulberry wood makes a fine pipe and Ed James' work is absolutely superb.

I'm smoking my EJames Mulberry right now  ;)