Proper enjoyment of Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Soshae

Reaction score
It is a cool morning here in Alabama. I have decided to break out the campfire smelling tobacco. After all the snooty reviews of Penzance I have decided to disagree. Penzance always causes me to reminisce about backpacking on the Appalacian and Pinhoti trails. For me Penzance takes me back to simpler times and places around a campfire.

This morning I decided to load the esteemed tobacco into a lowly cob. The Cavicchi and Dunhill pipes do not fit into this cool quiet morning. I skipped the ceramic coffee mugs and decided to put some instant Folgers into a styrofoam cup. I have taken a seat beside the pond and my Doberman is lying in the grass beside me. This is a great morning. The sounds of birds are gentle this cool morning with only an occasional louder caw of a crow. Penzance has found its setting.

In only a few more weeks Molly (the Doberman) and I will be headed to the Appalacian trail to begin our fall backpacking. In my mind, I am already there thanks in part to the evergreen aroma of this simple tobacco.

I guess my next recreated memory should be sitting on a tractor in a hay barn while smoking some FVF.

May you guys have a blessed day and enjoy the fall season we are entering.

Wonderful way to start the day!

Thanks for sharing that, Brother.

I used to do a lot of hiking. We have several good sized state parks in my area with many miles of great hiking trails. Some only take a few hours to walk, others take a couple of days. This story is inspiring. I might have to dust off the backpack, make a couple of Soda-Can alcohol stoves to take with me, and do some hiking this year.

Fall seems to have started early here, it was 41-deg. F when I woke up this morning.

in a hay barn while smoking
Yes....sounds dangerous. I am definitely not recommending this to anyone. This is just what I think of every time I open the FVF tin.

Rob, I have carried the alcohol stoves but for the last few years I have taken the lazy way out by using a Jet Boil.

J Soshae":iyiea6n8 said:
Rob, I have carried the alcohol stoves but for the last few years I have taken the lazy way out by using a Jet Boil.
Don't blame you Brother, it is much less hassle. Being a seasoned backpacker, I was sure you either had used or at least were familiar with the small alcohol stoves. Simplicity at it's best. I never liked the fumes from the 91% rubbing alcohol, so I always used the yellow-bottle Heet. But then by the time you take along a pot stand and a wind screen, then Yes - the Jet Boil is the way to go.

Either way, thanks for sharing!

I love Dobermans... they're really cool dogs. Very distinct bark. I spent quite a bit of time with two of them when I was a teen sharing some open space with a family that was sort-of on the lam when I lived in my Corolla. "Moose" was a 160lb "red" Dobie, and I feared no mountain lion nor coyote pack with him around, we'd go hiking around the juniper-covered desert hills in NE California. Not very smart, all heart and all business (depending on the situation). :)

Penzance never struck me as a "snooty 'bac" except for the fact it's hard to obtain. Other than that, your reflections when smoking it mirror mine...back in my teen years, I had to make do with whatever crap RYO cigarettes or Borkum Riff was available... :lol:

8)

Pretty much all latakia blends remind me of hiking/camping in the mountains, which used to be one of my favorite hobbies. It's one of the reasons I gravitate toward english/balkan mixtures.

I've never really gotten the impression that Penzance is somehow snooty, unless you call the Anglophilia that afflicts many of us pipe smokers "snooty!" : :lol: