Prospective pipe smoker from South Africa

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustKyle2711

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

My name is Justin, i'm 23 years old and am unfortunately an avid cigarette smoker.
I smoked a pipe solely for about a year and a half, but then fell off the wagon (so to speak) and have had a hard time getting back on ever since.

Any advice on kicking cigs for good would be greatly appreciated.

Since going back to cigs, I decided in my infinite wisdom to get rid of my collection of 30 or so pipes, so I'm starting all over again. Not the worst thing in the world, but I still wish I hadn't been so silly.

Anywho, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Kind Regars

J

Justin,

Not to discourage you from pipes, because I think smoking a pipe "could" help. But the convenience of a cigarette is almost the polar opposite from smoking a pipe. I've seen people have good success switching from ciggs to E-ciggs. They're extremely convenient and very similar. I've heard people say that once you start E-ciggs and completely quit smoking cigarettes, at some point you almost get bored of the whole thing and just quit. I'm sure it's different for everybody, but you might give it a try.

Smoking a pipe might be nice to add back in once you're off cigarettes.

I don't speak from personal experience here...just hearsay.

Good luck!

Brian.

having put down cigs about 2.5 weeks ago, the pipe didn't help a lot. Snuff did, largely due to the ease of use and quickness.

Not sure if I could have done it nearly as easily on just the pipe.

depends on your circumstances I guess. It's hard for me to find time for more than 1 or 2 pipes a day...

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks so much for the replies!

Whilst giving up cigs will not be easy, I love pipe smoking! I love the process of packing the pipe, the smell of a freshly opened tin of tabac, and the excitement of adding another item to one's collection.

The difficulty I face is that cigs are almost instantaneous in their delivery of nicotine, whereas pipes encourage one to sit back and relax. I used to have a full time job in the past, and that didn't lend itself to my pursuit of the pipe, however I have been afforded the wonderful opportunity to not need to work a 8-6 job, so hopefully the ease of access to my pipes will aid in my endeavour to quit smoking cigarettes.

Once again, thanks so much for the replies!

I agree with Peter.

Nasal Snuff could help bridge that nicotine gap.

That and look for the harder hitting pipe blends such as ropes, twist or some of the dark flakes like Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake or Peterson's Irish Flake.

Another tobacco product that people use with great success for quitting cigarettes is Swedish Snus.

E-cigs provide nicotine. Tobacco provides other things such as MAOI's. Sometimes the lack of getting this can be as hard to deal with as nicotine withdrawal. IMHO

This new man needs a hook up with Muddler. Anybody know Muddler's whereabouts lately?

Growley said:
Justin,

Not to discourage you from pipes, because I think smoking a pipe "could" help. But the convenience of a cigarette is almost the polar opposite from smoking a pipe. I've seen people have good success switching from ciggs to E-ciggs. They're extremely convenient and very similar. I've heard people say that once you start E-ciggs and completely quit smoking cigarettes, at some point you almost get bored of the whole thing and just quit. I'm sure it's different for everybody, but you might give it a try.

Smoking a pipe might be nice to add back in once you're off cigarettes.

I don't speak from personal experience here...just hearsay.

This advice is spot on because it's exactly what happened to me!
I thought I was going to the grave with my cigs. I tried and tried and tried..... Until I experimented with ecigs and got the right mod and atomizer to produce good smoke. I am smoke free now. Then I felt that although I could live with the eccig, I was missing out on real tobacco. That's when I have up the pipe. E advice above could not be more spot on. Hang in there Justin.

Hello!

I'm a fellow sort of quitting cigs, and trying to move to pipe. Not as a cig replacement, but there are times I DO enjoy a smoke, and those times a pipe would be much better.

When I first started this, it was working great, I'd have a pipe to and from work, occasionally during a smoke break, and a couple at night. Not nearly as convenient. I think I"ll be taking people's advise and get an e-cig for the convenient smokes, and the pipe for the fun smokes.

I've used nasal snuff as well, and really enjoy a lot of them.

As for pipe blends that give plenty of N, I like various virginians (just look at reviews for a good virginian, I can't think of one to recommend right now), and Dunhill Royal Yacht.

I mostly smoke english blends, but mix blends a LOT.

Most of all, ENJOY!

-Alex