Proud / Uh-Oh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
Sitting outside yesterday with the family, puffing on some Ten Russians in a Pete author... I gesture at my son (six months) with my pipe... and he grabs the stem and starts trying to put it in his mouth!

In a way, I'm very proud to have a natural born briar man. In another way, I'm a little worried... not because of the smoking (I think a puff of Ten Russians would scare him off smoking for a little while!) but because I realize that I'm going to have to keep all my pipes out of reach unless I want them to become playthings. He's pretty damn close to walking and I fear for my briars.

Maybe I should get him a lucite-stemmed cheapie to play with? Then when he gets bored with it, I can put it aside for a later birthday and tell him this was his first pipe.

My boy, at first, was into my pipes. He once poured coffee into the bowls of all pipes he could reach on my desk. Now they're just another thing around the house so he's bored with them.

I've given him several trumpet mouthpieces too so he'll not be interested in the ones he should stay away from. Whatever is "ultra prohibited" is what they'll go after first given a chance....

Do they still sell those small, kid sized corn cobs? Probably not but I had those when I was young...they were cool..

They do make 'em, but I'd be worried about the choking. Good call on the cob itself, though. I think a full-sized cob may be the way to go... no heartbreak if it gets busted up.

Doc Manhattan":fltmmano said:
Sitting outside yesterday with the family, puffing on some Ten Russians in a Pete author... I gesture at my son (six months) with my pipe... and he grabs the stem and starts trying to put it in his mouth!

In a way, I'm very proud to have a natural born briar man. In another way, I'm a little worried... not because of the smoking (I think a puff of Ten Russians would scare him off smoking for a little while!) but because I realize that I'm going to have to keep all my pipes out of reach unless I want them to become playthings. He's pretty damn close to walking and I fear for my briars.

Maybe I should get him a lucite-stemmed cheapie to play with? Then when he gets bored with it, I can put it aside for a later birthday and tell him this was his first pipe.
I'm amazed that you have not engaged in the 5'-0" rule about household furnishings with your son. You have to wait till they are around 3/4 yo before they begin to not use the "mouth test" with EVERYTHING they encounter in thier surroundings. ANYTHING you do not want "mouth tested" goes ABOVE the 5-0" mark on the walls . EVERYTHING :p

My boy has tried to get in to my pipes and all of my tobaccos. I poured out an entire bowl of Hal 'o the Wind before I got off my butt and locked it with a child proof lock. He's such a pill, but he always grabs for my pipes when I smoke them while he's playing outside. But despite being a little bugger at times, I love him more than anything. :D

My 3 year old son appropriated an odd vest pocket pipe that had a broken tenon.
It still surfaces every now and then when I least expect it.
I still wouldn't be comfortable leaving vinyl records out, but he's gotten used to having guitars and amps around, and doesn't really mess with them, too much... 8)

I remember those days. Now the kids are older and they are still swiping the old mans pipes, lighters, and tobacco.

Bust of luck with the little one
Jim

Doc Manhattan":6etzl3zr said:
They do make 'em, but I'd be worried about the choking. Good call on the cob itself, though. I think a full-sized cob may be the way to go... no heartbreak if it gets busted up.
Sorry, didn't mean to say give him one to play with right now...just remembering they were pretty neat ..

My grandaughter desided she liked this pipe awhile back, so I give it to her, its hers along with a pipe holder of an old man smoking a cigar. I think the mustash is copying me.
IMG126.jpg

IMG042.jpg

She keeps it on my desk with mine. along with other odds and ends that she thinks need to stay on my desk with my stuff. Cluttered desk or not , wouldnt have it any other way.