PUBS - SMOKING PIPES

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig, I envy you folks that have access to terrific B&Ms and lounges that allow smoking.  AFAIK, we have only a few such places (B&Ms with lounges) in the whole state and the closest is more than an hour away.  In Maine, smoking is only authorized in those B&Ms with lounges and private clubs.

I do belong to a private club that used to allow smoking in the bar, but IAW state law, employees and members have to vote every three years to allow or prohibit smoking -- last year, the non-smokers won the vote, so smoking is now only allowed on the deck and in a converted storage shed {sigh}.

Moderator - Black Horse - like your attitude - I was the one with all caps - which I have used for over
40-years - however - changed because so many didn't like it - as you go thru life - everyone must make
adjustments - life goes on! When some of the brothers get a lot older - they'll understand!

Smoking a Ben Wade - PS Lux Bulls Eye Flake - really nice - 8º this morning as I sit in my office with
the sun slowly rising.

Make it a GREAT hump day!

God Bless All Our American Military World Wide - Especially Those Who Have Paid The Ultimate Price
For Our Freedom!

MR. MUNDAY -

Very pleased to have new members with a flexible attitude. No 'old dawgs' around here!

It's a balmy 20 F. here this a.m. and I just got in from re-hanginging the nectar after thawing it in the microwave for the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds.

Since it's clear as a bell the sun will boost the back deck's temp to a likely 60 F. for a few hours, so I can parka up and go out for a book and a bowl. Planning on some Hogwarts No. 7 Broken Flake or Dark Flake Scented (in honor of Natch).

I did some record online shopping this past month and binged to the tune of like $300 and when SWMBO paid bills last night I received only a slight chiding. WOW! Sweetness! Gonna be a great day!

Black Horse
See you are from Oregon City - my sis lives near Portland - Canby - beautiful little town.
Planning a trip this year to see her and the rest of her family. My brother-in-law has lived in
Oregon for over 20 years and never been fly fishing - or just fishing - how in the world can
someone live in such a beautiful state - with unbelievable fishing and fail to wet a hook?
I will be checking out pubs in Portland - the micro-brew capitol of the world.

11º in Edmond - wind chill is super cold - as I sit in my office smoking some Skandinavik Full
Aroma - thanks for the warm welcome to bob.

God Bless All Our American Military World Wide And Especially Those Who Have Paid The Ultimate
Price For Our Freedom!!

OKC Pipes and Pubs.
Hmmmmmmmmm just goes to showya' some folks can be adult and some folks can't.
Wish we had some of that here in the dearly beloved Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.
Just "one" place, please God?
My club away from home is "The Fire-House Smoke-Shop". Jack the owner bought it some years ago. Originally it was a Horse drawn 'Fire Barn' from the Fall River "Lizzie Borden" days. Then a bunch of Union Army vets bought it up and it became the GAR Veterans Club [righteous kitchen too] and stayed that way until 1970 when it closed its doors for the last time. Jack bought it up in 1990. The "nose" that hits you when you walk in is heavenly especially if there is some Dark English fired up. He has an absolutely beautiful walk-in Cigar humidor with just about everything under the sun there, and a really tastefully made compartmented Victorian "Wall" humidor with cubbies to let. There is Cigar club that meets regularly . Off the front, in a Victorian bay window setting opening view onto the sidewalk and street is the magazine and reading room, easy chairs, convenient ash trays, a 60" wall screen tele. with either Lou Dobbs and Business Report or MeTV with Gunsmoke, Bonanza, or I love Lucy rerun marathons going. The patron can buy himself a beautiful heavy porcelained coffee mug and join the "Mess" if he so desires. "Wyatt" [for Earp not the Painter] will be there to greet you, a friendly Black Cocker Spaniel that actually isn't neurotic. Conduct yourself as a gentleman and Jack is more than happy to have one sample a bowl of his different offerings from McClellands. I could not begin to make this up; this is a Gentleman's Club in the most positive sense of the word. If one is hungry they can walk around the corner to the Saint James Irish Pub and order up an authentic Full Irish Breakfast [with brown bread that would sharpen your teeth] or Pub Dinner, bangers, mash, cabbage, and corned beef with a pint poured properly; Jack owns the Saint James. Finish up, go back to 'FireHouse' and light up a bowl and enjoy the winter afternoon's late sun in the Reading Room wondering: "...what do the poor people do?!....Oh! we are the Poor people?!...."

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SempeFi
ChiefBull

PS "OKC"? those were the initial of USS Oklahoma City CLG-5; those of us who loved here we just called her "...OkaySee?..."
We made lots of bad guys die and go away in VietNam, "...warn't 'shamed of it neither???yawl!...."

ChiefBull":whoam4zl said:
OKC Pipes and Pubs.
Hmmmmmmmmm just goes to showya' some folks can be adult and some folks can't.
Wish we had some of that here in the dearly beloved Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.
Just "one" place, please God?
My club away from home is "The Fire-House Smoke-Shop".  Jack the owner bought it some years ago.  Originally it was a Horse drawn 'Fire Barn' from the Fall River "Lizzie Borden" days.  Then a bunch of Union Army vets bought it up and it became the GAR Veterans Club [righteous kitchen too] and stayed that way until 1970 when it closed its doors for the last time.  Jack bought it up in 1990.  The "nose" that hits you when you walk in is heavenly especially if there is some Dark English fired up.  He has an absolutely beautiful walk-in Cigar humidor with just about everything under the sun there, and a really tastefully made compartmented Victorian "Wall" humidor with cubbies to let.  There is  Cigar club that meets regularly .  Off the front, in a Victorian bay window setting opening view onto the sidewalk and street is the magazine and reading room, easy chairs, convenient ash trays, a 60" wall  screen tele. with either Lou Dobbs and Business Report or MeTV with Gunsmoke, Bonanza, or I love Lucy rerun marathons going.  The patron can buy himself a beautiful heavy porcelained coffee mug and join the "Mess" if he so desires.  "Wyatt" [for Earp not the Painter] will be there to greet you, a friendly Black Cocker Spaniel that actually isn't neurotic.  Conduct yourself as a gentleman and Jack is more than happy to have one sample a bowl of his different offerings from McClellands.  I could not begin to make this up; this is a Gentleman's Club in the most positive sense of the word.  If one is hungry they can walk around the corner to the Saint James Irish Pub  and order up an authentic Full Irish Breakfast [with brown bread that would sharpen your teeth] or Pub Dinner, bangers, mash, cabbage, and corned beef with a pint poured properly; Jack owns the Saint James.  Finish up, go back to 'FireHouse' and light up a bowl and enjoy the winter afternoon's late sun in the Reading Room wondering: "...what do the poor people do?!....Oh! we are the Poor people?!...."

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SempeFi
ChiefBull

PS "OKC"? those were the initial of USS Oklahoma City CLG-5; those of us who loved here we just called her "...OkaySee?..."
We made lots of bad guys die and go away in VietNam, "...warn't 'shamed of it neither???yawl!...."

You paint a very pleasant and welcoming picture of your local, Chief. Wish I could go there and share a bowl with you right now. Kudos to you that you still have places like that. I'm now officially envious!

:bom: 

Cheers,

RR

Dragonslayer":uod6g35u said:
In Pennsylvania they've set a criteria for certain bars to allow smoking. My wife works at one and business took a big jump because of it. I've not been to many of these smoking bars but all have been light cigars only and forget pipes. I'm not a drinker so bars are not my thing.

There's a number of high end cigar/pipe stores opening with décor nicer than most bars, not to mention the quality of patrons. Hated by 99.99% of the people and we still find ways to enjoy our tobacco. There's many here in Pittsburgh and one just opened 5 miles away from me that's amazing, blowing away any bar I've patronized in the last 30 years. It's also stocked with the finest of spirits in private boxes that are enjoyed free to friends gathering for the social night out. We adapt and change because we love our pipes!

:cheers:

Craig
What are the criteria? I love basically across the street from a bar that you can smoke anything in. It's a dive bar, not a cigar bar or anything. If I went out, it'd be a frequent stop, but I brew my own, so I drink at home.

Folks with smoking pubs like Mike's better relish and use them with great frequency, they are a dying and rare occurrence. It sounds like Mike certainly uses his local.

We have no such options in Maryland. Only outdoor smoking is available to us. Nearby WV still has a bit of personal freedoms, but I don't know of a real smoking pub in my vicinity.

Welcome to the forum Mike!

riff raff":qy88llwz said:
Folks with smoking pubs like Mike's better relish and use them with great frequency, they are a dying and rare occurrence.    It sounds like Mike certainly uses his local.  

We have no such options in Maryland.  Only outdoor smoking is available to us.  Nearby WV still has a bit of personal freedoms, but I don't know of a real smoking pub in my vicinity.  

Welcome to the forum Mike!
Sadly, I'm in the same boat here in Illinois. I believe the state's dispensation still allows you to smoke in a business if more than X% of their income comes from selling tobacco. Sadly, the smoke shops around here don't even qualify, as they are primarily dedicated to "alternative" smoking. What I wouldn't give for a friendly cigar bar, or top-drawer brick and mortar in town.