Punching holes in leather for sewing???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Puros,

When I've done leather working, I've used all the above mentioned which worked pretty well, though you'll need a decently thick chunk of flat wood to hammer against. The other method used which is quite quick was a hand driven drill and drill bit to make the required holes, again a sturdy flat piece of wood helps.

Good luck with your holsters. Might be a good idea to mock one up in canvas before cutting your leather too.

Cheers

Tim

A battery operated hand drill and a 1/16" drill bit works great, but you have to be careful to keep your holes perfectly vertical or your stitching ends up slanted.

A drill press works even better.

And Timbo is right. You need a piece of backing wood.

Todd

I need to get some real tools but.. Here's what I can do with a pocket knife, some waxed thread, and a couple needles... Lol.
It entertained me for a little while, I'll call it a win.

puros_bran said:
I need to get some real tools but.. Here's what I can do with a pocket knife, some waxed thread, and a couple needles... Lol.  
It entertained me for a little while, I'll call it a win.

Impressed the hell out of me :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Is that a CVA .32 with the swivel barrel? Got one in all brass. Nice holster by the way.

puros_bran":lkguby61 said:
Long long long story that involves two guns a gangster and a hillbilly
Sounds like the plot line of a John Ford movie.

I do a lot of trading. One of the sucker sides of being on a non-inflation adjusted fixed income.

I started another. I still need to edge, sand, mold, and burnish but this is as far as I can get until I get some proper tools.. And it's a 'concealed' holster so I guess function over form.. Consider it the corn cob of the holster world? Lol. That's a S&W Bodyguard 380 if curious.

puros_bran":bcnne0x0 said:
I started another.  I still need to edge, sand, mold, and burnish but this is as far as I can get until I get some proper tools.. And it's a 'concealed' holster so I guess function over form.. Consider it the corn cob of the holster world?  Lol.      That's a S&W Bodyguard 380 if curious.

I just bought one of those for my collection! Nice holster for it :)

I need to buy a holster for mine soon. Keep up the good work though!

When I use leather of my tampers, to put the carriage bolt through, I just use a razor and cut an X. But that doesn't look like it's what you need for what you are using the leather for.

I need a diamond shaped awl, a edger, a groover, and something to burnishthe edge with. Probably some actual leather needles would be nice and I want to eventually get fish scale and/or basket weave punches... Anyway, in due time.

I know what I've done is crude and very elementary but I've enjoyed myself and I'm making things that are useful.

The Bodyguard 380 is the second best pocket pistol I've ever fired. I like the Sig 238 better but at almost twice the cost I can't justify it.
The BG380 is three times the shooter over the Ruger LCP.
As part of my trade I received 200rounds of ammo, 100 FMJ (more like semi wadcutter) 50 lead hollow points, and 50 Hornady Zmax. I could have shot all of them on Day 1. Day 1 with the LCP left me thinking I'd majorly screwed up by the end of the first magazine.

Holster number 3

Just screwing with you.. A few weeks back on my birthday the Mrs and Kids pulled a rabbit out of the hat and somehow managed to hit a grandslam home run, get drafted into the NFL and chuck a touchdown, then get drafted into the NBA and shoot a clutch buzzer beater half court 3 pointer for the win. We were dead broke, my insurance didn't come in and we literally had $3.84 in the bank. Low and behold her they come marching in with an order conformation from simplyrugged.com

Well here it is 2-3 weeks later, as advertised, and I check the email to see if he's created a shipping label yet... Yup, in fact he mailed it Thursday, it's been in the mail box since Saturday morning.. I literally hobbled out of the house, walker and car keys.. Drove down to the mail box and retrieved my holster at 00:30. Lol. Can you imagine the look of surprise in "I'm to drunk to drive but I have to get home so I can sleep a few hours before work" eyes when he comes around the corner and sees silky pj bottoms, a Hawaiin shirt, and a walker standing at the mailbox? I bet he wondered if he needed one more drink or one less drink. Lol. Anyway, simplyrugged.com is the stuff.