Purchased my first vintage pipe, it arrived today. What do yous think, it's it perhaps a Peterson briar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6323

Reaction score
I didn't want to spend to much money on my first pipe purchase, so I acquired this one 2nd hand at a good price. It says reject made in the rep of Ireland. Do you think with the design of it etc, that it could possibly be an old Peterson reject pipe? I'm not sure of the reason as to why it was classed as reject, but it looks good, other than a few minor scratches on the bowl. What do you guys think? I'm new to all of this. It looks. It looks like it was well used, so it must have been working well despite it being classed as a reject. I will try and restore it regardless and show the end results. 😁

I didn't want to spend to much money on my first pipe purchase, so I acquired this one 2nd hand at a good price. It says reject made in the rep of Ireland. Do you think with the design of it etc, that it could possibly be an old Peterson reject pipe? I'm not sure of the reason as to why it was classed as reject, but it looks good, other than a few minor scratches on the bowl. What do you guys think? I'm new to all of this. It looks. It looks like it was well used, so it must have been working well despite it being classed as a reject. I will try and restore it regardless and show the end results. 😁
Photos?

Attachments

• PXL_20240304_144136017.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240304_144136017.MP.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240304_144204456.jpg
    PXL_20240304_144204456.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240304_144210360.jpg
    PXL_20240304_144210360.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240304_144213835.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240304_144213835.MP.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Peterson seconds were once stamped "reject." If I recall what I've read correctly, that stopped before WWII. For what it's worth, rejects and seconds from that time period are often better quality briar than what are sold as firsts today.

If there are Hallmarks on the silver band, you can use them to identify the year of manufacture of the pipe.

...and yes, that is a Peterson.

It likely has one or two sand pits or small fills, which at the time would cause it to be rejected.

Edit: the grain on that pipe is superb. Now you just need to pick up a Kleen Reem off eBay and get the pipe back to shipshape and smoking.

It is a Republic Era Peterson, which makes if from approximately 1950 forward. The name Reject places it early in the Republic Era. Many times a Peterson destined for a silver mount had the silver replaced by nickel when it became a second.
Regardless, the pipe is nice and once cleaned up should become a wonderful smoker.
Enjoy.

A very nice find Granny, a Republic era Pete with beaut grain. You scored there even if it is stamped reject...