Purging?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeDreams

Reaction score
Some cigar smokers blow through their cigars to clear tar/moisture out and improve the taste of their cigars. Does anyone do this with their pipes? I was smoking some VA earlier and it was gurgling a lot, so I tried the ol' purge and it immediately got rid of the gurgle (and I could've sworn I saw steam rising out of the bowl).

I do, occasionally, to stoke the ember if it feels like it's dying out.

Cheers Harlock, good to know I'm not alone! I also do it with cigars to check to see if they're burning evenly and I've done it with my pipe for the same reason.

I think I do this a lot just from normal exhalation while clenching my pipes. Smoke always gets blown out the bowl. Every once in a while I say "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers", and that helps.

Steve

sstodvictory":vzpwahsy said:
I think I do this a lot just from normal exhalation while clenching my pipes. Smoke always gets blown out the bowl. Every once in a while I say "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers", and that helps.

Steve
I guess if you're a clencher some degree of exhalation through the stem is unavoidable. The "Peter Piper" thing is pretty quirky!

I was smoking some VA earlier and it was gurgling a lot, so I tried the ol' purge and it immediately got rid of the gurgle

Yep, works great doesn't it? :cheers:

Yes it does! Didn't know if it was an accepted technique in the pipe smoking community. Cigar smokers talk about it pretty often.--it seems some techniques are transferable. :)

Well, next time I experience the dreaded gurgle, I'll have to give the "purge" a try.

ReadIng this and thinking back to my first pipe days I realize I had it backwards. When I would get gurgle that I couldn't get rid of I'd take a very short, but hard puff and spit out the horrendous concentration of hot ashy liquid. It was terrible but it worked