purpose of pipe bowl width and depth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
Pipes come in various sizes (obviously). Some have bowls that are wide and some have bowls that are narrow. Is there a reason why pipes have bowls with different size widths (inner diameter)? Do certain tobaccos smoke better in a wider or narrower bowl?

I reckon some of it relates to the tobacco traditions in countries of origin - Danish tobacco tended to be milder in nicotine than English, for example, so Danish pipes are often far larger than the archetype English pipes.

A lot of people find that flake tobaccos smoke well in slightly narrower bowls, say just around or under 3/4" wide, and maybe 1" or more in depth. A smaller bowl will muddle flavors less as well, so if you are seeking to really taste a subtle virginia, a small bowl is probably a better choice than a big one.

On the other end of the spectrum, a really large pipe can smoke in a way that I've never experienced with a really small pipe. They sort of simmer at a lukewarm heat, and offer an effortless smoke for a period of over an hour, with a real flavor concentration at the end of the bowl (which some guys don't like and some guys savor).

Chamber shape has an effect as well, some folks will maintain that a flat bottom is better for flakes, some figure that a conical chamber will make the tobacco taste better at the bottom etc. I don't find it THAT big of a factor, though the amount of tobacco you can have lit in a really wide bowl may provide more smoke, for better or worse.

So as usual, it's a totally personal thing, and most of us just find happy combinations of pipe and tobacco that work well for us (basically through trial and error). Or you can load up that 3" chimney with 1792 and smoke until you see God. It's up to you.

A lot has to do with personal preferences...hand size, smoking style, current fads, etc. As Sasquatch said, through trial and error you'll find the combination that works best for you.

Good luck,
Jim