Putting Connecticut Yankee another way..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Ok...so I've had some time to get myself in a place to offer taste\smoking impressions of ConYan, so here goes:

Having been to the middle East I have a good understanding of what dry is and this was shipped to me very Saudi Arabia-ish..now I think that is a P&C thing because the LJ Heart Burley I ordered at the same time was the same way. In my dad's words it was "drier than a popcorn fart"..but I digest...

Given a tad bit of rehydration, this is almost at perfect. Still burns a tad quick which is a shame because it is SO TASTY!

Bag aroma is solid burley with no pretense of anything sickly or syrupy. THIS is tobacco. There was some rough cut, chopped up tans and browns giving it a bright look..easy as pie to load and pack..

Charring light seemed to set off the nutty burley right away and it reminded me of when I first picked up the pipe. It was a brand new taste...

By quarter bowl I could taste the cocoa essence on the back of my palate but the up front taste seemes.like citrus! Now THAT is neat! Around half-way something else crept in to the flavor mix..what is that?!? Ahh, pecan...roasted pecans...very nice indeed.

Tons of smoke and never needed a second match, my only issue is that it ended too soon from the moisture issue. I WILL purchase again and do hope our newly created blenders will have a crack at another blend soon ! Good work gents!

While still laughing at the "popcorn fart" reference (haven't heard that one before), nice review.

8)

You make me want to order.

But truly I'm having a hard time doing so as I already have so many favorites. I want to keep smoking them. I have a rule that I don't open anything new, except of course opening another tin of my favorites, until I close out a tin. But as I have many in my inventory that I've opened and then put away in jars for safekeeping, they come first. Then I'm sitting on a lot of what look to be great VAs from the GLP Fog City that are, shall we say, aging gracefully.

Right now I really want to order a pound or three of Bracken Flake, another favorite. So ordering tobaccos that I would really like to try becomes a distant possibility.

Thanks Kyle! Dad had a way with words...

A_b - I guess I' m fortunate in that I'm a newb and still in that "try everything" phase, in fact I've only found myself needing to reorder a couple of blends so far because they were THAT good..oh well, that's part of our fun I suppose.

Although you lack firm opinions about what you like and what you don't, as long as you give a blend an honest try, that's what you should do, to my way of thinking. You may find that as your palate develops, a blend that tasted one way tastes another way 6-12 months down the road. That is to say that you may have to revise your opinions. I dunno; being in the newb stage has its frustrations, but as you say it has great opportunities as you are out the taste the best of the best pipe tobacco has to offer, according to your emerging palate.

So go for it! That's great! TobaccoReviews can be your friend in this, but it can also be frustrating as you try to winnow out those opinions you can trust. Now, after some years reading it, I look at the blend average stars, and as I read through those reviews that give it a star and claim that the blend is total garbage, that it tastes like rubber or the lining of his grandmother's shoes, I discount them. I look instead for the nuanced perception of someone who has an accurate palate. Sometimes these reviews can be long. I can just tell when the guy is either spouting bullshit or has something real to say.

The way I narrow down reviews is:

-I throw out any reviews that are over the top good or bad unless there is a huge pattern of the same feedback.

-I toss out any reviews that are from someone who is reviewing a type of baccy that he states in the review he already hates..."I loathe aromatics so I tried this one and yuck..." :roll:

-I then look for a pattern in what folks are saying from the remaining reviews.

mike_68":sbng7cz2 said:
I guess I' m fortunate in that I'm a newb and still in that "try everything" phase, in fact I've only found myself needing to reorder a couple of blends so far because they were THAT good..oh well, that's part of our fun I suppose.
Preach on, sir. 8) We have years of experimenting to look forward to, and years of being solid in our decisions to rely upon after that. We all win.

Storm_Crow":yzwixmni said:
The way I narrow down reviews is:

-I throw out any reviews that are over the top good or bad unless there is a huge pattern of the same feedback.

-I toss out any reviews that are from someone who is reviewing a type of baccy that he states in the review he already hates..."I loathe aromatics so I tried this one and yuck..." :roll:

-I then look for a pattern in what folks are saying from the remaining reviews.
I'm also a fan of the "50/50" review method, which has two angles:

50/50 Method A: You take any product at any rating, choose only the two star (or whatever system) or "mediocre" notions and compare them. If they all say the same thing, it's likely mediocre. If they all are wildly different on why they are only a "50/50," it's probably worth trying. It works because I like different things, usually, than most folks.

50/50 Method B: You take only the mediocre overall rating product (2.5 stars, 2 stars, whatever the halfway point is) and look at only the top ratings and bottom ratings. If folks love and hate the "50/50 overall" rating product for the same reasons, it's probably worth trying, wherein if people are all over the board, it's probably a random crapshoot if it'd be worth it.

It probably sounds like I'm insane in this regard (which is likely, too) but what I'm looking for is consistency, because most of the time, people are usually full of shit, whether they mean well or not.

8)

Because most of the time, people are usually full of shit, whether they mean well or not.

8)
NOW who's doing the preachin'? Preach on brother..

mike_68":9mu5i4ra said:
Because most of the time, people are usually full of shit, whether they mean well or not.

8)
NOW who's doing the preachin'? Preach on brother..
After all of that, I figured at least someone would have said yours truly was full of shit--I'm surprised and disappointed. :lol:

8)

Well Kyle, I don't know you well but..."You're full of $hite..".

Hope I helped, have a good day! :lol: