Qestion about Credit Cards

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
I was at the Country Squire the other day and I asked JD why they didn't do more online sales. He said it was because the credit card companies won't take tobacco sellers because of not being able to determine someone's age. How do the other online sites get around this?

As I understand it, the problem lies with the processor and not the cc company. CC cannot determine age, all some companies can do is make you check a box stating you are of legal age.

Here is a recent thread discussing this issue: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19666-credit-cards-and-tobacco

If this were a real problem, they would do the same as alcohol sales and have the delivery company to see an id when turning the goods over. None of the carriers would risk the bad publicity /fines/hassle of not getting a valid id for such a minor part of their business, much less likely than a Mom&Pop storefront that needs every walk in.

This is what I understand.

You must be 18 years old to be in possession of a "credit card." Incidentally, you also must be 18 to purchase tobacco products. Debit cards, and those fill-your-own "cash cards," can be held in the name of someone under 18, but require parental sign-off to use these non credit cards on credit card networks, which online retailers do not allow "cash cards" or debit cards (unless they're on a Visa/MC/AmEx network). If someone under 18 uses the credit card (or similar device) of another person, like a parent, to buy copious amounts of pipe tobacco (which, happens all the time... :roll: ) it constitutes fraud, and therefore the problem lies more in line then with identity theft, and to boot, someone under 18, which becomes the responsibility of the parents. It isn't something an online retailer can be nailed for criminally, unless a local/state law says otherwise (which I am not aware of any). That's why the check-boxes saying "By clicking I certify I am over the age of 18" and whatnot does is adds a layer of "good faith" to the intentions of the seller, not the buyer in case said parent decides to come back and sue. You know how it works: parents, not doing their job, want to blame it on someone else, and will find a reason. So the age "verification" has been, for years, with credit cards automatically assuming the user is 18 years or older--merely by use of the credit card and sales system, be it phone, or Internet.

The seller may have had a scare, a threat of legal action, some pressure from local anti-tobacco folks, or simply didn't want the cost of doing an online business and having to pay for separate credit card machine equipment (which isn't cheap).

8)

Thanks guys. This is leading me to local processors that I'm going to meet with and find out what the hubbub is all about. Someone at work brought up the having to be 18 to get a credit card also which I had just never thought about. I'll let you know what I find out.

I've been taken for a ride for the second time in two months.

First of all some money was taken out of my cheque account by using my debit card number. I only use this card to draw cash from atm's. The transaction was in US dollars by someone in the USA. I can't imagine how they got hold of this card's number. The bank refunded my R2,700.00 which went awol out of my account.

Today my bank informed me that $160.00 (R1,395.00) was taken out of one of my credit cards, again by someone in the USA. Now this card I use to pay for tobacco and pipes which I buy form e-tailers in the US. I always thought it was safe to give my number to e-tailers whom I've dealt with numbers of times.

I'm now going to close my credit card account and start from scratch. As for more purchases from the US I will only buy from e-tailers who use PayPal.

This is very bad, it is.

SpeedyPete - I don't know if NetSpend is an option for you. That's what I use. I just load up what I need for the moment. If someone tries to make a purchase they have about a 5 minute window of opportunity with me and then the money is gone.

When it comes to money, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Break-ins, bank hacking, debit card number stealing, it really doesn't matter. You do the best you can with calculated risk. Last thing I want to worry about is sitting on my mountain of money with a shotgun as a last resort. :lol:

Come to think of it, might as well see if that's an option when I have a mountain of money.

8)
baboons & fig trees

Typically when it is time to make a purchase the CC# is taken by the processor directly. This makes PCI compliance easy for mom and pop online stores. You will find is the when it is time to enter in your CC# you are directed to the processor website and then when complete redirected back to the E-tailer.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/