quality chronometer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Okay. We've got good discussion here on quality blades, smokable briar, as well as firearms and single malt scotch. Well, how about precision time pieces? I am SICK of buying a $50 watch year after year after year. My fiancée informs me that I need a watch to time contractions with, as we are expecting... So, after my last $50 Timex fiasco, I am ready to drop some coin on a sweet watch, preferably Swiss, and NEVER buy another watch again. I have seen some online stores that offer (supposedly) $1,000 watches at $200 to $300... I am looking for a sharp time piece with an aluminum/metal band, an analog face (of course) and maybe titanium, perhaps a boron/ceramic composite construction.... okay, only kidding there... but, basically, I am looking for the last watch I will ever buy, and I am looking for suggestions. If any of the Brethren can direct me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Trout Bitch

Personally, I prefer the Timex Digital Sport watches. They are fairly cheap and very reliable. I have worn one for over 10 years and the only fault seems to be that about every 3 years the battery dies.

You might want to check John Patton's site, www.pufferspipes.com, he carries several nice wristwatches and pocket watches at very reasonable pricing. I don't know the story behind his watches, but I am familiar with his reputation as an honorable etailer.

He also has some fine pipes and his custom blends are available through 4Noggins.com.
shootist51

Trout Bum":sf1qjwh8 said:
I am SICK of buying a $50 watch year after year after year.
I reached that same point in the spring of 1978---shooting a lot of high-recoil handguns killed quite a few cheapie watches---and bought the only truly durable watch that was generally available at the time. A Rolex. I changed my mind at the last minute from a Submariner model to an (original design) Explorer II, which turned out to have been a great stroke of luck. Submariners are common today because they've been in continuous production for decades. The first version Explorer II's were a sales disaster, though, so hardly any were made... but one of the few that was produced ended up in the hands of Steve McQueen, and for some reason became identified with him. (Maybe shown in a movie close-up or something). Anyway, an "Orange Hand Steve McQueen" Rolex is now one of the most collectible sport watches ever made. Even fairly beat up ones bring several thousand dollars on Ebay. :cheers:

All this was well before Rolex put on snooty airs of exclusivity, btw. They just marketed ruggedness and the "certified chonometer" thing. The stainless models sold for around $400 back then, so were hardly a status symbol.

Turned out to have been a great choice. It still runs perfectly, has never broken down, and cost $13.75 per year. :lol: Factor in what I could Ebay it for, and it's been better than free... I'll have had 31 years of use and made money while enjoying it. In short, your reasoning is sound, Mr. Bum. Watches are definitely one of those items where the adage, "Buy top quality and cry only once" applies.

LL":tno2gw5k said:
Trout Bum":tno2gw5k said:
I am SICK of buying a $50 watch year after year after year.
I reached that same point in the spring of 1978---shooting a lot of high-recoil handguns killed quite a few cheapie watches---and bought the only truly durable watch that was generally available at the time. A Rolex. I changed my mind at the last minute from a Submariner model to an (original design) Explorer II, which turned out to have been a great stroke of luck. Submariners are common today because they've been in continuous production for decades. The first version Explorer II's were a sales disaster, though, so hardly any were made... but one of the few that was produced ended up in the hands of Steve McQueen, and for some reason became identified with him. (Maybe shown in a movie close-up or something). Anyway, an "Orange Hand Steve McQueen" Rolex is now one of the most collectible sport watches ever made. Even fairly beat up ones bring several thousand dollars on Ebay. :cheers:

All this was well before Rolex put on snooty airs of exclusivity, btw. They just marketed ruggedness and the "certified chonometer" thing. The stainless models sold for around $400 back then, so were hardly a status symbol.

Turned out to have been a great choice. It still runs perfectly, has never broken down, and cost $13.75 per year. :lol: Factor in what I could Ebay it for, and it's been better than free... I'll have had 31 years of use and made money while enjoying it. In short, your reasoning is sound, Mr. Bum. Watches are definitely one of those items where the adage, "Buy top quality and cry only once" applies.

I agree.....Rolex....for a lifetime. Swiss watch making at it finest. May cost a lot up front but will even out over a lifetime of cheaper watches.

Oh yes, buy your Rolex from a jeweler to ensure service and authenicity.

I'm glad you brought this up. I've worn Timex (Iron Man Triatholon) for years, but have not had the 10 years of service from them.

My previous model, the plastic band busted and I was informed that there was no way to change it. So it is a throw away watch.

The one I have now is a silver stainless band and going on a year, but the count down timer no longer works (I use it for timing the rest between sets for maximum intensity).

Also, I was trying to set the alarm and the set button no longer works. For someone that is supposed to be old-fashioned, I prefer digital, but am not opposed to analog.

I know I can't afford a Rolex. Anyone have any experience with Swiss Army watches. I know I've seen them in jewelers for 400ish, and I have seen a few on e-bay even cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Or just spend another 50-60 on another Timex.

That's right up my alley. I've had a Swiss Army Ambassador for 5 years. It's an automatic and cost about $500 new. It's a nice choice and no problems.

Most Swiss manufacturers that cost less than maybe $1500 and use an automatic movement will use the same one, ETA 2824. It's reliable. So when comparing brands, see if they use the same movement.
You want one with a Sapphire Crystal, the most scratch resistant.
Good luck.

I love mechanic watches and two years ago I've had your same problem, with one more restriction- I couldn't spend more than $200. So I did some reading on web forums etc. and I went for a Seiko 5 sports. Oh my god is it a great watch! I highly recommend it. It has great aesthetics, it's very sturdy and extremely precise. As far as I know it is entirely made in the Seiko factory in Japan so it doesn't have an ETA mechanism, it has a Seiko's original one instead and it works perfectly. It cost me about $150 in a shop, I could've bought it cheaper online but I really wanted to have the watch buying experience 8) So I'd recommend you look at Seikos, mine is not a chronometer but if you add about $50 you can get one of their chronos and if should be a great buy. I'm no expert, just my two cents :D

I have a Swatch watch that I purchased while I was in Italy, and it's been great. Not too expensive, but they sure look sharp.

I've been a Seiko and Casio fan for lots of years, decent price, decent watch, very accurate, no complaints.

Thanks for the input, gents! Will report back when I make a decision...

Just make sure your choice is waterproof and doesn't scare the trout :p

seiko for 10 years now,,,,2 batteries,,,waterPROOF tested,,,my 2 cents

mark":9quy7crh said:
seiko for 10 years now,,,,2 batteries,,,waterPROOF tested,,,my 2 cents
When I served in S.E Asia 40 yr's ago the Seiko watch was often sold out in the PX since it
was the only one that would stand up to the pounding of an M-16 or BAR in combat.

I had a Seiko but bought a Rolex in Japan on my way home that I still wear.

LL":l2zo1w8x said:
I'd say WOW as in I don't know how someone purchases a watch for a price like that, however, Guy Wallace (of Affordable Pipes.com) who is an avid timepiece collector showed me links to watches ranging (are you sitting down?)

$150k - $750k !!! Top 10 World's Most Expensive Watches in 2009

I'm STILL trying to find my lower jaw :lol:

Nice looking Rolex BTW

My wife bought me a nice Raymond Weil as our wedding gift that I wear every single day.

That was 8 years ago, and I've changed the battery once. That watch has been up a few mountains, fishing, shooting, and through the delivery of two kids. And it is a dress watch.

Great timepiece.

Every man needs a good watch. Get one.

kilted1":hitjbfme said:
I'd say WOW as in I don't know how someone purchases a watch for a price like that, however, Guy Wallace (of Affordable Pipes.com) who is an avid timepiece collector showed me links to watches ranging (are you sitting down?)

$150k - $750k !!! Top 10 World's Most Expensive Watches in 2009

I'm STILL trying to find my lower jaw :lol:
Indeed. Hard to imagine, but pipes are near the BOTTOM of collectables in value. The most expensive pipe ever sold wouldn't pay the tax on the listing fee for a fine painting or a choice classic car, and barely enters the lowest price band of collectable watches.

I've never decided if such things are exciting or disgusting. Some of both, I guess.

I've been collecting watches since I was a teenager. I've got a few old Movados, some stunning pocket watches, an original Alain Silberstein Chronometer and my personal fav, this Rolex Date Just with 24K gold bezel and jubilee band.

I bought this watch new when I was 21 years old and still love it today! It was the smartest purchase I ever made save a pair of Tiffany & Co cufflinks which have also served me very well...

Rolexdatejust002.jpg