Quality over Quantity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quality is so much just where you find it. I've had and given away or traded away a number of "good" pipes over 40 years. They just weren't magic.

Kept ? Old group 3-4 billiards & bulldogs from lunchbox outfits like Peterson, Loewe, Bewlay, Parker and maker's seconds (Drury Lane, "Made in Denmark"). These are dynamite pipes. Their ages run from somewhere around 30 to around 75 years. With fine-tuned stems/airways by LL, they just dance with the tobaccos they're dedicated to (FVF & Embarcadero).

If you're a guitar player, would you rather have a nice new Martin or the same model from the 1930-40 era ? New Les Paul or a '59 ? Same with pipes, IMHO.

The last two I'd ever part with might be "worth" $25 together -- both old Pete bulldogs that nobody'd look at twice.

Quality is where you find it.

:face:

Yak":cemtxs46 said:
Quality is so much just where you find it. I've had and given away or traded away a number of "good" pipes over 40 years. They just weren't magic.

Kept ? Old group 3-4 billiards & bulldogs from lunchbox outfits like Peterson, Loewe, Bewlay, Parker and maker's seconds (Drury Lane, "Made in Denmark"). These are dynamite pipes. Their ages run from somewhere around 30 to around 75 years. With fine-tuned stems/airways by LL, they just dance with the tobaccos they're dedicated to (FVF & Embarcadero).

If you're a guitar player, would you rather have a nice new Martin or the same model from the 1930-40 era ? New Les Paul or a '59 ? Same with pipes, IMHO.

The last two I'd ever part with might be "worth" $25 together -- both old Pete bulldogs that nobody'd look at twice.

Agree 100%

Unless what flips your switch is collecting "art pipes" made by artist-carvers, where the point seems to be gathering specimens of the most difficult-to-make shapes as possible that still retain (some) functionality, Good Pipes are wherever you find them.

I understand price doesn't always represent quality, but by keeping my eye on higher end pipes I will purchase fewer pipes. In the past couple months I have only bought one new pipe, and have passed up countless at estate sales. And yes, I tend to gravitate towards "art" pipes, especially big chunky ones with saddle bits. I'm also a sucker for "limited edition" items. :D The reviews I've read about Rich Lewis' pipes have been very good, and one of my friends has a Rich Lewis pipe and claims it is the best he owns. So I'm pretty confident in my purchase.

LL":d04xrpgp said:
Yak":d04xrpgp said:

Agree 100%

Unless what flips your switch is collecting "art pipes" made by artist-carvers, where the point seems to be gathering specimens of the most difficult-to-make shapes as possible that still retain (some) functionality, Good Pipes are wherever you find them.
Ditto Gents!

Interesting Yak, you seem to be referring to old wood here!
I'm smoking a 60's GBD billiard right now and man is it quality!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A new pipe (like made inside the last 20 years or so), IMO, is not unlike a new pair of leather shoes. Comfortable enough to not be distracting, but stiff -- not comparable to a pair you've worn for years.

There are pipes that taste pretty good new -- Peterson (sans interior stain if that's present), Castello & Cavicchi stick out from a very limited sampling base. But when I pick up an old briar (not a cliche for no reason) that's made the pilgrimage to North Dakota and has long been dedicated to the backy that suits it, I know going in that if the smoke that follows is not a positively brilliant one (to borrow Piet's term), the fault is on my end.

Why it is I don't know, but pipes, violins and accoustic guitars all seem to start coming into their own after around 30-40 years of use. They just open up and bloom.

Yak":pjx7q5vf said:
A new pipe (like made inside the last 20 years or so), IMO, is not unlike a new pair of leather shoes. Comfortable enough to not be distracting, but stiff -- not comparable to a pair you've worn for years.

There are pipes that taste pretty good new -- Peterson (sans interior stain if that's present), Castello & Cavicchi stick out from a very limited sampling base. But when I pick up an old briar (not a cliche for no reason) that's made the pilgrimage to North Dakota and has long been dedicated to the backy that suits it, I know going in that if the smoke that follows is not a positively brilliant one (to borrow Piet's term), the fault is on my end.

Why it is I don't know, but pipes, violins and accoustic guitars all seem to start coming into their own after around 30-40 years of use. They just open up and bloom.

Agreed brother 10000000000000%
Well said Yak!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: