Question about age and different tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip48

Reaction score
Ok is it just the Orientals that age and give off the fruit smell and taste? I as because I have one that is VA/Per and has Orientals in it and it's 3 years old and smells great and way different. Then I opened a tin of St. James Woods that is 9 years old and doesn't have that same smell, don't get me wrong it's nice, but just doesn't have that smell of the first one.

Skip

Without addressing any particular blends, it is my understanding that the sugar content of Virginias allows them to "ferment" as they age. With other blends, they age and the flavors "marry".

That should be sufficiently vague enough for anyone :lol!:

Initially I was going to reply that while Oriental tobaccos are said to be Virginia varietals they don't seem to develop with aging by themselves. However, you provoked my curiosity to the point I went through the cellar sniffing the several different Oriental blenders on hand despite my reluctance to open sealed jars. For the most part no significant change was appreciated until I opened a jar of C&D Turkish Ribbon from June 2005. I was able to detect a fruitiness that suggested figs and cherries. Nonetheless I appreciate more fruitiness with aging Virginias and Perique (some Periques more "high" than fruity) and Va/Pers. Whatever an anosmic's observation is worth.

Well grumpy1 I first bought a tin of Cairo and was lucky that is was 2007 and I had never had any before so when I opened it wow it was very fruity smelling and I don't mean a little. So I bought a new tin 2010 and opened it today and I am sure I can very faintly smell something to come, but not near developed yet, just a promise. I couldn't believe the difference in the two. The 2007 is awesome and the 2010 is going in a vacuum sealed jar for a while to see what happens as time moves along.

If I see any more older I will grab it for sure and wish it had been an 8 Oz. tin now, LOL!

I am going to buy at least one 8 Oz. tin very soon to let sit for a while.

Thanks,

Skip