Question about Ball Jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshot

Reaction score
Good evening,
I have a question concerning Ball jars do you just fill them with tobacco and screw on the lid or is there another way to better seal in the contents?
Your comments are greatly appreciated! :D

As long as the jars are clean, that's all there is to it. Just a note, new jars are clean out of the box, if the jar has used, it needs to be sterilized.

There is a method whereby you can create a vacuum seal of the jar if your intent is to cellar the blend. A quick search found these:

http://nocturne.org/aging/jarhowto.php?print=true

and

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-storage/

I jar any tin that I open since it takes me a while before I polish off the contents and it will become tinder if left in the tin. The ball jars keep it pretty nice and fresh - I don't vacuum seal. As long as it remains unopened, I do not intentionally open a tin to transfer the tobacco to a ball jar for cellaring. If it's sealed in the tin it will stay there until I plan on smoking it.

Lou

In trying to keep things simple (that works well for someone like me!!):

1. Wash your jars in the dishwasher on the highest setting, rinse them well, dry them spotless.

2. Wash the jar tops, rings, etc. in the sink; rinse well and dry.

3. Pack the 'baccy in tight, leaving just a bit of room at the top. If the 'baccy is dry, mix with a bit (a bit, not a lot!!) of H2O, then pack. I've also put the H2O on top of the packed 'baccy, it worked out OK!

4. Screw on those jar lids tight. If you are using jars with the metal latches and plastic seals around the top, place two layers of clear plastice wrap over the jar opening before closing and latching the lid.

Tobacco needs a little air to age; true vacuum sealing just preserves it. I check my jars frequently for the "smell" test. If I can't smell it, it's sealed properly! I am now checking my tins and bags on a more frequent basis after the great thread on rusting tins!!!

Just for the record, I have never had moldy or dry tobacco using the above steps. FWIW.....FTRPLT

Thought this was going to be a Sylvia Plath book discussion :)

-Andrew

I use the Food Saver with the Ball/Mason/Etc., jar vacuum lid sealer. I have jars sealed as far back as 1999, in fact just opened a jar of Stokkebye Luxury Curley Cut from the year 2000 and it was great, well amtured and very smooth smoking.

cutshot":knf7un48 said:
Good evening,
I have a question concerning Ball jars do you just fill them with tobacco and screw on the lid or is there another way to better seal in the contents?
Your comments are greatly appreciated! :D
I just screw on the lids tightly and it has worked well on tobacco stored for as long as five years.

Smokey