Question about drillings in crazy shanks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
I've always wondered, how in the world did they drill the shank when its like this??

KTS5911FULL.jpg

collpri07.gif

For those interested, the top pipe is by Kristen Tarp and bottom by Gasparini.

Wood can be steamed and bent. I am only guessing but think the drill might have once had a straight path.

Those pipes are AWESOME!!!! I'd have to guess on the steam bending too, but I don't know how that would work with briar as opposed to other woods. Were those ones briar?

Top pipe is drilled as any normal pipe I guess - where the two sections meet is where the airway goes through at an angle.

Bottom pipe is clearly not one piece of wood all the way so there's part of the secret. It might have been drilled from "outside" and repaired or camouflaged in some way, in each successive part of the bend, or more likely is that each piece was drilled out in a curve (this is a complex little boring device) and then assembled.

Nice pickup Sas, I didn't even notice the points in the second one where the pieces meet.

Sasquatch":5jyp16te said:
more likely is that each piece was drilled out in a curve (this is a complex little boring device)
I'd like to bring such a device into an amateur comedy club to let others experience what I go through when I am dragged to such places.

8)

Anyone want to bill a pipe rack to hold that bottom one? How about pipe cleaners? Interesting novelty item. Pipe I'd want to own? Not really.

JKenP":g2gjx61b said:
Anyone want to bill a pipe rack to hold that bottom one? How about pipe cleaners? Interesting novelty item. Pipe I'd want to own? Not really.
That's funny because it is one I definitely would want to own. Who needs a rack, it looks like the weight is offset enough that it is a sitter.

How many more nightmare-to-carve pipes are you going to force the Brothers to make you, Kai? :lol!: Such a cruel man.

Kyle Weiss":8obeawtj said:
How many more nightmare-to-carve pipes are you going to force the Brothers to make you, Kai? :lol!: Such a cruel man.
Nightmare??? I just challenge creativity for the betterment of future pipe making. Stop being a hater. :lol:

You know, it'd be much easier to get a Douglas MacArthur cob, cut up the shank a few times, miter and re-join the pieces, and have a bunch of right-angles to achieve a "staircase" look. Have some pity on our Bros. :lol!:

Now if that cob was briar instead but the "staircase" was long enough to smoke from the second story window while the pipe was in the bed of my truck....

Kyle Weiss":fu4aoso3 said:
... :fpalm:

You're incorrigible. :lol:
I take that as a compliment coming from the President of the "Incorrigible Society"

O man, i didn't even see the joints on the 2nd pipe, what a disappointment.